• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bruins Series Thread (no not a gameday thread), featuring too many stats

over his right shoulder

yes it was soft

Well yes, banking something in off of someone's face tends to have the puck go in over the shoulder. But the puck was going to miss the net if Freddy's face wasn't in the way.

I'm with zeke on this one.

I'm not with zeke on all of them, but this one, yeah.

I don't think Rask has let in any goals that compare to the Chara one, or the Krug one to start game 5.

Yeah. If you're making a list of the worst goals in the series, Freddy is probably top 4 or 5.

He let in some unforgiveable shit.

cross-seam pass? is that what bozak was trying to do? oh wait - you are thinking of a different goal - go watch the video i posted

but two can play your game

1) bad angle shot from the wall, with the goalie not having an angle, terrible rebound control especially for a weak shot, not making himself big in the net and having the puck go weakly between body and arm [/quote]

oh you ARE talking about the rebound in the crease by the best in-tight PP scorer in hockey. that's what I thought originally.

2) seeing eye shot, for 5-6 feet away with traffic in front of the net that fit into a small space

yes, the waster shot off the goalline with traffic nowhere near the front of the net that had no way of going in except for bouncing off the goalie's head.

On what kind of shot it was, you.

Just had to read back to see where you got that idea.

I see it now.

I was only saying if you give JVR credit for shooting it through Rask you have to give credit to Chara. Cant have it both ways.

I then proceeded to mock Zeke's rosy view of leaf goals by providing the rosy view of Chara's goal.

My original argument was just that Rask and Fred have pretty much been of equal play in this series.

Just had to read back to see where you got that idea.

I see it now.

I was only saying if you give JVR credit for shooting it through Rask you have to give credit to Chara. Cant have it both ways.

This is where we disagree. JVR is as elite as it gets from there, in prime scoring territory with the goalie having to go post to post just prior to his chance. On Chara's goal, the puck didn't cross the royal road within the previous few seconds and the shot was taken 15 feet from the net at the goal line.

You can absolutely have it both ways as long as you're not drawing false equivalencies.

I then proceeded to mock Zeke's rosy view of leaf goals by providing the rosy view of Chara's goal.

Which again, when viewing both goals, is flat out wrong.

My original argument was just that Rask and Fred have pretty much been of equal play in this series.

This I agreed with

You're dead wrong on comparing those two goals though, hilariously wrong man.

Wrong goal I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRuVomXwqpk
start watching at 52 seconds

I am not comparing the goals because they are similar in how they went in (which is why I think you are getting the goal confused with that sweet move JVR pulled at the top of the crease and then went top shelf). I am comparing them because the goalies should have stopped both. That is all. Both were weak sauce.

There is no post to post anything. The D man throws it to bozak in the corner he takes a weak shot that Rask should have controlled much better. Even if JVR deked the shit outta the whole team and scored it is still a shit rebound that makes the goal weak. But in addition to his horrible rebound on bozaks shot he lets the goal go between his arm and body - that is horrible and cannot happen from that tight in close.

Side note: haha at JVR elbowing chara in the face while celebrating

au contraire, you'd be blaming them both on horrific defense.

Which both? Some were bad plays in front for sure, like Marchand weak on the puck trying to skate away with it, and leaving it behind him for Marner to score. But Rask wasn't up to the task either.

What what? Stats will not show you this, but eyes will. The Nylander goal all started with the puck harmlessly sliding in on Rask, and him shoveling it to the right, straight to...nobody. Nylander came in and took the puck, ultimately working it around for Zaitsev's easy shot, which Rask doesn't absorb, and then Nylander scores on the easy rebound. All 100% Rask **** up. But you're giving him credit for it!

See here if you don't believe:

[video=youtube;bN7SCvAJVAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN7SCvAJVAA[/video]

you mean the great save off the kadri tip as he sat untouched at the top of the crease?

You mean the no-save on Kadri because he popped the rebound out to Kadri, who deflected it over to Willy?

You'd be killing Andersen over that play, from beginning to end. Somehow you don't notice Rask's involvement at all. Interesting.

The turnover right into the middle of the slot that Mitch rifled off teh post on his backhand?

The turnover that he had plenty of time to adjust to, but was too far to one side, and not far out enough, and allowed Marner to score on? Yeah.

Marleau in all alone off the pass across on two on ones?

Marleau's first was a weak tip that slid softly through Rask's legs, and the second one went right under his glove and over his pad, if I'm not mistaken, but definitely through him. A good glove gets that easily.

You're cool with Freddy giving up those two on ones, but not the ones the Bruins scored on him? Not all two on ones are created equal, I guess.

a PP rebound in the crease from the best PP crease man in the league?

Square to the shooter but not holding himself together tight to block the shot from in tight? Freddy gets a pardon from you on that one if it was him?

every single goal you mentioned was a a point blank slot chance from a guy in all alone on Rask.

And how many of Freddy's were not point blank shots from Pastrnak, or two on ones by the Bs?

You would be absolutely destroying that "horrible defense" if they wore blue.

I'm sure I'd be holding players to task for things they do, just like I am on Marchand on Marner's GWG last night, but so what? The point is, if the goalie isn't given a great shot to see the puck, or is falling prey to endless shots alone in front, or two on ones, he's going to give some up. You have no problem whatsoever with the ones Rask has given up, which frankly have cost his team directly since they've come in one goal losses. But Freddy is a sieve every time he can't get over on a two on one, or lets in a screened shot. It's crazy how biased you are about it, and how you don't even notice it.

This is where we disagree. JVR is as elite as it gets from there, in prime scoring territory with the goalie having to go post to post just prior to his chance. On Chara's goal, the puck didn't cross the royal road within the previous few seconds and the shot was taken 15 feet from the net at the goal line.

You can absolutely have it both ways as long as you're not drawing false equivalencies.

Which again, when viewing both goals, is flat out wrong.

This I agreed with

You're dead wrong on comparing those two goals though, hilariously wrong man.

He's totally not wrong.

Chara made an amazing shot. You have to give him credit. So Freddy had started to fall a bit in anticipation of the pass over that never came, but it was all Chara who waited him out and took that trick shot.

JVR made an amazing shot. Parked in front of the net, with very little to shoot at, and finds the small spot open in the top corner to roof it.

So on the Chara goal, Freddy should've known better to stay on the post and cover up the top corner, but on the JVR goal Rask is just hopeless and can't defend against the roof shot? How does this work in opposite ways on these two goals?

To compare goal scoring resumes of the two players is pretty silly. They both clearly intended to do what they did. Chara deliberately picked that top corner, and so did JVR. But we're going to say that because JVR is a prolific scorer in tight, he's entitled to more credit on that shot, and because Chara isn't much of a scorer, you pin that on the goalie?

Or that because JVR's was from close in, and Chara's was from further out, they're different somehow? They're both great shots.

Notice that I didn't say one word about Rask giving up that goal to JVR. It's full credit to the scorer. No different than the Chara goal.

Bruins lines at practice.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Heinen-
Nash-Nash-Backes
Schaller - Kuraly - Acciari
Donato - Gionta - Wingels

don't be surprised if that "big bad" nash-nash-backes line plays the least, as all 3 have been useless, even though being big and bad is apparently so important in the playoffs.

He's totally not wrong.

Chara made an amazing shot. You have to give him credit. So Freddy had started to fall a bit in anticipation of the pass over that never came, but it was all Chara who waited him out and took that trick shot.

JVR made an amazing shot. Parked in front of the net, with very little to shoot at, and finds the small spot open in the top corner to roof it.

So on the Chara goal, Freddy should've known better to stay on the post and cover up the top corner, but on the JVR goal Rask is just hopeless and can't defend against the roof shot? How does this work in opposite ways on these two goals?

To compare goal scoring resumes of the two players is pretty silly. They both clearly intended to do what they did. Chara deliberately picked that top corner, and so did JVR. But we're going to say that because JVR is a prolific scorer in tight, he's entitled to more credit on that shot, and because Chara isn't much of a scorer, you pin that on the goalie?

Or that because JVR's was from close in, and Chara's was from further out, they're different somehow? They're both great shots.

Notice that I didn't say one word about Rask giving up that goal to JVR. It's full credit to the scorer. No different than the Chara goal.

this is utterly ridiculous.

one man walked right in front, off a cross ice pass, with all the time in the world to fake a shot to freeze the goalie then roof it right into the top netting. for all intents it was an unstoppable play.

the other guy threw a no-angle waster at the net hoping to catch the goalie cheating and he did. bouncing a puck ofnthe goalie might be acceptable if the goalie is out of position for a legit reason, but there is never an excuse on this kind of play, ever.

calling these two goals comparable is insanely stupidly wrong.

Wrong goal I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRuVomXwqpk
start watching at 52 seconds

I am not comparing the goals because they are similar in how they went in (which is why I think you are getting the goal confused with that sweet move JVR pulled at the top of the crease and then went top shelf). I am comparing them because the goalies should have stopped both. That is all. Both were weak sauce.

There is no post to post anything. The D man throws it to bozak in the corner he takes a weak shot that Rask should have controlled much better. Even if JVR deked the shit outta the whole team and scored it is still a shit rebound that makes the goal weak. But in addition to his horrible rebound on bozaks shot he lets the goal go between his arm and body - that is horrible and cannot happen from that tight in close.

Side note: haha at JVR elbowing chara in the face while celebrating

My bad. I looked at the goal you're talking about and still think you're nuts.

You're comparing a goal from the absolute highest shooting % area of the offensive zone, to a shot from damn near the worst shooting % areas of the ice in the offensive and and then claiming the goals are equally as bad?

Let me put it this way: Had Freddy left the net, skated to the bench, went to the dressing room, took his equipment off, left the arena, got in his car, driven to his home, sat down on his couch, turned on the game to watch Chara baring down on an empty net from a bad angle, Chara's shot would have missed the net and gone harmlessly into the other corner.

The only reason that it went in was that Freddy was in poor position. He should have been tight to the post and he wasn't, his upped body sagged off of the post. This created a possibility for the puck to go in when there was no other possible way for it to go in from there.

Rask probably could have tightened up his butterfly after the Bozak attempted pass/soft shot when off of his pads, and it went through him. Yeah, Rask could/should have been tighter and better there but it was a shot from the single area of the ice where shots go in at the highest rate, and it was the best guy in the league at that type of opportunity taking it.

Chara deliberately picked that top corner

Then he missed what he was deliberately aiming for. He banked the puck in off of Freddy's face. The shot would have missed the net if Freddy's face wasn't in the way. Watch it again, and focus on where Chara released the puck from. He releases the puck from almost exactly on the goal line.

Bruins lines at practice.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Heinen-
Nash-Nash-Backes
Schaller - Kuraly - Acciari
Donato - Gionta - Wingels

Going young and fast...other than that veteran 3rd line, which is of averagish speed other than the odd Rick Nash burst down the wing.

For all the complaining about Babs not giving a chance to our young guys over Gud Pros, our version of Donato is playing.

Back