• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Caps 3/30 7:00 pm

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well, onward and ... sideways? Who knows?

Carolina gets back on the horse tonight in our Nation's Capital, as they take on the Capitals in the Capital One Arena. What's in my wallet? Like $20 less than before I got this hot dog and beer. Oh, and I just typed some form of the word Capital like three times in a sentence, so there's that. As an aside, despite the rebranding this year, this building is not really aging well. Just another reminder of how good we've got it in Raleigh with the PNC. You can throw a truck load of stones at the hockey franchise, but our building remains top class.

Anyway ... I digress. The hockey is what we're here for. I guess. Kinda, sorta. This is game one of yet another freaking back to back set. The second leg is against fellow stragglers the Rangers so I guess Ward in net tonight and the human erector set Darling tomorrow. I swore I'd never watch Darling in person again so I hope he gets the nod tonight. Looks like Faulk is a go to return to the lineup after completing practice without issues yesterday. Yippee? Either way, McKeown is back in Charlotte along with Foegele. The Caps are looking to break 100 points tonight and sit comfortably in first place in the Metro Division. Mismatch City ... so the Canes will probably win. That's how this goes, right?

Enjoy? I mean, at this stage these things are completely optional.

Last edited:
Canes magic number now down to just one with the Devils OT loss to the Penguins.

So this is the weekend that no doubt the forced Acceptance stage begins for those not already there in the steps of fan grief.

Canes need ALL the points in this back-to-back Fri/Sat series AND for the Devils to not gain any points when they host the Islanders on Saturday or visit Montreal on Sunday.

And that's just to make it through the weekend.

Early recognition of the inevitable --> Acceptance

Early recognition of the inevitable --> Acceptance

Heck man. I've been accepting of the Canes inevitable failure to reach the playoffs for so long that I've moved on ... to being ticked off about it again.

There was actually a point about a month ago where I got suckered into believing the Canes would make the playoffs this year. I can't believe I fell for it and should have known better! On to next year!!

There was actually a point about a month ago where I got suckered into believing the Canes would make the playoffs this year. I can't believe I fell for it and should have known better! On to next year!!

Yeah. They mixed in that second flirtation with the playoff line. That was a gut punch for a lot of people for some reason. Usually they surge and falter the one time and get it over with.

Typical canes fashion, seasons over so let’s play good and get us a lousy draft position.

At this point I don't even think all losses will net us more then 1 spot. (unless that spot wins the lottery (See last year) !!@#

Part of darlings issues seem to be having to handle the puck more. Does the caps style require less of that? If so could it be that is why he plays pretty well against them?

Yeah, losing six games in a row when you're on the playoff bubble to begin with is pretty demoralizing. I gave up after Edmonton, so naturally they've rattled off a 4-1-0 record since then, and will probably win the last four out of spite. Well, maybe not the Rangers.

I started to post last night but was so astounded I couldn't write anything and not much better this A.M. I have to wonder if someone 'sold his soul' for that '06 Cup win... with the proviso that there'd never be another and maybe not even a playoff slot. Who...? PK? JR? RB'A? He's the only one still around... besides Cam. Further that we'd be tantalized with what we're seeing now and have seen in so many season endings since. If there are hockey gods is there ( besides NJ) a hockey devil? Or is the devil in NJ?

Where was that Scott Darling all season?!

By my count, Darling rolled out his A Game approximately 5 times this season, counting last night. Two came after his ignominious demotion.

And yeah ... I called it. Meaningless game against an actual contender on the road late in March? Win. All day.

Back