• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Anybody Doing Anything Fun this Summer?

Hurricanes angst is too angsty... let’s talk vacations

Anybody got any summer plans? I’ll be making my once every two years trip to Uganda this summer to support two separate orphanages and relief programs.

Where are you guys headed?

My wife and are expecting baby #2 to the family in August...after that, I guess I have a big trip planned to my Urologist for the Snip and Go...does that count as a vacation???

The DC ballpark is nice , about the same as other new style parks. There is a lot of building in that area of DC, 3 big office buildings going up right near the stadium. Pretty sure that area was rundown for a while before the stadium was built. We stayed a block from the stadium and it's only a few stops on the green line to the museums and other things to see. Giants won so it was a good trip. We got lucky and there was no line at the archives to see Declaration of Independence and other stuff. Also saw art and the new air and space museum.

The DC ballpark is nice , about the same as other new style parks. There is a lot of building in that area of DC, 3 big office buildings going up right near the stadium. Pretty sure that area was rundown for a while before the stadium was built. We stayed a block from the stadium and it's only a few stops on the green line to the museums and other things to see. Giants won so it was a good trip. We got lucky and there was no line at the archives to see Declaration of Independence and other stuff. Also saw art and the new air and space museum.

But......did you see Ovi bathing in a fountain or drinking beer out of the Cup at 6am????

we planned to go to Sat. game but found out it was at noon, so we went Friday night instead. Not many June games are at noon but it was Girl Scout day.

the press box seemed small , it's named for Shirley Povich, the father of Maury Povich. Shirley covered sports for Wash. Post for 50 years. Not many men named Shirley but he's one of them.

BTW Trump says "maybe" as far as the Caps driving down the street to visit the White House.

To update my plans, we unfortunately had to scrap Budapest from our list of cities for our upcoming Europen trip. Getting from Ljubljana to Budapest was too much of a logistical nightmare.

That said, I'll still get two nights in Ljubljana, three nights in Vienna and four nights in Prague, so I have no complaints. Side day trips to Bled, Slovenia and Cesky Krumlov in Czech Republic are also on the itinerary.

I am heading to my family's 150+ year old cottage on the Quebec/Ontario line in the Outaouis Valley for two weeks. No internet, cell or TV access. It's radio/iPods, reading, floating, swimming, hiking, drinking and eating. The one place I can completely decompress! Heading out with the dogs in early August and I'll be gone for two weeks.

I am heading to my family's 150+ year old cottage on the Quebec/Ontario line in the Outaouis Valley for two weeks. No internet, cell or TV access. It's radio/iPods, reading, floating, swimming, hiking, drinking and eating. The one place I can completely decompress! Heading out with the dogs in early August and I'll be gone for two weeks.

Sounds like heaven. My family have a place outside of Boone, NC sort of like that, and we've been working on renovations for the last 9 months so I haven't been able to get up there. I love a nice little chunk isolation. Enjoy!

My wife and are expecting baby #2 to the family in August...after that, I guess I have a big trip planned to my Urologist for the Snip and Go...does that count as a vacation???

Congratulations on the addition! Papa's got a brand new bag, Huh?

I'll also be spending some of this summer at the Urologist, though I'll be delivering some bouncing baby kidney stones in a few weeks.

Mostly I'll be sweating my @$$ off to make money for a Fall dive trip to Grenada and a Winter dive trip to Ambon, Indonesia.

As much free time as possible will be spent fishing from my kayak and going to cheer on my wife as she events her horse in NC, SC, VA, Ga, Md, & Pa..

Jim

You two should play Neil Young's 'County Home' there over and over after you get out of your mansions on the hill.

Guess what I'm listening to now.

Sounds perfect.

Since I am a big proponent of traveling, I thought I might revive this thread.

Quick list of the places I've been in the last 5ish years: New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Iceland, England, France, Germany, Netherlands, The Vatican, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Spain, Switzerland, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Belgium, Luxembourg, Romania, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Slovenia, Croatia, Japan, Africa (three week safari - South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe), Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Philippines, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Ireland and in the summer of 2017, I drove from Nova Scotia to Alaska (with stops in Yellowknife and Whitehorse, among others) then south to Washington State and back to Nova Scotia (stops at Mt. St. Helen's, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, etc.).

In two months, I'll be going to South America (Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina and Brazil).

Anyone else have any vacation plans on the horizon?

I'm going back to Alaska in May and will be heading back to Africa this summer ... dates to be determined. And I'll be in Florida to visit Mickey for work at least three more times before the end of the year.

Headed to DisneyWorld for my first trip to see Mickey in about 5 years. Anything else will depend on my employment situation but we’re hoping for a week at the beach in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cousin and I are leading a genealogy and family history 'tour' to England (Buckinghamshire & Bedfordshire) in May. There are 30 or so H-cousins going.

I'm also going to Wales to meet and visit with a very distant cousin, in his late 80's and in poor health. He and I have never met face-to-face but have corresponded for years.

AND, I'm also going to Lancashire to visit some new cousins - a first cousin and her family - discovered thru DNA last year. The result of an ill-fated teen romance in WWII. My Mother's brother, a Marine in the guard unit at the US Navy base in Londonderry, N. Ireland was severely wounded in a shooting accident had to be returned to the US by convoy where he recovered. He was so sedated that they were unable to even communicate and the planned marriage couldn't happen and she wasn't able to tell him that she was pregnant. And with the war still on, he could not get back to Ireland; he never knew. His daughter, my 1C, has become quite close to her British (half-) sister and niece and has visited with them.

My wife and I just got back from a week in the Cayman Islands (this is become an annual trip for us each February) and my wife will be meeting me in LA at the end of a business trip there at the end of the month. I'll also be headed to Jazzfest in New Orleans in May.

This summer will helpfully include a bike tour through Belgium and the Netherlands this summer; we're still working out some details about when and if we can do this.

Back