• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 4/7 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A season that started with promise has ended like the previous 8. A new owner is on the scene, but so far, it’s the same as it ever was. This will be a consequential offseason for the Canes, possibly the most important since they moved here.

The Lightning are still fighting for the top seed in the East, 2 points ahead of the Bruins, who have 1 game in hand. For the Canes, Nicolas Roy should make his NHL debut tonight.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

This will be a mercy killing for a team that has been chronically ill and a season that has been all too familiar. The fact that it's a crappy day for tailgating just pours more salt in the wound for Canes fans, who have become numb to the annual disappointment of missing the playoffs yet again.

McGinn is out, Aho slides back to wing, Roy will center the 4th line, per Michael Smith.

Di Giuseppe-Staal-Williams
Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen
Skinner-Ryan-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Roy-Zykov

Slavin-Dahlbeck
Hanifin-van Riemsdyk
Fleury-McKeown

Ward in goal

This is the game we've all be waiting for guys!!! The last one!!!

I'd be more interested to see Skinner/Roy/Zykov ... but you know that thought has never entered Peters' head for a second. I'm thinking a net front presence on his line might render Skinner instantly effective ... as opposed to all the nearly empty danger he's generated all season. That said, since Hammerhead Peters is going to go with version 82 of the same old, same old approach, I'm going to pass on this altogether. I'll be watching Colorado and St Louis play for all the playoff marbles instead.

Ah yes, the annual tradition of the entire brood attending the last game. Or as I like to call it, the “spend out the remaining cash on the concessions card”. Prime rib sandwiches, upgraded beer purchases and bags of cotton candy for the ride home, are the plan for the day.

Ah yes, the annual tradition of the entire brood attending the last game. Or as I like to call it, the “spend out the remaining cash on the concessions card”. Prime rib sandwiches, upgraded beer purchases and bags of cotton candy for the ride home, are the plan for the day.

We used to do that ... as it is my daughter decided just last night to go ahead and take a friend juts to not let the tickets go unused. We used to make a big deal out of the opener and the closer. Now ... they've sucked all the joy out of it.

Final home game and Peters is still wedded to his 4th line crap. What in the world do you have to lose? Pair Roy with Skinner and see what happens. I'm afraid if I blink, I'll miss seeing his 4 minutes of play on the 4th line.

The answer then is don't blink... (It may be only half that if BP has anything to say about it.)

hopefully his job

I’d love to say get the popcorn and grab a seat for the real show the day after the season ends to see all the fireworks and changes that this team needs to make, but who am I kidding. This org will likely sit on its hands, retain Peters, hire some nobody within the org as GM and then do next to nothing all summer long.

Well, i filled my santa claus bag full of junk food to burn out my concessions card and the canes pull off a "too little too late" victory. Ground hog day! A little puck luck for the canes tonight on their goals but none the less, an unexpected victory. Defense is going to need a long look this off season. I'm still not 100% sold on Fleury yet. Granted he's young but boy it still seems like the game is way too fast for him some times. Maybe he'll progress in the off season.

Dundon is a fan! Wearing his Canes jersey tonight, complete with #1...I hope this is an indication he's got the jones and will spend money and bring in a good GM and talent this off season.

...and so yet another season ends with the Canes firmly entrenched in 10th place in the Eastern Conference.

At least tonight's game was worth watching. The fans were loud and supportive - something this team has done little to deserve.

We'll have plenty of time to talk about who goes & who stays over the next few months, but I agree with what's been said - I don't think Fleury has what it takes. I can't say that I've seen much progress from him at all this season.

Back