• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Devils 3/27 7:00 pm

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Umm, guys. The Canes have got another game tonight.

So, Carolina is temporarily reinvigorated by an injection of AHLers who aren't yet jaded and worn to a nub. They run through some fellow stragglers in the last week or so, but now it's back on the plane for a trip to the Rock to play a team that still gives a crap. New Jersey is far from safe, sitting one thin point in front of the Panthers for the 8th and final playoff spot. Carolina meanwhile is about 3 losses away from calling the caterer to schedule the end of the year picnic and golf outing.

So ... whatever, man. We'll see how it goes. I assume we'll get the same lines and pairings with Darling in net and probably get beat like 6-3.

If you are a doubter like Bill Peters is and Ronnie Francis was before he got canned, expect that Zykov and Foegele will both go pointless tonight, both end up -2 or worse and probably get injured after some big NHL bullies crush them.

The Devils really need this game, the Canes are already cooked. Canes basically have a chance to play the spoiler role tonight. Since this game actually matters to someone I expect the Canes to get destroyed, but who knows what will really happen.

If you are a doubter like Bill Peters is and Ronnie Francis was before he got canned, expect that Zykov and Foegele will both go pointless tonight, both end up -2 or worse and probably get injured after some big NHL bullies crush them.

The Devils really need this game, the Canes are already cooked. Canes basically have a chance to play the spoiler role tonight. Since this game actually matters to someone I expect the Canes to get destroyed, but who knows what will really happen.

I'm a believer ... in Zykov at least, especially if he gets to stick it out on a line with Turbo and Aho. I figure the Canes get crushed, but that the new top line continues to look good. Here's the thing with both Zykov and Foegele ... they both have NHL bodies and they've been through the wars ... Zykov in multiple AHL seasons and Foegele in the Mem Cup. These are not Carolina's typically fragile prospects. Never fear ... we've got plenty of other guys built like pipe cleaners in the pipeline.

Right, guys like Wallmark and Kuokkanen need to be watch themselves and Necas better be shifty as hell or needs to put on about 30 pounds at least. But then we have Nicolas Roy (6'4" 208), Julian Gauthier (6'4" 225) and even Saarela has a SKinner build (5'11" 198). Again Ronnie did good to add bigger guys to the system, we have more of them than we have had in years.

I'm a believer ... in Zykov at least, especially if he gets to stick it out on a line with Turbo and Aho...

Hmm. Turbo(t) - Seabas(s) - Zeke? I'm trying to figure out what direction to go with this, but it has potential.

Stempniak in for Nordstrom, Darling in goal, everything else same as last night. Maybe Foegele gets more PK time with Nordstorm out.

Foegele is the power forward This team hasn't had in many years. Incredible puck strength. I haven't seen a Cane battle a puck to the goal like his two goals, in many many moons.

Meanwhile, Kinetico Bill is adding an entry to his notebook, backdated to Christmas, that reads “want to call up Zykov and Foegele but RF won’t let me”

A bad D to D pass lead to a huge scramble then we got it out but took a bad neutral zone penalty and they converted on the PP.

Don't know what's got into Dahlbeck and Darling but they shoulda played like that all season. All the Canes are playing like the playoffs are on the line - Debbies, too and for them it is. This one intense game - I'M gonna be exhausted!

Dahlbeck needs to learn when to pass to space. (Not in the defensive zone when the opposition is charging at you.

Back