Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for the Stanley ****ing Cup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quest for the Stanley ****ing Cup

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    I can kinda get what he’s trying to do.

But I think he’s trying too hard to be the smartest guy in the room. He’s envisioning that if it works out, people will call him a genius, but the simpler solution probably will be the best solution.
    I get it too.

Babs loves the match up game. He figures his biggest advantage is having the last change, and it's his opportunity to put his mark on the series.

He wants to get Matthews away from Bergeron, and he doesn't trust any of the other Centers to match up against that line. So he's gambling the old Wiley vet Pleks who has some experience in that role has something left in the tank.

If that Pleks line does a decent job against Bergeron, and the Matthews line explodes with the weaker matchup, he looks like a genius. Quite a gamble. We'll see if he's worth being the highest paid coach in the league tonight. Maybe Plekanec digs deep and finds some legs. I have my doubts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artnes View Post
    I tried to show some faith in this team but this is killing it

I'd bring up Aalotnen at this point. He's a better option than those two
    I don't think I'd go with Aaltonen---he hasn't really given any indication this year that he's an NHL-caliber player.

I still think moving Willy to the middle, and putting Leivo in on the wing is the best, no-brainer of a decision. Or if Babcock's hatred of Leivo really is to the point where he'll refuse to dress him under any circumstance, then put Grundstrom into the lineup. He was great in the SHL this year, and immediately picked up a goal & three points in two games upon coming back to the Marlies.

As for the 4th line---my inclination would honestly be to put Moore in and stick Plekanec in the press box. Moore wasn't bad in a 4th line role this year...and it's hard to see how he could be worse against the Bruins than Plekanec's been. Judging by how he's played in this series, Plekanec is either completely finished as an NHL hockey player, or he's just completely disinterested in continuing to play hockey for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and wants nothing more than to go home to his wife & kids in Montreal ASAP. Or maybe it's both.

Either way, the answer sure as **** isn't to play him for 18 or 19 minutes tonight as our match-up/shut-down center on the 2nd line, in a must-win game.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leafman101 View Post
    They kinda have to put the Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line back together. That has been our best line all year, and the only one that has operated at an "NHL best" level. At least with Kadri out.

That is probably our best shot to keep the puck away from the Bergeron line and win that matchup. The second line is obviously better with Nylander in the middle than Plekanec, but the first line is a lot worse. And at the end of the day they need an elite line to pay against Bergeron. That line has been rag dolling is. Our only chance is for our best players to go head to head with them and win. Or at the very least draw.
    You think he matches Matthews with Bergeron? I think if that was the plan he probably just moves Marleau to the middle instead of moving Plekanec up. Maybe you're right though.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WellPlayed View Post
    You think he matches Matthews with Bergeron? I think if that was the plan he probably just moves Marleau to the middle instead of moving Plekanec up. Maybe you're right though.
    I think any other plan has already proven to be futile. Kadri really ****ed us here. We only have one option to outplay that line and it doesn't involve any lines centered by Plekanen, Nylander, Marleau, Bozak or Moore. That line is too good. Have to go with your best.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily.

Split up your best and spread it around. Try and let the other lines do some damage. Keep Matthews matched up against Bergeron, but have Hyman and Kappy on his wings. Keep the Nylander and Marner experiment going plus Johnsson. Bring in Moore, sit Pleks, and play Martin.

Let Rielly and Zaitsev get some PK time and drastically reduce Hainsey.

But he wants Pleks to somehow shut down that top line and for Matty and Willy to go to town. It may well work with the last change, but only if Pleks stops playing like a fifth liner.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

And yeah, Kadri losing his mind really put us in a hole here.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtleneck is awful.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bergeron line is literally the best line in the NHL. They have scored a stupid amount of goals in the first two games. You can't just match Plekanec against them to get shelled and give Matthews a favourable matchup. We already know that won't work. Plekanec can't slow them down.

Best on best and hope our best wins. Thats our only shot really.

If anyone can outplay that line its our superstar talent the team is built around. We need Matthews to come up huge to get back in this series.

Its a different story if we still had Kadri because he can play against anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the logic and that you think it's what we should do. I would tend to agree. But do you think it's what Babs is going to do?

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

I literally think 90% of this board is smarter than Babcock. Its bizarre how stupid he is. Who overplays Andersen and Hainsey on this board with no purpose? No possibity of going higher or lower in the standings?

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea. Babs didn't have control of the matchups in Boston and just kind of rotated all 4 lines. We will see what he does now that he can.

All season he gave those matchups to either Kadri or Matthews.
    Last edited by leafman101; 04-16-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite all this we're going into Saturday 2-2

Post Thanks / Like

The Bergeron line is literally the best line in the NHL. They have scored a stupid amount of goals in the first two games. You can't just match Plekanec against them to get shelled and give Matthews a favourable matchup. We already know that won't work. Plekanec can't slow them down.

If anyone can outplay that line its our superstar talent the team is built around. We need Matthews to come up huge to get back in this series.

Old pleks could. Not sure the current version can.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I'd keep Matthews matched up against Bergeron, but I'd move Nylander to the Marner line (while Kadri is out) so that they can get some looks against the other lines and maybe do some dominating of their own. I thought they looked really good together after the juggling last week. And honestly, Kappy shouldn't be too much of a drop off than Willy on the Matthews line. He's been good, and maybe now he can take another step forward by filling in on the first line.

Pleks is garbage. To pin our hopes on him becoming a second liner again, even for just a couple of games, is ill-advised.

By the way, as much as Kadri ****ed us, the NHL did too. Three ****ing games is a big hit. At least if it was just two and he was back for game 4, it'd be easier to manage the loss. Such a joke that they gave him three.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer93 View Post
    Leafs lines at skate

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
    Marleau-Plekanec-Marner
    JvR-Bozak-Brown
    Johnsson-Moore-Kapanen

Yep were ****ed
    Pleks has been our WORST forward since he came to Toronto, by a landslide. The fact he even gets the start over Moore is highly questionable to begin with, and now, just when we thought Babs can't one-up on his bonehead move to bump Komarov to the 1st line, he does it by bumping Pleks to 2nd line duty.

If you HAVE TO keep the Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line intact (and there may be good reason to at home) then bump Bozak up to center the 2nd line. Of all the F's thus far in game 1 + 2, Bozak is one of the least terrible (together with Hyman, Johnsson and Kapanen)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quest for the Stanley ****ing Cup

His numbers haven't been that bad away from Leoman

Post Thanks / Like

True.

3 most frequent Pleks Lines:

Johnsson-Pleks-Kapanen: 36.7min, 53.4cf% (+1.9), 54.3xgf% (+1.8)
    Hyman-Pleks-Nylander: 17.9min, 55.0cf% (+3.1), 50.0xgf% (-2.6)

Komarov-Pleks-Kapanen: 22.7min, 45.5cf% (-5.6), 35.4xgf% (-14.6)

though of course, much of that is probably due to leaning on the line heavier when Leo is on it.

Actually check that - he was likely leaned on most heavily when he was with Hyman and Willy, so scratch that argument.
    #FreeVladdy

Post Thanks / Like

Pleks has been vanilla from my pov. Not great, not bad. Worst forward? I think you misspelled Leo, 17. The guy has been an abomination all season long. Addition by subtraction on that front.

But with that little boost to the team for tonight, the cock puts Pleks at the 2nd line centre spot.
    #freesheldon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeLeafer View Post
    But with that little boost to the team for tonight, the cock puts Pleks at the 2nd line centre spot.
    #Auston316

2nd Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering ..... do the leafs dump kadri this off season if they go out in 4 or 5

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast