• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bruins Series Thread (no not a gameday thread), featuring too many stats

If we filled in the entire group internally (with a few educated guesses on some RFA contracts) and let all of our veteran UFA's walk.

Hyman (2.5) - Matthews (3.775) - Kapanen (.863)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Marner (1.74)
Johnsson (1.2) - Nylander (6.5) - Brown (2.5)
Grundstrom (.925) - Goat (.9) - Leivo (.925)
Martin (2.5)

Forwards = 35.08

Rielly (5.0) - Hainsey (3.0)
Gardiner (4.5) - Dermott (.863)
Borgman (.925) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Carrick (.9)

Freddy (5.0)
McBackup (.85)

Defence & Goaltending = 25.54

Total = 60.6M

With Kessel being the only dead money around now, we're at 61.8M with a projected cap of 80-82 million.

If you look at the obvious areas of upgrade/improvement there:

-Middle 6 centre to allow Nylander to move back to the 1st line wing, or a skill winger to play with Matthews. I don't think Kappy is ready for this yet.
-That Hainsey slot is absolutely screaming for an upgrade. I think you can win with Jake-Dermott as a second pairing, but I don't think you can win with Hainsey on your top pairing, unless you've got prime Crosby-Geno-Kessel up front. That should be the priority slot to fill, even if it's not a truly ideal solution, but just a younger upgrade on Hainsey.
-A long term answer at 4C would be nice if Goat isn't the guy (probably isn't) so that we can stop throwing assets away

and an obvious concern when filling any of these holes is that about 12-14 million of that cap space has to be earmarked the following season for the Matthews-Marner raises. But it does put us in an interesting position to take a look at a player with 1 year of term remaining at a bad salary that could be of use filling those holes. Some possible trade targets that fit the bill:

- OEL: If he's not re signing in Zona, and they look at what McDonagh landed (which was an okay package, but did lack the type of homerun talent you would want), maybe he's someone that can be had for a reasonable price (and then potentially kept) while being a legit impact talent.
- Edler: Does a lot of the heavy lifting in Vancouver fairly decently. Not ideal, but a Hainsey upgrade.

-Nyquist: Detroit probably isn't too horny about signing him long term, and he's not a perfect solution but if we're unable to find a middle 6 centre and Willy ends up there, we could do worse than Nyquist as the supporting skill with Matthews.
-Zuccarello: A smaller, slightly lesser version of Nyquist.
-MaxPac: Probably price prohibitive, but Bergevin is an idiot so yeah.

If we filled in the entire group internally (with a few educated guesses on some RFA contracts) and let all of our veteran UFA's walk.

Hyman (2.5) - Matthews (3.775) - Kapanen (.863)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Marner (1.74)
Johnsson (1.2) - Nylander (6.5) - Brown (2.5)
Grundstrom (.925) - Goat (.9) - Leivo (.925)
Martin (2.5)

Forwards = 35.08

Rielly (5.0) - Hainsey (3.0)
Gardiner (4.5) - Dermott (.863)
Borgman (.925) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Carrick (.9)

Freddy (5.0)
McBackup (.85)

Defence & Goaltending = 25.54

Total = 60.6M

With Kessel being the only dead money around now, we're at 61.8M with a projected cap of 80-82 million.

If you look at the obvious areas of upgrade/improvement there:

-Middle 6 centre to allow Nylander to move back to the 1st line wing, or a skill winger to play with Matthews. I don't think Kappy is ready for this yet.
-That Hainsey slot is absolutely screaming for an upgrade. I think you can win with Jake-Dermott as a second pairing, but I don't think you can win with Hainsey on your top pairing, unless you've got prime Crosby-Geno-Kessel up front. That should be the priority slot to fill, even if it's not a truly ideal solution, but just a younger upgrade on Hainsey.
-A long term answer at 4C would be nice if Goat isn't the guy (probably isn't) so that we can stop throwing assets away

and an obvious concern when filling any of these holes is that about 12-14 million of that cap space has to be earmarked the following season for the Matthews-Marner raises. But it does put us in an interesting position to take a look at a player with 1 year of term remaining at a bad salary that could be of use filling those holes. Some possible trade targets that fit the bill:

- OEL: If he's not re signing in Zona, and they look at what McDonagh landed (which was an okay package, but did lack the type of homerun talent you would want), maybe he's someone that can be had for a reasonable price (and then potentially kept) while being a legit impact talent.
- Edler: Does a lot of the heavy lifting in Vancouver fairly decently. Not ideal, but a Hainsey upgrade.

-Nyquist: Detroit probably isn't too horny about signing him long term, and he's not a perfect solution but if we're unable to find a middle 6 centre and Willy ends up there, we could do worse than Nyquist as the supporting skill with Matthews.
-Zuccarello: A smaller, slightly lesser version of Nyquist.
-MaxPac: Probably price prohibitive, but Bergevin is an idiot so yeah.

MZ .... still a soft team. Put a simmonds in there on matthews wing, and a bieksa instead of a polak ... i know they are older but they will put their faces in front of a shot and show these kids how to win playoff hockey.
Not those player specifically but along those lines ... just not lucic lol

I think you utilize that cap space and go after a legit star player like Tavares, Doughty, Karlsson, OEL, Carlson, and failing that sign a guy like Thornton/Kovy to a one year deal.

Also, given the Leafs center depth, I think I'm on board with bringing back Bozy on a reasonable contract (2 years $3-4 mil). You have to shelter him, but he's been a good third line center. He has had a really good year.

ah **** right off with talking about next year in the series thread, *******s.
Fair point.

I'm kind of excited about Grundstrom as a prospect though, so couldn't resist commenting when his name came up. And forget next year---if the Leafs were to go deep enough in the playoffs this year, Grundstrom is a guy I could see Babcock turning to at some point.

Updated Series Stats - shot attempts for (cf), scoring chances for (scf), goals for (gf)

5v5 Score adjusted

TOR 49.7cf% - BOS 50.3cf%
TOR 50.5scf% - BOS 49.5scf%
TOR 41.6gf% - BOS 58.4gf%

PP

TOR 3:02/gm, 126.5cf/60, 75.1scf/60, 11.9gf/60
BOS: 5:47/gm, 101.5cf/60, 64.2scf/60, 12.4gf/60

If washington came back against the jackets and leafs likewise, tampa would be playing the pens? And we would get the caps?

Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun
5m
Babcock on Game 6 lineup: "I’m not sure. We’re going to have the same people. I’m not sure we’re going to have the same lineup. I have not decided for sure. With last change at home, might make that different. I don’t know for sure." #Leafs

so what the hell does that mean.

If babcock changes out kapanen or nylander for lomarov, lou should make babcock take a piss test

Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun
5m
Babcock on Game 6 lineup: "I’m not sure. We’re going to have the same people. I’m not sure we’re going to have the same lineup. I have not decided for sure. With last change at home, might make that different. I don’t know for sure." #Leafs

so what the hell does that mean.

Sounds like we’ll see same guys in the lineup but maybe different lines.

I don't see the lineup changing after a win, with momentum seemingly on our side headed home

combos maybe, he might stack a line a bit more if he can get matchup

Back