• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Rangers, March 12th.

Ryan is not the problem! Most of the time he is living up to his low-level of ability. The problems are that Rask, Skinner, Faulk, Darling and even Hanifin, et.al. are not competing to THEIR expectations! It's making it mighty hard for Aho & Turbo to play to theirs and carry the team. The worse factors are behind the bench. I don't agree that Peters doesn't exactly know how to coach but he doesn't do it well in reality and maybe doesn't know how to put into practice in a game. Yeah, he's a terrible coach. Is Brindy any better? Smith? I'm really concerned that Dundon seemingly thinks so highly of him!

The cherkers have a chance at their playoffs. Don't send darling down and ruin them.
As for the other mishmash of players, blah. Let them run the season out. If they make the playoffs it's because the other teams are worse, not the canes got better.
Peters has got to go. He pretty much ruined Skinner and Faulk and the others aren't paying to their potential.
If it were my team, Peters would have been gone years ago. I never saw anything about him I liked.

Just curious, what does a buyout look like for Scott Darling this summer if the Canes went that route?

We would have to pay him $1,316,667 for each of the next 6 seasons. $7.9 million total.

His cap hits over those 6 seasons would look like:

$716,667
$1,366,667
$2,466,667
$1,316,667
$1,316,667
$1,316,667

The cap hits are different due to his declining salary in the last 2 seasons of his contract. Of course cap hits generally don't matter for the Canes, but they might with Dundon as owner, that remains to be seen.

capfriendly.com provided those numbers....

The cherkers have a chance at their playoffs. Don't send darling down and ruin them.

Darling wouldn't be in Charlotte for this season at this point, that would make no sense at all. The window to have Darling in Charlotte this season really closed more than a month ago.

Next season though, if the Canes really think there is something to salvage and want to spend another $4.75 million on Darling, he would slide right into Jeremy Smith's spot.

Serious question, how bad does it have to get before they realize that Darling is an anchor that needs to be sent far, far away from this team? You simply cannot even consider that to be anything close to an option in net moving forward.

How many times do they have to watch their idiot coach pull the goalie too early/often and allow multiple empty netters before somebody gets the message that he's useless?

Ryan is not the problem! Most of the time he is living up to his low-level of ability. The problems are that Rask, Skinner, Faulk, Darling and even Hanifin, et.al. are not competing to THEIR expectations! It's making it mighty hard for Aho & Turbo to play to theirs and carry the team. The worse factors are behind the bench. I don't agree that Peters doesn't exactly know how to coach but he doesn't do it well in reality and maybe doesn't know how to put into practice in a game. Yeah, he's a terrible coach. Is Brindy any better? Smith? I'm really concerned that Dundon seemingly thinks so highly of him!

Ryan is only a problem because his stupidly stubborn coach keeps running him out in situations where his meagre gifts are a problem. And make no mistake .... continuing to use him on the power play and in 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 scenarios is doing exactly that.

Bottom line ... I was fine with Dundon allowing Peters to coach out the string here, even if he insists on throwing increasingly lukewarm praise his way while doing it, but I'm past fed up with this amateurish garbage. It's one thing to go down swinging with some dignity, it's quite another to be forced to watch our mule of a coach keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Let somebody else take the wheel, Tom. Who gives a crap what the hockey media have to say about virtually anything?

Last edited:
Ryan on the ice in OT? Power play? I'm not blaming him. It's BP's fault. But at least one of the two has to go. Away. Far away. Seattle maybe.

But let's not pretend that Ryan is a good player here...

Imagine if Skinner was afforded as many opportunities as Ryan gets?

Dumbass Bill Peters has to go.

We would have to pay him $1,316,667 for each of the next 6 seasons. $7.9 million total.

His cap hits over those 6 seasons would look like:

$716,667
$1,366,667
$2,466,667
$1,316,667
$1,316,667
$1,316,667

The cap hits are different due to his declining salary in the last 2 seasons of his contract. Of course cap hits generally don't matter for the Canes, but they might with Dundon as owner, that remains to be seen.

capfriendly.com provided those numbers....

Thanks CMal! I'd take the buyout route and cut your losses, have we not all seen enough from #33?

Darling may well prove to be the acid test of our new GM this summer. If he's got the stones to take the hit to buy him out, then fine. But if he keeps him around then it's one of the bigger roster gambles that I can recall.

Even Boomer on Sirius was busting hard on Darling and that 4th goal. I believe the verbiage was akin to "any junior hockey goalie could have covered up that area of the net on that shot". The went on for 5 minutes about what the heck we were going to do next year. And like most folks, there wasn't an obvious answer.

Boomer was harsher than I was last night. I said that Darling's effort on that 4th goal looked like a 16 year old junior hockey goalie effort. Boomer isn't even being that generous....

Next year he's pretty obvious. Sign Cam for two more years. Bring in a really crummy backup who you have zero faith in. Ride Cam till he breaks. Play the backup. Blame another missed playoffs on the backup goalie. Rinse and repeat. It's been 9+years now. You should know this.

Not worrying at all about that anymore. Barring a trade or injury, Alex Nedeljkovic will be one of the 2 Canes goalies next season. The only question we have is the other goalie and if its Cam or someone else.

Nope, going to disagree with you on one part of that. Barring a trade or injury, Alex Nedeljkovic will be one of the 2 Canes goalies next season. The only question I have is the other goalie and if its Cam or someone else.

Honestly, I'm going to guess it's someone else. Francis and Dundon reportedly fell out more over big picture stuff than over the immediate roster issues. I'm thinking Mr New Guy got a whiff of how hard Francis would protect a first round pick and blanched. My early off season prediction ... we blow that first rounder on a goalie this summer. It might work or it might not, but I doubt this team goes into next season with the same old same old in net. It's the very definition of low hanging fruit.

I agree on Ned though. Especially if they over spend on Column A.

On the winning goal, Darling went down in the butterfly, but had his stick lying on his thigh, pointing up ice.. Last time I checked you're supposed to cover 5-hole with your stick, right?

It's OK to blow that 1st round pick on a goalie - BUT, lets not draft one (unless there's an older, proven Lundquist in the draft) Trade that damn pick for a 'proven' netminder and not somebody needing a 'change-of-scenery' one. Like Lack was. Unless we can get him with a 2nd or 3rd.

But I'd bet on Cam and Neds next year.

Back