• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ NYI 3/18 5:00 pm

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Once again, I'll be tied up at Oak City Comicon all day so I'm blissfully out of this one.

Carolina wraps up the season series with the Islanders, who managed to muck up their chase for the playoffs just about as comprehensively as the Canes did. The two have basically identical records (Carolina has one more point courtesy of one more OT loss), and both are curiously coached at best. Carolina has a lame duck general manager, and Garth Snow has seemed like a lame duck on the Island for going on four years now. So, pretty much a scrimmage.

You guys can fill in the lineup news and such. I'm hitting the show floor at the Con in a few minutes.

A battle of the giants, one for the ages, an epic war between these two major contenders.

Hanifin didn’t travel with an upper body injury suffered last night, so Dahlbeck comes in. Darling starts in goal.

Tonight is also the “John Tavares on wing” experiment for the Isles.

Per Michael Smith, here is the lineup:

McGinn-Staal-Lindholm
Teravainen-Aho-Williams
Skinner-Ryan-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Rask-Di Giuseppe

Slavin-Pesce
Dahlbeck-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Darling
Ward

2-0 Canes so far. Playoff pressure is off. Time for the Canes to do the usual and run the table the rest of the year and miss the playoffs by 2 points. This team is great when they don't HAVE to win.

Slavin and Stempniak with goals 1:54 apart put the Canes up 2-0. Nordstrom had the primary assist on Slavin’s goal, his first point since 2015 (Ok, it just seems like it. Really his first point since 11/18.)

Who knows would have been nice to see some physicality from him at some other point of this season.

Darling gets the "much not needed team win, but good gravy does he need wins", win.

After Cam can't stop beach balls. Please let Neds be NHL ready by October.

It’s going to take Peters’ firing or a trade to get Jeff Skinner away from Ryan and Stempniak. That’s just blatant misuse of a scorer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peters knows he's a goner. His attitude stinks of "don't care". He's going to get eaten alive in a bigger market if everyone is correct and thinks he's such a great coach. He can't handle Cory Lavalette asking him questions....it won't get easier.

Darling gets the "much not needed team win, but good gravy does he need wins", win.

After Cam can't stop beach balls. Please let Neds be NHL ready by October.

Did you catch Darling's "save attempt" on the Lee's second goal? I'm not sure I've ever seen a more awkward move by a goalie in my lifetime, or a bigger 5 hole opening. After that little move gets on tape it's an absolute certainty that we're going to have to buy him out to get rid of him.

Did you catch Darling's "save attempt" on the Lee's second goal? I'm not sure I've ever seen a more awkward move by a goalie in my lifetime, or a bigger 5 hole opening.

Darling had the posts protected. If Lee had deflected that towards either post Darling would have stopped it. Anything actually on goal was going in for sure. That was just another brutal example of Darling's complete ineptness. I mean again, his actual performance out there is ECHL level at best. How realistic is it that he is somehow going to change to be an NHL level goaltender out there next season?

Really the best thing for the Canes AND for Darling would be a buyout. That would allow some other team to take a chance on Darling being their #3 goalie with a hopes that he finds some form on a low cost one year 2 way contract. He really needs to start over in the minors again if he is ever going to be a capable NHL goalie again. He's not the first guy this has happened to. He will still get most of his money from the Canes so the 2 way should be acceptable to him if he really wants to someday have a chance to play in the NHL again.

If the Canes elect NOT to buyout or use a trade with us eating 50% to get Darling out of here, they are completely nuts. Sure we could bury him in the AHL as our #3 and have him split time with Booth in Charlotte next season, but I think he really needs to get the heck out of this organization and forget about this entire season. It would be a real slap in the face for all of the rest of the players coming back here next season and to the fans if Scott Darling is one of our 2 goalies next season. It didn't work out, it was an epically horrible experience for all involved, pull the plug, eat the money and move on please.

Last edited:
Back