• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

End of Season Topic 1: What Do You Actually Want for an "Game Day Experience?"

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
End of Season Topic 1: What Do You Actually Want for an "Game Day Experience?"

OK. I figure we've all bailed on this season in our own way so I'm looking to get some conversations going about something other than missing the playoffs, Peters, GM prospects, etc ...

First Up ... what are you actually expecting for an improved "in-game" experience?

I know our owner has put a lot of stock in increasing the value of the experience of attending a game at the PNC arena. So far we've heard chatter about a shiny new jumbo-sized HD video screen scoreboard that may or may not get the financial backing of the arena authority. We've also seen a few changes to the staff presenting the various in game promotions, entertainments and advertising. We also got to "enjoy" listening to our announcer act like he was on bloody amphetamines every time the Canes got a power play after the sale of the club ... for reasons that escape me.

Which begs the question ... what would YOU like to see changed? I've got a couple of thoughts:

Video Content ... I get that the radio station has a tie-in, but Adam bloody Gold blathering on for what seems like 5 minutes during the 2nd intermission literally makes my face hurt. Make that stop, please. You could replace that segment with virtually anything ... try puppy videos off of YouTube. Specifically Corgis, please. Also, either change Tripp out with Forslund or somebody else with some danged common sense or drop the player interviews between periods entirely. Those are an absolute cringe-fest. I'd also like to see a MUCH better pre-game video production. This year's efforts were weak, IMO. Oh, and see if you can find an audio engineer who actually knows what the EQ adjustments look like. That way maybe we could understand what anybody with even a sort of deep voice is saying.

Music ... the sound system finally works well, why not dial it in a bit like they do in some other markets? Pick a genre and feature it ... hopefully including some local flavor. As it is, we get such a wide range of music that it's tough to see what the point might be. Electronic dance junk to lite rap to R&B to Hip Hop to Arena Rock to ... help. Detroit leans hard on Motown and area rockers, New Jersey leans heavy on the Boss and Bon Jovi and the Shore rockers, LA on the local bubble gum pop stuff, Nashville on country (duh) ... just pick something and roll with it. Here's a thought - Mac MacCaughan from Merge Records is a season ticket "member." Maybe think about getting Merge to curate the arena music the way they do the music for the Durham Hotel's restaurant, lounge and bar space. You could do worse.

Promotions ... don't care. Just try not to hurt anyone.

Giveaways ... somebody could remember that the nets behind the goals mean that two large sections of the lower bowl never get any freebies that are tossed or dropped. But I honestly don't care one way or the other. I do miss the indoor blimp from back in the day though ... just sayin.

Mascots ... you know where this is heading. That lady hog is a travesty. Stormy is fine. Better than fine, in fact.

Anything else?

Last edited:
Re: End of Season Topic 1: What Do You Actually Want for an "in-game experience?"

I just noticed the other day there is no more Storm Squad. When did that happen? Bring them back.

My only request is cheaper food and drinks.

Re: End of Season Topic 1: What Do You Actually Want for an "in-game experience?"

I just noticed the other day there is no more Storm Squad. When did that happen? Bring them back.

Can't tell if you're joking.

We get the great "honor" of having one of the Storm Squad fake clap while smiling vacuously in the aisle next to our seats for about 5 minutes a game. They're definitely still there.

OK I must have missed them. They are not on the website now, at least not that I saw.

On a related note, Formula 1 got rid of their race girls and a lot of tech related conventions no longer have "booth babes" who are just eye candy.

.... tech related conventions no longer have "booth babes" who are just eye candy.

As someone that attends a lot of tech conferences, thank god for this. There was something very unsettling about watching the average "tech nerd" interact with a "booth babe". It was one of the most socially awkward experiments you could find as neither could relate to the other on any level. It was great entertainment to watch them each try as an observer! Even though that practice is technically banned, there are still companies that try different approaches around the rules to the booth babe concept. Will be interesting to see what vendors go that route at RSA in another week and a half.

Regarding the Canes in-game experience and production values I think they need to overhaul the whole thing. While it has gotten better in recent years the bar was pretty low. I hate being expected to have lower expectation because the team is in Raleigh or "the south". I hope Dundon brings in some people to up the in game experience next year.

For this year, I would be all for the Canes holding a raffle and the winner goes the the locker room after the last game and fire Peters. That sounds like a good time!

The graphics and animation have come a long ways in the last few years. For the longest time they were like playing Atari 2600 when you knew Playstation 4 and XBOX One werr available.

First and for most, I want to see entertaining Hockey! That's why I'm there. It's really, really important to me. If it meant sitting on a wooden box and listening to country music all night, so be it. I just want the team to win or at least play good hockey.

I agree that the music is all over the place. Since the crowds have been more interesting than the hockey lately, I've enjoyed watching people dance (or have a seizure, whateves). It's funny to me when they play some awful crap I've never heard of and everyone just sits on the hands while the jumbo shows a lot blank stares from the fans. Really, who picks out the music? I like JB's idea about local music. I like having local music perform during the intermission. It's way better than musical chairs.

I have to admit, I pretty much tune out the video content. Adam Gold knows less about hockey than me so I don't really care about his observations. If Trip is what it takes to keep John, I'm OK with him staying around. He isn't very good, but John is and I don't want to lose him. The attempts at comedy are what baffles me. I could get together with a couple of friends over some beers and we could do a much better job. Think of all the funny, innocuous things you could do with the players. Whoever edits those things is incompetent. The pacing is slow and the players need more to work with than, put your hand in a box and tell us what it is. (Spoiler alert: It's gross)

I liked the bobble heads. I don't really care for something that has some sponsors' name on it. I mean, thanks for the towel, but I'll pass.

The scoreboard works fine. Just put the power play countdown where I can quickly glance at it. I've trained myself to find it quickly, but I liked it better before they replaced it on the second level with yet another blinding razor advertising thingy ma bob.

I've gotten three T-shirts thrown at me over the years. They were all a size medium and not worth a nickle. I hate that some people don't mind stepping on me just to dive over people for this trash. It's just a damn worthless T-shirt. Quit trying to drop them on me. I totally missed the Mrs. Stormy thing. I think I saw it out of the corner of my eye while I watched TV during the intermission. That's what I do now, I ignore the jumbo and watch TV until the next period. Because the jumbo always has stupid, uninteresting things on it.

In conclusion:

Good Hockey improves the in-game experience more than anything else.
The music sucks, use local music or pick a theme and stick with it.
Hire a professional to handle the video content. No Adam, no Trip
NO attempts at humor until you hire someone funny.
I really do like the bobble head dolls.
Don't need a new scoreboard just yet.
Did I mention improve the team?

Last edited:

They can keep the t shirts with huge sponsor logos on them. Im not diving all over people for a red Linda Craft shirt with a tiny Hurricanes logo.

And stop rigging the choices in who participates in on ice games. It's not random. Never was.

I don't want junk handed to me as I enter the arena. Save it for when I leave. Give me a voucher if you have to. But I don't want to carry around a poster all night.

I don't want junk handed to me as I enter the arena. Save it for when I leave. Give me a voucher if you have to. But I don't want to carry around a poster all night.

This is a conundrum. The few times they've tried to hand out vouchers or giveaway items at the end of the game, the resulting backup on the way out the door is a complete cluster ... and has caused some aggro.

If they ever get me back in the arena again, here's what I would want:

1. Organ tunes only during non-TV timeout stoppages in play. I might just want to talk to my seat mate about what just happened, but the blasting music on the PA makes this impossible.

2. Show replays of the freakin' penalties, for cryin' out loud. Most of the time they either happen too quickly or are behind the play to see them when they happen. Same goes for video reviews. Show them to us while the refs are reviewing. We can make up our own minds if they get the call correct.

3. Bring food and beverage prices down to a reasonable level and I might be tempted. Otherwise I'll pass.

4. $20 for parking, come on. $10 at most.

5. All the rest of the stuff can be turned off or not done AFAIAC.

6. And in the less is more department, bring back Mark Roberts as the PA guy. He did a great job in Dorton for the Icecaps. He kept it simple, understated and tasteful. I also like the music he played ... Dance ... :)

Here is what I care about--Good Hockey. As long as you check that box nothing else really matters. Well I guess I don't want a lot of loud mouth drunks sitting around me or picking fights in the bathroom. The only other things that matter are easy access into and out of the parking lot, and reasonably fast entry into the arena (Sorry, JB, if that was intended as a separate topic).

I don't want to have to stop and pay for parking. Dumbest idea ever when it comes to causing traffic backups at events.

What I care about:
- Good friggin hockey
- Stormy: still does a good job IMHO and his beating on the glass behind the goalie in the second period is funny as crap
- Decent music. Has seemed a little bit all over the map although personally I've enjoyed a little of the throwback stuff (Ted Nugent for example). Show some creativity. Like someone suggested, have theme nights or play music that the players pick. This aint rocket science
- I LOVE bobbleheads and the figurines. Still proudly display Scott walker and ray Whitney above my desk!
- agree with JB, loved the blimp
- Reintroduce some of the classic video bits like Rick Flair's Wooooo and him dancing around in his gown after a goal. And whatever happened to the heinous looking Leprechaun video snippet that used to pop up for a power play. The black cat in front of the opposing goalies picture still cracks me up. OR maybe I'm just getting old and all of the above are a sad sign of that :(
- Identify a few regulars and "focus" on them during games. To this day, I remember the crowd getting jazzed when the lovely person known as "Dancing Granny" (Rest in Peace) would hit the video board.

Adios:
- as previously mentioned. do away with useless crap giveaways at the doors. And nothing worse than a pileup at the door when you're trying to get the hell out of there, only to be blocked by folks thinking that a goodie box is full of something valuable only to be graced with a pack of "Fisherman's friends" nasty cough drops.
- Caroline the pig: Very clearly the cause of the late season swoon.

Meh List:
- to be honest I don't pay much attention to the stuff between periods; low brow stuff like musical chairs, youth hockey and human bowling is fine. I think you're splitting hairs if you're evaluating this too much IMHO. Anything with a "race" between contestants is amusing. Ice Sumo wrestlers, anyone? Show fun stuff on the videos during this time as well. People still love Peanuts clips, etc
- Agree that the between periods interviews and Gold's "third period nuggets" can go away

If they ever get me back in the arena again, here's what I would want:
3. Bring food and beverage prices down to a reasonable level and I might be tempted. Otherwise I'll pass.

4. $20 for parking, come on. $10 at most.

Oh yeah this too, but I don't think it'll happen. Two GREAT points JFG! It sucks to have to pay especially when the parking lot attendants are not very helpful. They almost always seem to make things worse.

Dear Carolina Hurricanes,
Do you want me to go to games? Then give me a place to park for free. The club level food is actually good, if you don't have food allergies.

It's like they want to give you one more reason not to show up. I buy parking passes and they managed to even screw that up this year. Anybody know what Uber costs? I'm thinking about Ubering and then taking the Canaic Coach home. I rode the CC one year. It's not bad. I met many fans of opposing teams and enjoyed talking with them. Plenty of stupid drunks on weekends if that amuses you.

Anybody know what Uber costs? I'm thinking about Ubering and then taking the Canaic Coach home. I rode the CC one year. It's not bad. I met many fans of opposing teams and enjoyed talking with them. Plenty of stupid drunks on weekends if that amuses you.

Uber has a handy cost estimator function. Costs vary by length of trip and other factors. The Canes have a designated ride share drop-off and pick-up area ... near the Carter Finley scoreboard IIRC.

https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

Here is what I care about--Good Hockey. As long as you check that box nothing else really matters. Well I guess I don't want a lot of loud mouth drunks sitting around me or picking fights in the bathroom. The only other things that matter are easy access into and out of the parking lot, and reasonably fast entry into the arena (Sorry, JB, if that was intended as a separate topic).

I edited the title to include the whole game day experience. May as well talk parking as well.

Re: End of Season Topic 1: What Do You Actually Want for an "Game Day Experience?"

The sound system can be turned way down - I hate the blaring music trying to get the fans into the game. Get the players into the game and then turn off the music and let the fans do what they want - they'll be plenty loud.

Re: End of Season Topic 1: What Do You Actually Want for an "Game Day Experience?"

On the subject of parking, be aware that my experience is exclusively tied to Premiere parking as I've honestly never done it any other way other than for the odd individual game. When it comes to Premiere however, please for the love of paying customers stop with the bar code check. It's dumb, time consuming, pointless and you never bother to train staff in how to both do that and manage traffic flow. Stop it.

Anyone who expects free parking is dreaming.

have not been an STM for a while, but my perspective would be the two most important things are:

1.Better on-ice product.
2. Make things easier. Most of the things that folks are citing are all about adding complication--and somewhat implyin a level of distrust to everything. Show some trust and make it easy.

Beyond that, maybe spend a little bit of time in providing info on the team we are playing--particularly other than the ones where all their fans are present. More promotion and information on Western conference teams might make those games more appealing and help the crowd find things to watch for.

Back