• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Oilers @ Canes 3/20 7:00 pm

I mean, Peters is BEGGING to be fired.

His comments after the last 2 losses are of a man who knows he's dead man walking. Comments about some players not being vested after the Flyers game and last night not expressing concern about missing the playoffs every year he's been here.

Francis/Peters era:

14-15: 71 pts Drafted 5th (Hanifin)

15-16: 86 pts Drafted 13th (Bean)

16-17: 87 pts Drafted 12th (Necas)

17-18 (73GP): projected 84 pts Currently drafting 11th

We're flat-lining, if not declining.

84 pts is a generous projection and did not include last night's game result. Could easily improve draft position to 9th as only a point above the two tied for that slot and holding no tiebreakers. Seventh worse GF/GA differential in the league (-35).

Need talent. Stat.

I'm not sure about the "not putting in the work" thing. That's not it. The JV can put in all the work they possibly can, but they just cannot compete with the Varsity for a full 60 minutes. The law of averages has kicked in in high gear right now for this team. Our position in the standings is quite remarkable for the talent level. I think we've over achieved to be 21 out of 31, but anytime the other team steps on the gas, our guys have nothing extra to give. Except for a handful of guys we are mediocre at best. Lose all of the remaining games and we finish just about where our talent should take us.

This is all on GMRF and Mr. Bill. Ron built the wrong mix of players and Bill stubbornly refused to change the system to better suit the available talent. Both should have been gone months ago. If Dundon doesn't completely clean house he's a fool.

Agree 100%. A complete failure by both of those two on all counts and the inability to even try to make adjustments to better suit the style for the mix they had is just inexcusable.

Francis simply missed the boat on addressing the goaltending issue, failed miserably to find more center help last summer and frankly whiffed and just didn't execute a single player for player trade to try something/anything differently.

As for Peters...I simply do not even have the energy to list all of his brain farts here...but he's like that wounded animal on the side of the road right now, please just put him down.

Francis/Peters era:

14-15: 71 pts Drafted 5th (Hanifin)

15-16: 86 pts Drafted 13th (Bean)

16-17: 87 pts Drafted 12th (Necas)

17-18 (73GP): projected 84 pts Currently drafting 11th

We're flat-lining, if not declining.

84 pts is a generous projection and did not include last night's game result. Could easily improve draft position to 9th as only a point above the two tied for that slot and holding no tiebreakers. Seventh worse GF/GA differential in the league (-35).

Need talent. Stat.

Seems to me the system they are trying to play is beyond the current talent pool we have. Our roster has enough talent to have done better this season - but not with this system. Our goalie play was the link that broke it beyond repair, but this system is only suited to a handful of our forwards and particularly not suited to our goalies. Need a coach that's able to recognize the limitations he has with his roster and implement a system that allows them to succeed. Instead he insists that they need to outwork the other team and execute better.

Cant recall last time I watched a coach try to get fired. Bill has found something he's good at.

Is he though? I mean, that hasn't worked either, as he's still employed.

How much ice time is Zykov seeing?

He played with Rask and PDG on the fourth line and did pull a couple of shifts with the second PP unit. He totaled a little more than 15 minutes as Peters just put in in auto-pilot with the lines after it turned into a route. Frankly, he looked like an NHL player same as he did last year when he came up. He went to the front of the net early and often ... unlike the majority of our forwards ... made some shifty plays along the wall and didn't look terrible in his own end either. That line got completely undressed on one possession by the Oil ... I think it was on Draisaitl's goal late in the 2nd ... but they were by no means our worst line and that one's not on the kid by any means.

If Dundon doesn't completely clean house he's a fool.

Here's the thing. We're months into this new regime and I'm still looking for the first piece of evidence that Dundon is anything other than energetic. I'm not saying he's a fool, but we have looked pretty foolish as an organization thus far in his time as owner. I've said before that I'm in "show me" mode. He ain't showed me much.

It's a given as far as I'm concerned that we need something other than Bill Peter's bumbling of the human factor and actually, you know, that thing called coaching, before we even get to piling on his stubborn adherence to The Binder system of Bowman/Russian hockey that needs the perfect player to play the perfect game to actually achieve.

So, yes, need a coach that can mold what we do have into something other than what we have.

But the player personnel also needs a big stir from the bottom upward and some actual top-six talent added to the top six to push some of the tweeners downward.

Need talent at both the management and the player levels. Let's get serious.

I humbly suggest that "getting serious" at this point would be putting Peters (and us) out of his misery by going ahead and firing the guy now and letting Smitty or Brind'Amour coach out the string. I mean, if he's not going to make a single lineup change during the entirely of a 7-3 butt kicking that could honestly have been even worse, then he's clearly gone into stasis. Why let him stick around if he's not even trying?

I humbly suggest that "getting serious" at this point would be putting Peters (and us) out of his misery by going ahead and firing the guy now and letting Smitty or Brind'Amour coach out the string. I mean, if he's not going to make a single lineup change during the entirely of a 7-3 butt kicking that could honestly have been even worse, then he's clearly gone into stasis. Why let him stick around if he's not even trying?

Exactly. I started to write the same sentiment yesterday, but decided not to bother. A few weeks ago, I was all for letting Peters finish the season before firing him, because I thought it would put undue pressure on anyone who took his place this late in the season. But now, I think his presence is hurting the team because the players don't appear to respect him and he doesn't appear to care. So yes, let Roddy give it a shot (I have my doubts) and at least it will give us a chance to see if he has the same perspective as Peters or is willing to try something different.

Back