• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Misc 2018 Playoff News Thread

Back to, you know ... hockey.

Thoughts on Game 5 and the Series ...

I knew Vegas would push back hard on Washington's increasing control of the pace of the series. After all, they got great push in the early stages of every game, even those that the Caps ultimately wrestled back. So I wasn't surprised at the furious pace of the first period ... only that nobody managed to score. What did kind of surprise me was that after Washington got the opening goal, the whole affair sort of reverted back to the utter chaos of Game 1. Both teams swinging from their heels with very little concern for things like positional discipline. When that took hold, you HAD to figure that Vegas was going to win the game. That's exactly what they want and exactly what they've done to everybody else this post season ... reduce the game to a never ending series of rushes and scrums, be the aggressor instead of the reactor, and clean up the loose change.

Nope. The Caps fought their way through the briars and came out the the big shiny reward. Good on 'em too. That team is built to hurt you on the power play and to otherwise ground out possession, but ... forced to change things up and play a rough and tumble game, they figured out a way. Given that, it was fitting that Eller got the deciding goal on a wild scramble when he was the only guy to see the puck behind Flower and react. That's the kind of goal Vegas thrives on, turned against them. Moral of the series ... you need at least two gears. For me, Washington won because they could win games playing their way and could survive in games playing Vegas' way. Vegas couldn't score enough to win when the Caps dictated tempo and flow, but when it mattered they couldn't win the most crucial game even when they got their preferred style.

Resilience and fortitude. Congrats to the Champs.

Back to, you know ... hockey.

Thoughts on Game 5 and the Series ...

I knew Vegas would push back hard on Washington's increasing control of the pace of the series. After all, they got great push in the early stages of every game, even those that the Caps ultimately wrestled back. So I wasn't surprised at the furious pace of the first period ... only that nobody managed to score. What did kind of surprise me was that after Washington got the opening goal, the whole affair sort of reverted back to the utter chaos of Game 1. Both teams swinging from their heels with very little concern for things like positional discipline. When that took hold, you HAD to figure that Vegas was going to win the game. That's exactly what they want and exactly what they've done to everybody else this post season ... reduce the game to a never ending series of rushes and scrums, be the aggressor instead of the reactor, and clean up the loose change.

Nope. The Caps fought their way through the briars and came out the the big shiny reward. Good on 'em too. That team is built to hurt you on the power play and to otherwise ground out possession, but ... forced to change things up and play a rough and tumble game, they figured out a way. Given that, it was fitting that Eller got the deciding goal on a wild scramble when he was the only guy to see the puck behind Flower and react. That's the kind of goal Vegas thrives on, turned against them. Moral of the series ... you need at least two gears. For me, Washington won because they could win games playing their way and could survive in games playing Vegas' way. Vegas couldn't score enough to win when the Caps dictated tempo and flow, but when it mattered they couldn't win the most crucial game even when they got their preferred style.

Resilience and fortitude. Congrats to the Champs.

Outside of that douche bag Tom Wilson, happy to see Ovi and the Caps finally win the big one, but Wilson is the biggest douche in hockey.

Vegas had a helluva run, what a season for them.

No hockey for awhile is never fun in this household.

For the past several years, someone always picks Washington to come out of the Metro strong, and compete for the cup. I always disagreed. They proved me wrong this year. I'm by no means a Caps fan. But just glad we aren't talking about the Pens, Bruins, etc.

For the past several years, someone always picks Washington to come out of the Metro strong, and compete for the cup. I always disagreed. They proved me wrong this year. I'm by no means a Caps fan. But just glad we aren't talking about the Pens, Bruins, etc.

Yeah. I doubt they converted any Canes fans or anything. Too many memories of Simon's Soldiers and the busloads of jerks they ship down here for weekend games.

Still, well played and well won. And as you say ... not the Pens or Bruins. So there's that.

I am happy for Trotz though. Like him or not, he took a team that has been close, and pushed them over the hump.

Has to be rewarding after seeing Nashville do so well in the post Trotz era.

But I'm fully onboard with the "let the summer silly season" begin.

Great timing on Trotz's part. Isn't he a free agent coach in a couple weeks. Great way to have some leverage with management.....win the Cup!

I was glad to see Ovechkin get over the hump and win a Cup. T.J. Oshie as well. Nice team effort. Beating the Pens was a huge step for the Caps. I thought Devonte Smith Pelly scored key goals at critical times and really kept their heads above water when things weren't going Washington's way.

As usual, the officiating was pitifully bad. At least they were consistent about sucking. Congratulations to the Champions! F the Bruins.

Jim

Five really entertaining games in a row. I can't ask for more than that.

Agreed. And good that, in a copy-cat world, both teams got there by heart as much as coaching technique. And that the battle was seemingly won by that very element, as well.

The want was there. And that, is Sport.

Should reinforce in the owner's eyes the choice of a heart-and-soul coach who has seen a lot of coaching styles through his playing years (6 as a Flyer) and a variety since as an assistant.

Brindy's been preaching let 'em play is seems. Teach 'em...adapt deployment/strategy as necessary...but let 'em play.

Seemed to work for the Capitals. Congrats...and now take a season off maybe? :sarcasm

Agreed. And good that, in a copy-cat world, both teams got there by heart as much as coaching technique. And that the battle was seemingly won by that very element, as well.

The want was there. And that, is Sport.

Should reinforce in the owner's eyes the choice of a heart-and-soul coach who has seen a lot of coaching styles through his playing years (6 as a Flyer) and a variety since as an assistant.

Brindy's been preaching let 'em play is seems. Teach 'em...adapt deployment/strategy as necessary...but let 'em play.

Seemed to work for the Capitals. Congrats...and now take a season off maybe? :sarcasm

Yeah ... it's a copy cat league for sure, and if the takeway is aggression and freedom on the ice, then I'd be thrilled. But remember, like Hollywood movie executives, the NHL copy cats don't always copy the right thing.

Back