• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Sens 3/26 7:00

Depends on the hire of the GM I guess, and if Dundon believes Wild Bill is the guy come summer with a new GM on board, then you would have to assume that the roster is going to get a make over to suit Bill's needs. Does that mean even more Derek Ryan???

With any luck, it would mean a different guy who can do what Ryan can do while possessing the body of an actual professional athlete so he doesn't get thrown around like a middle schooler in a high school pickup game.

If he has Lindy, Staal and Aho on the 1st PP unit, he doesn't have a center for the 2nd unit unless he uses Ryan.

You know of course, that he's not actually forced to use all three of those guys on one PP unit, right? That's a choice ... and a bad one.

Last night was a good example of not knowing how to set your PP lines.

And once Joel Quenneville is fired in Chicago, if the Canes don't make a huge push to get him, I'm going to be PO'd

You know what? If you are having trouble coming up with two PP units, just use the lines you already have together. Then if you want a forward on the point, chose from the remaining forwards.

Zykov-Aho-Turbo
McGinn-Staal-Williams

Skinner-RD
LD-Lindy

There, FIFY Bill.

And once Joel Quenneville is fired in Chicago, if the Canes don't make a huge push to get him, I'm going to be PO'd

Quenneville and Francis would have been a good partnership, but Dundon has already made up his mind on the coach I'm afraid.

I hope Dundon isn't that stupid. I'll e forced to spend the summer deciding which if any NHL team I want to follow next year if he is.

You know of course, that he's not actually forced to use all three of those guys on one PP unit, right? That's a choice ... and a bad one.

Yes, it's a choice. But with Rask done for the season, we're suddenly a little thin at center. Although Ryan was getting PP time when Rask was healthy, 8th most on the team, averaging more than 2 minutes of PP time per game.

Yes, it's a choice. But with Rask done for the season, we're suddenly a little thin at center. Although Ryan was getting PP time when Rask was healthy, 8th most on the team, averaging more than 2 minutes of PP time per game.

Ryan's production simply doesn't support his power play time no matter how you look at it. The guy has been a mainstay on that second unit all season regardless of circumstances and regardless of any roster changes. That tells me that Peters either thinks he doesn't have options (wrong ... you ALWAYS have options) or he's too set in his ways to consider another solution. He doesn't even noticeably prefer the "first" unit lately. Both units play a full minute at a pull unless we take a penalty in the meantime ourselves. Honestly ... NOBODY else handles their power play units that way.

And like I've said for two decades now ... in Hurricanesland, when you're the only team in the league doing something it generally means you're wrong, not that you're somehow being innovative.

I'm not optimistic at all that Dundon is going to find (or maybe is even interested in finding) a GM outside the tent. I'm afraid it's either Waddell or Vellucci while the owner plays with his new toy before reading the instructions.

If so, that pretty much guarantees Bill Peters continues into next season, at least until owner tires of him and/or needs to make a change.

But I'm also not optimistic that without the outside hand on the wheel that the lineup will not greatly change from what we're looking at today.

Drives me nuts to see Ryan out there on PP, too. But not only is there a center shortage with Rask out, there is also a right-shot shortage with Faulk out.

Who is the last NHL coach to survive 4 years of not making the playoffs? I honestly don't know, but I can't imagine it has happened in a long time nor be a frequent thing in the modern NHL.

Who is the last NHL coach to survive 4 years of not making the playoffs? I honestly don't know, but I can't imagine it has happened in a long time nor be a frequent thing in the modern NHL.

Trotz missed the playoffs his first 5 years in Nashville (98-03), and yes I know they were an expansion team.

I'm not optimistic at all that Dundon is going to find (or maybe is even interested in finding) a GM outside the tent. I'm afraid it's either Waddell or Vellucci while the owner plays with his new toy before reading the instructions.

If so, that pretty much guarantees Bill Peters continues into next season, at least until owner tires of him and/or needs to make a change.

But I'm also not optimistic that without the outside hand on the wheel that the lineup will not greatly change from what we're looking at today.

I really hadn't thought about Vellucci, but if Dundon is going to stick with in house options then I vastly prefer him over Waddell ... who has always been fairly hapless and who has absolutely zero credibility locally. Vellucci at least has along history of success in major junior, has a pretty good eye for development and has had an actual career in the management end of the business.

Vellucci is also, by far, my choice for GM, if you're reading, Tom. :sarcasm

He's wheeled and dealed for years as the GM/coach for the org's junior team. And we're looking for someone to execute Year 5 of the Francis plan: wheeling and dealing for the missing parts as we weed the garden and reap the crop.

He's worked the phones and cut the deals. He's made the tough decisions as to who to keep, who to trade, and who to discard. He's plugged the holes.

So if it's work with in-house talent, he's my choice. Let Waddell take care of the business side for you.

Back