• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sylvain Lefebvre fired

in any case, a new coach after a horrid start would not involve a new long term commitment, more of an interim move such as an assistant or someone else in the org.

Mostly need talent to develop players for the NHL. But man the defensive scheme in Laval was atrocious this year, kids can't learn properly when everybody is playing the wrong way.

Just a tip...

=

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-04-18-%C3%A0-10.10.29.png

drafting is an issue.....see McCarron
but the develop (not just at the AHL level) is god awful

Mostly need talent to develop players for the NHL. But man the defensive scheme in Laval was atrocious this year, kids can't learn properly when everybody is playing the wrong way.
Leafs have done it the right way: they know the Marlies team consists of 3-5 prospects they hope to develop, they’ve paid big time $ to lure career AHLers to create a winning environment to develop those handful of legit prospects.

Leafs have done it the right way: they know the Marlies team consists of 3-5 prospects they hope to develop, they’ve paid big time $ to lure career AHLers to create a winning environment to develop those handful of legit prospects.

Laval did the same this year, but it really didnt help. All the offense came from three players, Terry , Taormina and Cracknell, the rest did almost nothing. What a clusterf*ck.

Supposedly it was a 30 minute discussion with Torts that turned his career around. Dubois wasn't playing much and a move to the wing was considered. So Dubois requested a meeting with Torts, Torts told him what he needed to do to get more playing time. Dubois did exactly what he was told, and now he is the # 1 centre on the Jackets. Only if it was so simple with Galchenyuk...

Sounds a little too easy.

Bouchard coached him and worked with him during the summer, I would venture a guess that helped Dubois more than a 30 minute discussion on ice time

Leafs like the Habs are one of the richest teams in the NHL.

In terms of the cap etc...all teams are on the same playing field.

However, when you have an abundance of resources you can splurge on to improve every other area in your organization and don't that's when you will get criticized.

Leafs spend on areas which allow them to be successful at drafting and development.

They run their AHL club like an NHL club...they have a GM for the Marlies, they have a good group of coaches down there and permanent people in charge of player development.

They also invest in scouting more than any other team....I saw a chart in which they employ the most scouts in the NHL.

They've also revamped a lot of what they do with player development to.

It's night and day in how the Habs have built their hockey ops considering the money they have

First year we have a full time GM for the AHL team and we don't have nearly the amount of scouts and player development personel the Leafs have

Laval did the same this year, but it really didnt help. All the offense came from three players, Terry , Taormina and Cracknell, the rest did almost nothing. What a clusterf*ck.
Agreed - that’s where the coaching staff proficiency comes into play...there’s a reason Stars & NYR are looking to hire Sheldon Keefe as their head coach, same can’t be said about Sly.

Leafs like the Habs are one of the richest teams in the NHL.

In terms of the cap etc...all teams are on the same playing field.

However, when you have an abundance of resources you can splurge on to improve every other area in your organization and don't that's when you will get criticized.

Leafs spend on areas which allow them to be successful at drafting and development.

They run their AHL club like an NHL club...they have a GM for the Marlies, they have a good group of coaches down there and permanent people in charge of player development.

They also invest in scouting more than any other team....I saw a chart in which they employ the most scouts in the NHL.

They've also revamped a lot of what they do with player development to.

It's night and day in how the Habs have built their hockey ops considering the money they have

First year we have a full time GM for the AHL team and we don't have nearly the amount of scouts and player development personel the Leafs have

Its all part of the Shanny plan DK , the blueprint to overhaul everything that was wrong

Its all part of the Shanny plan DK , the blueprint to overhaul everything that was wrong

MB strikes me more as a guy that wants to work with people he is friends with and close to.

He doesn't necessarily strike me as a guy that will go through a proper and thorough hiring process to hire the best or most qualified.

He may be only going in that direction now that he fired his good buddy SLY.

I don't agree at all.

At worst, I'd put it at 50-50.

It'd be one thing if the players drafted would progress on a year by year basis, only to come up short to the NHL. Then yeah, you could easily point towards the scouting staff and say the player evaluation wasn't good enough.

I look at a player like Darren Dietz. He was a guy I was convinced would make the NHL eventually as a #5-6. In Junior he had a gradual progression and was named the top d-man in the WHL along with being arguably one of the two best d-men in the Memorial Cup before going pro. Patrice Brisebois, when he was part of the organization, was interviewed and spoke about how Dietz was a gym rat and was always one of the first people to the arena every time.

However, the second he got to the minors, his progression stopped. I get that some players, for numerous potential reasons, don't see their play translate to the pro level. I have no issue there. But it happened with pretty much every single player that Lefebvre got his hands on.

All the tea in China wasn’t going to give Tinordi or McCarron speed & lateral movement to keep up with rapidly changing NHL game, Beaulieu quick & correct decision making capability, Fucale talent.

Le-fever didn’t help but didn’t screw them up, they simply didn’t/don’t have what it takes for today’s NHL - just like Dietz doesn’t, he’s a tweener, who can’t adjust decisions to the pace of the NHL game and needs the extra time to process that KHL surface provides. Had TT drafted Parayko vs Dietz, I doubt even Sly would’ve kept him from becoming an NHer - and I think very little of his capabilities as a coach.

Last edited:
There is very very few examples of players that developed under Sly over the years. Hudon and Pateryn might be the only two. Plenty of players had their progression come to an abrupt halt the moment the ended up on our farm team.

The good players we drafted managed to make it by avoiding spending too much time around Sly.

I thought Dietz would have been a good one as well.

Beaulieu could have definitely been coached better. If you can't coach decision making then I don't know what can you coach.

Last edited:
Back