• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Misc 2018 Playoff News Thread

Parallax Hockey
[video=youtube;QSG8mzwwOs8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSG8mzwwOs8[/video]

So still not conclusive. (I did feel it was in but it was called no goal on the ice so I can't see anything but sustaining that call.)

That's a problem with the rule, IMO. It's black or white. Was he interfered with in attempting to play the puck? No. An unprovoked slash is just another missed call and not correctable by replay.

It's not black and white in regards to how long after the interference you have to get reset. I've seen goalies have a lot more time to recover than Murray did. Refs are human and I would be surprised if they didn't give more leeway when the contact is incidental.

Like I said though, I get this call... but I think it was close enough that some refs would have call it no goal.

Certainly appears to be a goal. The only possible explanations I could come up with are:

1) The replay booth did not locate that particular picture in time to make the ruling--similar to the Craig Adams goal in Game 7. This seems unlikely since they had it on the NBC broadcast.
2) There IS a lot of snow in front of the puck. Perhaps they could not definitely tell where the white snow stopped and the white paint on the ice begins.

Again, I think it is a goal. Just trying to contemplate why the ruling was not overturned.

I hear ya... and those are certainly valid factors. And maybe the NHL is just not allowed to use logic and needs 100% proof. Though we've all seen them make calls when it wasn't 100% certain.

The unfortunate part on this goal is that when you watch the replay, this above picture isn't even from the furthest point the puck traveled. It was definitely even further into the net but at that point sticks were in the way. The picture is just the first moment we have a clear view of the puck.

Oh well... I strongly believe they got this one wrong, but it wasn't the first time and won't be the last.

It's not black and white in regards to how long after the interference you have to get reset. I've seen goalies have a lot more time to recover than Murray did. Refs are human and I would be surprised if they didn't give more leeway when the contact is incidental.

Like I said though, I get this call... but I think it was close enough that some refs would have call it no goal.

Way too much grey on this entire goaltending interference stuff for anyone's liking, the Vegas OT goal the other night was sketchy too...no crease violation by Marchessault, Jones butt end of his stick got caught up as Marchessault and the defender skated by, so Jones I guess did not have time to reset was the way they looked at it, but again, what is stopping these goaltenders from exploiting that reset time? You may as well adopt the IIHF rule 184i, which states: “If an attacking skater establishes position in the goal crease, play will be stopped and the ensuing face off will take place at the nearest face off spot in the neutral zone.”

The onus is always on the offensive player to get out of the crease and if he doesn’t make an effort immediately, the play is whistled dead.

Second, referees are extra-diligent in calling any number of infractions – high-sticking, cross-checking, tripping, interference, holding – on a defensive player who moves an attacking player into the crease. If there is no infraction, but the offensive player is moved into the crease by a defender, play is allowed to continue and any goal scored would count providing that the offensive player is in the process of getting out of the crease when the goal is scored (IIHF Rule 95 or 185).

The offensive player must immediately make that effort to vacate the crease, or play is whistled dead. With the best officials in the world, you would think they could make that distinction quickly and accurately.

I thought it would be a game (or 2 for Wilson) and I am pulling for the caps mostly do to a coworker being a "VERY" bad pens fan. Course he's also a Patriots fan...

If there is no infraction, but the offensive player is moved into the crease by a defender, play is allowed to continue and any goal scored would count providing that the offensive player is in the process of getting out of the crease when the goal is scored (IIHF Rule 95 or 185).

As long as the defender(s) releases the offensive player and allows him to exit the crease. If not, good goal.

*cough* Tom Wilson *cough*

Exactly. Wilson should be suspended given his history. With all the other questionable calls in that game the biggest long term impact will be the health of Dumoulin. While he is not a superstar, he is Pittsburgh't most valuable defenseman and eats up a ton of minutes. If Letang or Schultz goes down, the other can pick up the slack. There is no one on the Pens roster that can fill in for Dumoulin in a big minute defensive role. His health likely determines the outcome of this series.

don't have a dog in this fight but anyone that thinks that Wilson wasn't trying to ring his bell, I've got some swamp land in Idaho for sale. Puleeze.
Exactly. Wilson should be suspended given his history. With all the other questionable calls in that game the biggest long term impact will be the health of Dumoulin. While he is not a superstar, he is Pittsburgh't most valuable defenseman and eats up a ton of minutes. If Letang or Schultz goes down, the other can pick up the slack. There is no one on the Pens roster that can fill in for Dumoulin in a big minute defensive role. His health likely determines the outcome of this series.

Tom Wilson has a hearing today with the Department of Player Safety for what they call an illegal check to the head of Zach Aston-Reese, which concussed him and broke his jaw. They call it illegal, none of the on-ice officials deemed it as such.

Paul Devorski, the NHL on-site supervisor of officials, said the game officials consulted with each other about the hit and decided not to penalize Wilson.

"Obviously, both referees didn't put their arm up, so obviously they didn't think there was a penalty," Devorski said. "So now they bring in the linesmen, who if they think it's a major penalty, they'll tell the referees. So they all got together, and they said, 'You know what? We've got a good, clean check here.'"

Tom Wilson has a hearing today with the Department of Player Safety for what they call an illegal check to the head of Zach Aston-Reese, which concussed him and broke his jaw. They call it illegal, none of the on-ice officials deemed it as such.

I hadn't the slightest interest in seeing the Pens advance again and see the Caps fall flat again. I was actually pulling for the Caps ... and then Tom Wilson showed up.

I hadn't the slightest interest in seeing the Pens advance again and see the Caps fall flat again. I was actually pulling for the Caps ... and then Tom Wilson showed up.

Tom Wilson is POS...period. To laugh at a guy that you just broke his jaw and concussed shows the absolute disregard for anyone out there on the ice. To have four zebras convene on that hit and determine not a single penalty was needed just shows how bad the officiating has become. So the NHL will take a look at the hit yet again and determine 1 game? Repeat offender, targeted hits to the head again and again...yet just a hockey play...

Forgot to update ... I was out having fun last night, which obviously doesn't involve hockey at this point.

Caps 4, Pens 3 ... Washington takes the 2-1 series lead on Ovechkin's late game winner. Wilson is a dooosh, but I'm never going to be better than neutral on this series. I loathe both teams.

Jets 7, Preds 4 ... Winnipeg roared back from a 3-0 hole in this one to take a 2-1 series lead, and frankly they're starting to look much the better team. I'm good with that. I've always liked watching Mo's teams if and when they feature some attempt at scoring. This team decidedly does that. They're scoring in bunches and still haven't really gotten Laine untracked, which means they've got yet another gear on offer. Look out.

Can't wait to see what the clowns in NHL Player safety do on the Wilson hit. Pretty hard evidence considering two things:

1) It is pretty hard to break someone's jaw. Doesn't happen very often in boxing or MMA where the head IS the primary point of contact. If the head was NOT the primary point of contact I would love to have the broken jaw explained to me in a somewhat believable fashion.

2) Wilson clearly jumps off his feet and launches himself up BEFORE any contact as you can see on video. One skate is off the ice and the other skate is on its toe before the hit. Also, consider the fact he basically landed on the Capitals bench after the collision. He launched himself up.

I will ignore his career history of dirty hits, the fact he laughed directly after injuring a player, and the fact he launched himself into Dumoulin's head the previous game. I can't wait to hear the NHL response on this one. You can't make this stuff up.

Regarding the game, throw out all of the bad calls (both ways) in this series as that is par for the course in the NHL. Sometimes your team gets the breaks, sometimes it goes the other way. That is the state of NHL officiating (incompetent). The Pens aren't going to win this series, or any other, unless Matt Murray starts to resemble anything close to his previous two playoff appearences. His glove hand is looking like Cam Ward and he has let in way too many bad goals in this series. Washington may finally break through in the playoffs unless Murray finds his game (which hasn't been there all year).

Can't wait to see what the clowns in NHL Player safety do on the Wilson hit. Pretty hard evidence considering two things:

1) It is pretty hard to break someone's jaw. Doesn't happen very often in boxing or MMA where the head IS the primary point of contact. If the head was NOT the primary point of contact I would love to have the broken jaw explained to me in a somewhat believable fashion.

2) Wilson clearly jumps off his feet and launches himself up BEFORE any contact as you can see on video. One skate is off the ice and the other skate is on its toe before the hit. Also, consider the fact he basically landed on the Capitals bench after the collision. He launched himself up.

I don't know that you can say that the head was the "principal" point of contact. But it seems pretty clear that Wilson made an effort to drive upward into the head. That's right out of the Scott Stevens playbook and is exactly what that rule was designed to put a stop to. I'd give him at least 4 games, so that he no longer can have an impact (see that!) on this series.

Add in the fact that Aston-Reese saw him coming and pulled his head up and back to avoid the blow and still took it to the chin. Wilson is a POS. If they allow that kind of stuff to happen with all that they know now about head injuries, they ought to fold up the league. Kick him out for the balance of the playoffs and let him know one more time and he's done for his career AND the team is on the hook for his entire salary cap hit.

Back