• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT MAR 21: Spring in the Air

4 goals went right through him. 4 weak shots. 4 saves that would have been routine easy saves with proper positioning.

He stunk last night, and cost us a game in which we outplayed an elite team on the road without our best player. If you can't admit it, the bias is all yours.

And since I've already shown you my game thread history of praising Freddy, while you have never said a bad word about him AND have run in screaming about reimer every time anyone else does, it's clear which one of us is biased when it comes to Freddy.

Whatever man. If you don't see the different standards you hold Anderson to compared to your lover boy Reimer, you are more out to lunch than I anticipated.

And I have very recently mentioned that Anderson's play has slipped (ie the Sabres and Stars GDT's) and that he may be overworked and in need of rest down the stretch.

I just don't have an irrational hate on for the guy like you do. For about 80% of the year, this guy has been this team's MVP. Especially in the winter months when the offence had dried
up and we were scoring 1-2 goals a game.

To come in between this.... I think Andersen has been overworked as well. McBackup has been phenomenal. Consummate pro. We are not in any danger of missing the playoffs, I would love to see all kinds of intelligent experiments by Mike Babcock.

Any real good stuff we are seeing right now, in the lineup, is because of injury and Shanahan putting his foot down. Shanahan is the reason Kapanen and Johnsson are up. And Dermott.

Shanahan follows the Marlies apparently, in an almost obsessive manner. Good for him. Babcock? Heck, he can barely remember their names half the time.

Classic was when Babcock looked down at his sheet of paper the other night and said Johnsson, yeah, he had, and suddenly his voice got very serious, he had seven shots.

Seven shots! That is a guy who gets in front of the net Babcock.

Babcock has never had intervention like he is getting now, before. Thank god its happening. And he will shut up about it too, cause he knows this is the one crazy financial market where if he doesn't play close to the best lineup, he could get fired and MLSE would barely feel it.

Last edited:
March isn't over yet, and he's missed a bunch of games due to injury so far so sample size is smaller. And we all know he struggles in October. In 5 of 7 months, he has been above average to elite. And this doesn't even take into consideration that he is by far the NHL's most overworked goalie.

And by the way, no goalie is awesome every month. Even the elite ones.

Scroll back. It wasn't me that claimed he was awesome or should be every month.

It's about consistency. I said I'm no longer convinced he's rectified his consistency problem. Go ahead and excuse him due to his usage and injury. Laughable how much you stat haters excuse him with all kinds of things.

The one thing is indeed his usage. That's on Babcock. Funny thing is a bunch of the Freddy defenders keep pointing out that he's awesome due to his workload, excusing his inability to rank highly with his save percentage.

Adults, please.

Better question is, do you really think he has been awesome every month?

uh...no?

And how is that the better question?? I've been saying he's an averagish starter all along.

October: .898
November: .938
December: .924
January: .928
February: .922
March: .858

I count one "awesome" month in there and one and a half ugly ones.

I see .920+ goaltending for 4 months there. I don't particularly care about what adjective you use, the point is that he's going to have bad months in a season. It's not a surprise.

The bigger issue is him going soft down the stretch. Ironically, this started right around the time people started saying he's a Vezina candidate.

None of those people post here. Or not many, at least. It was the idiot media, as usual.

Over his last 16 games, he's only had three games where he's let in fewer than 3 goals. Four quality starts over that stretch. This substandard play has been papered over by the Leafs ability to score.

which won't happen in the playoffs. He needs to get his shit back together.

What's interesting about Babs overworking Andersen is, aside from the goalie, he is so overcautious with the forwards and D and making sure they are not overplayed. Everyone plays less minutes than comparable players on other teams.

Whatever man. If you don't see the different standards you hold Anderson to compared to your lover boy Reimer, you are more out to lunch than I anticipated.

Reiner carried a bad team to the playoffs with near elite save percentage and almost stole a round against a cup contender.....and then hilariously got blamed for the team losing, and got replaced by an inferior goalie.

I don't know how the situation is similar, or why it even matters.

Freddy stunk last night. And not for the first time. And yet you not only can never utter a word of criticism, but run in screaming with all sorts of this kind of irrelevance nonsense any time anyone dares to criticize him.

Meanwhile you will shit all over a team that just went into an elite team's barn and outplayed them without their best player.

And I have very recently mentioned that Anderson's play has slipped (ie the Sabres and Stars GDT's) and that he may be overworked and in need of rest down the stretch.

I just don't have an irrational hate on for the guy like you do. For about 80% of the year, this guy has been this team's MVP. Especially in the winter months when the offence had dried
up and we were scoring 1-2 goals a game.

And here we go again - our goalie has not even been a clear top 10 goalie in the league this year but he's our MVP.

This is simply the result of being bad at watching hockey - and thinking the team sucks because they allow some scoring chances and don't outplay their opponent 100% of the game.

uh...no?

And how is that the better question?? I've been saying he's an averagish starter all along.

I see .920+ goaltending for 4 months there. I don't particularly care about what adjective you use, the point is that he's going to have bad months in a season. It's not a surprise.

None of those people post here. Or not many, at least. It was the idiot media, as usual.

which won't happen in the playoffs. He needs to get his shit back together.

Fair enough on all points but the last one.

Freddy could easily keep wobbling into the playoffs. The Leafs firepower can definitely keep it going in the playoffs. Time will tell. The Bruins' and Lightning's goalies are both wobbly as well.

the most annoying goal was the first one. we were utterly dominating them and then we make one mistake leading to a half chance at the end of the period and it goes right through him and they're right back in the game.

the 2nd goal was almost as annoying. sure a bad line change did lead to an odd man rush...but they barely even took advantage of it. For some reason Andy was nowhere near in position and McDonagh quickly flipped it into the gaping net without having to even make much of a play. right at the start of the period.

then panic starts to set in. guys start to fumble it a bit while the bolts just start throwing pucks at the net from all angles and the tying goal bounces in. though even that was very savage if Andy had been square.

Fair enough on all points but the last one.

Freddy could easily keep wobbling into the playoffs. The Leafs firepower can definitely keep it going in the playoffs. Time will tell. The Bruins' and Lightning's goalies are both wobbly as well.

yeah both are beatable. I'd rather play Tampa because I think that's more our style of game.

'ere ya go, Freddy lovers and stats haters:

DYxzXSiXUAAFvs5.jpg

Look who has the worst game score last night.

Hasn't everybody been saying Hainsey looks tired?

I'd rather play Tampa because I think we match up nicely, but mostly, Boston has rat-face-weasel-boy, and my guess is he goes after Matthews' shoulder right away.
...hell, you never know what that puke will do, including score, unfortunately.

Annoying game to lose but at least it's not in a playoff series deciding game. The boys can learn from this and be prepared come playoff time.

Nylander line struggled down the stretch, Andersen was not good last night but neither was the team. Off to Nashville, so much bitching over one loss

I’ve never seen that one. What produces the individual scores? How can they compare the goalie with the other skaters?

Nylander line struggled down the stretch, Andersen was not good last night but neither was the team. Off to Nashville, so much bitching over one loss

the team outplayed an elite team on the road, without their best player.

I love that all you guys do is yell about Reiner every time Freddy sucks.

In this case it's even sillier because the leafs were clearly outplayed in that game and that series, and Reiner was the only reason we got that far. hell the same was true of that whole season.

but for ****'s sake what does reimer have to do with Freddy sucking this game? you guys are obsessed.

Who’s yelling about Reimer? Again, I liked him and hated Bernier, and hated the decision to replace him with that loser.

I’m just using that Boston game as an example. I don’t care who the goalie was, but based on your criteria, the goalie cost us the game because we fell apart in the last ten minutes.

And we did. We were in cruise control until then.

If Andy was the sole cause last night, then so was Reimer that game.

I still find it incredibly amusing that you don’t have even one negative comment for Rielly on the game winner, just that Freddy should’ve somehow stopped a deflection off his skate in front. A play that goalies never, ever get blamed for, is somehow all on Andersen.

'ere ya go, Freddy lovers and stats haters:

DYxzXSiXUAAFvs5.jpg

Look who has the worst game score last night.

the weakness of these stats is that they don't account for quality of competition for the skaters, but that's irrelevant for freddy.

so let's look at two guys at opposite ends of the list (and look at ones that didn't score any points to influence their gamescore) - so let's look at Dermott and hainsey.

Vs Stamkos/Kucherov/Miller

Dermott 0:57 avg
Hainsey 6:25 avg

Vs Point/Palat/Johnson

Dermott 1:13 avg
Hainsey 4:23 avg

Vs Gourde/Killorn/Erne

Dermott 5:57 avg
Hainsey 1:10 avg

Vs Cirelli/Kunitz/Callahan

Dermott 4:02 avg
Hainsey 1:07 avg

Vs Hedman/Stralman

Dermott: 3:33 avg
Hainsey: 6:54 avg

Vs McDonagh/Girardi

Dermott: 4:13 avg
Hainsey: 2:58 avg

Vs Sergachev/Coburn

Dermott: 4:27 avg
Hainsey: 3:16 avg

for me, that's why gamescore is so poor.

but again, that has nothing to do with freddy's score.

Back