• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Bruins @ Canes, 7pm

Where was the time out? I started yelling at the TV for "Wild Bill" to call a time out after it was suddenly 4-3...... Soon after it was tied....

Unbelievable.

Great question! According to the Tripster, in the new NHL you have to save that timeout in case you need it for a goal challenge...more excuses for bad coaching I guess. I hope Wild Bill clung to that unused timeout like a teddy bear last night at home after that debacle.

You know what I love about this team and this coaching staff? Nothing!!!

Apparently Tommy D is out of the country on vacation this week and will return next week and conduct GM interviews. Maybe Wild Bill hopes that game last night was not on the hotel TV in Fiji or wherever Mr Dundon is vacationing...

Great question! According to the Tripster, in the new NHL you have to save that timeout in case you need it for a goal challenge...more excuses for bad coaching I guess. I hope Wild Bill clung to that unused timeout like a teddy bear last night at home after that debacle.

Tripp as usual is full of excuses and not sense. You know what's more important than saving your time out so you can waste it on yet another ill-advised goal challenge? Yeah ... winning the stupid game. If ever a team needed a TO to get their crap together it was the Canes after that 3rd Bruins goal. It was OBVIOUS that they were shaken and your veteran goaltender actually started to move towards the bench area in anticipation of a time out ... TAKE THE TIME OUT BILL ... YOU UTTER MORON.

Where does Bill get the audacity to be a smug *******? What exactly has he accomplished as an NHL coach to entitle him to that attitude? Its long overdue that the media grill him mercilessly in the post game pressers. He's a lame duck anyhow, make him sweat. Make him answer. I'd love to slap that smirk off his face.....

It looked to me right from the start of the 3rd that we were pulling back and trying to play more defensively - less aggressively. We gave them time and space and they did what everyone does to our goalies when they have time and space - feasted.

As always with this team under Peters, there's a legit strategic reason to do that and a legit way to go about doing and we're just not well coached enough to pull it off. We all know the drill around here. We watched Maurice do this a million times. Here's how to Turtle successfully ... you get the puck, you get it out of your zone, you get it DEEP, you change lines. Rinse, repeat as many times as needed to get the clock to :00. You do NOT put the puck back in play, Cam Ward. You do NOT make speculative no-look passes, Justin Williams and Teuvo Teravainen. You do NOT take delay of game penalties trying to flip a puck out of the zone on your backhand, Justin Faulk. You do NOT try to beat three defenders by yourself, Jeff Skinner. You do NOT take defensive chances when you are one on one in your own end, Hayden Fleury. You do NOT go for a big hit and leave yourself out of position, Brock McGinn. You make the simple, boring, low risk play and you help each other out. You take the icing instead of taking a chance. You don't worry about scoring, or anything other than killing the clock one shift at a time.

They turtled without any clue of how to do such a thing ... because they are ill disciplined and poorly coached. Veterans and kids alike.

This is the same stuff we see regardless of who's coaching the team. Years and years of this same sh!t! We see guys trying to take shortcuts, cheating, forgetting fundamentals, trying to do it on their own and guys under pressure choking. Is that coaching or is this a poorly composed team? Is this a culture of losing that has enveloped this franchise? What was a good game turned on it's ass in 8 minutes. This is a team without confidence or leadership.

I get the criticisms of Skinner and being a one man show. But has he ever had a playmaking center worth a darn to feed him? He had several good opportunities in the 3rd, but was playing completely alone out there.

If I'm Skinner, I can't wait until I am out of this contract and hitting free agency. Same for Jordan Staal.

This is the same stuff we see regardless of who's coaching the team. Years and years of this same sh!t! We see guys trying to take shortcuts, cheating, forgetting fundamentals, trying to do it on their own and guys under pressure choking. Is that coaching or is this a poorly composed team? Is this a culture of losing that has enveloped this franchise? What was a good game turned on it's ass in 8 minutes. This is a team without confidence or leadership.

I don't really think it's true that we've never seen well coached, disciplined teams here. There were times during Mo's tenure (starting in about 2001) when we were boring AF but the team was well drilled in what they did. The frustration then was that the guy just didn't have any clue how to open the offensive taps. Laviolette also was a really good coach and we played a well drilled game when he was here. Too aggressive by a good measure and a half sometimes ... but they had a gameplan and they didn't veer away from it too often. But since Mo 2.0 ended, this team has suffered from just horrible coaching. Peters is better than Mueller was, but that's like saying my fingernails are a bit longer today than they were yesterday.

And don't get me wrong. Peters is a completely different coach than Mueller. Captain Kirk was absolutely clueless. The guy was miles over his head and never managed to get his teams doing much of anything cohesive. It was the ultimate in "roll out the pucks and let the boys" play nonsense when he was here. Peters has his fat, obsessive binder full of strategies but sadly those strategies were all built around having the talent to play a modified version of Scotty Bowman's Red Wings era Euro pass and move system ... with just enough modern advanced metrics mumbo-jumbo thrown in to try and make the rubes forget that this system is just something he cribbed off of Scotty. IMO the biggest problem with Peters isn't that he doesn't know what he's doing but rather than he's so stubborn and arrogant that he doesn't accept that there are a million other ways to play the game ... most of which would suit his available personnel MUCH better than what he's trying to do.

I get the criticisms of Skinner and being a one man show. But has he ever had a playmaking center worth a darn to feed him? He had several good opportunities in the 3rd, but was playing completely alone out there.

You know there's no bigger proponent of freeing Skinner up to do his thing than me, but there's a time and place for freedom. The 3rd period of last night's game was neither the time nor the place for Skinner's solo runs in the offensive zone. He's been around too long not to know that.

They turtled without any clue of how to do such a thing ... because they are ill disciplined and poorly coached. Veterans and kids alike.

And let's not forget how Noah Hanifin just loves to pinch at the worst possible time leading to Grade-A scoring chances on the resulting odd man rush. He seemingly can just not help himself. And you do NOT even think about doing this in a tight game.

The Mighty Forslund has used the word character or lack thereof with this bunch a whole lot of late. Outside of the passion and character of one guy...Justin Williams, I just see to a large degree a whole lot of nothing when it comes to character, leadership, confidence. Even guys like Slavin, Pesce, Lindholm, Rask, Hanafin...these are no longer rookies, at some point you have to ask yourself what gives with guys being around for 2, 3, 4 years and they still dont seem to get it. Faulk and Skinner have had awful years, Darling, a train wreck...Ryan, Nordstrom, PDG, Stempniak, Dahlbeck...yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck.

The new GM will need to find more Justin Williams types...this team is fragile and the so called core has shown zero interest in leading by example and you really have to question the character of many of the so called core as well.

The Mighty Forslund has used the word character or lack thereof with this bunch a whole lot of late. Outside of the passion and character of one guy...Justin Williams, I just see to a large degree a whole lot of nothing when it comes to character, leadership, confidence. Even guys like Slavin, Pesce, Lindholm, Rask, Hanafin...these are no longer rookies, at some point you have to ask yourself what gives with guys being around for 2, 3, 4 years and they still dont seem to get it. Faulk and Skinner have had awful years, Darling, a train wreck...Ryan, Nordstrom, PDG, Stempniak, Dahlbeck...yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck.

The new GM will need to find more Justin Williams types...this team is fragile and the so called core has shown zero interest in leading by example and you really have to question the character of many of the so called core as well.

I really don't think it's a character issue with the players. I think they're overwhelmed with being asked by the coach to execute a system that is beyond their collective capability to successfully and consistently execute. And, on top of that, when they try to execute it and make the inevitable errors due to not having the overall talent, our goalie situation means that 90% of those end up in the back of our net. At the end of the game, Peters says we just need to execute better - by which he means Ryan needs to be Zetterburg, Hanifin needs to be Lindstrom, etc.

I think Peters needs to go ASAP and probably Brindy with him.

All those guys know is losing. You have to shake up the roster to bring in some guys who understand what it takes to win and to change the team culture. Williams was a good attempt at it, but the reality is everyone knows he is on his retirement tour and has already won his Cups. That wasn't why he signed in Carolina. The Canes need to find some younger guys (and a coach/GM) that know what it is like to win and are motivated to change the culture here. For as much as I like Justin Williams, I don't think he cares enough to try and change things on his own. He needs help so as to not be the lone voice. This is going to be an interesting off-season in Raleigh.

Peters will be on 99.9 today at 6:15.

I doubt either host will ask BP any burning questions.

Those wimps will exchange recipes, and Gold will pretend for about 3 minutes that he's been following the Canes since they've been here....ultimately again putting his foot in his mouth by demonstrating the he can't name 5 current players without a roster in front of him.

I really don't think it's a character issue with the players. I think they're overwhelmed with being asked by the coach to execute a system that is beyond their collective capability to successfully and consistently execute. .....

Peters completely needs to go, but I am only going to give the players a free pass on not being able to score. Putting the puck in the net IS a skill the Canes don't have enough. Not being able to follow a system (no matter how bad the coaching is) is not something I will excuse the players for. These guys are NHL professionals and if an expansion team in Vegas can get guys to buy into a system there is no excuse for this bunch. Any NHL player is capable of being taught and playing a system. The Carolina problems lie with a lousy coach and system that does not match the personnel on the ice. The players also don't seem to give a crap and that is on them.

System? What's the "System"? The Canes are a bunch of super soft nice guys that play no-check hockey. That's their "System". Problem is, it doesn't get you wins in the NHL. Unfortunately, that's the type of players RF hired. And Mr. Bill coaches them to play that way.

I'm not sure the culture of losing theory makes sense. These guys have all won at various levels - some of them in the NHL.

I think the issue is the coach and his system rather than the players that is the issue. I think the system magnifies our challenges in goal, and also makes the more marginally talented players less useful because they are not capable of executing what they need to execute well enough to succeed, and it makes relatively minor mistakes defensively lead to more dangerous chances.

After repeatedly trying to make it work I think they're demoralized.

as evidence, our more talented players (Tuevo, Lindholm, Aho) are able to execute successfully, while our less talented guys have completely disappeared from the scoring categories. And Skinner is never going to be your system player, so he gets punished by being put out there without any help with predictable results.

Again, demonstrating the arrogance AND ignorance of Bill Peters. Who looks a lot like a guy trying to get fired.

Back