• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sylvain Lefebvre fired

Beaulieu could have definitely been coached better. If you can't coach decision making then I don't know what can you coach.
Juulsen as well

Can’t coach desire & ability/willingness to learn - that would be my only retort, like Chad Kilger and Benoit Pouliot, IMO Beaulieu enjoy the perks of being an NHLer vs doing everything it takes to be an actual pro.

Even under a D friendly modern day coach like Housley, Beaulieu didn’t show any improvement

Juulsen as well

Can’t coach desire & ability/willingness to learn - that would be my only retort, like Chad Kilger and Benoit Pouliot, IMO Beaulieu enjoy the perks of being an NHLer vs doing everything it takes to be an actual pro.

Even under a D friendly modern day coach like Housley, Beaulieu didn’t show any improvement

Housley is an awful coach. He's completely in over his head.

Juulsen as well

Juulsen is another one who barely played for Lefebvre.

I do think you can coach drive and willingness to learn. It's called inspiring. It's not an easy task though but an important one when dealing with millennials.

Kilger's problem wasn't drive but talent. He had the physical tools but little creativity and cement hands.

I do think you can coach drive and willingness to learn. It's called inspiring. It's not an easy task though but an important one when dealing with millennials.

Kilger's problem wasn't drive but talent. He had the physical tools but little creativity and cement hands.

The 2018 version of Kilger is Lawson Crouse

I do think you can coach drive and willingness to learn. It's called inspiring. It's not an easy task though but an important one when dealing with millennial.

Except maybe 5 players, every single NHL player is a "millennial."

All the tea in China wasn’t going to give Tinordi or McCarron speed & lateral movement to keep up with rapidly changing NHL game, Beaulieu quick & correct decision making capability, Fucale talent.

Le-fever didn’t help but didn’t screw them up, they simply didn’t/don’t have what it takes for today’s NHL - just like Dietz doesn’t, he’s a tweener, who can’t adjust decisions to the pace of the NHL game and needs the extra time to process that KHL surface provides. Had TT drafted Parayko vs Dietz, I doubt even Sly would’ve kept him from becoming an NHer - and I think very little of his capabilities as a coach.

A big word salad that doesn't cover a single thing I wrote about. Well done.

Where was the year by year tangible progression in McCarron/Tinordi? I already told you it's one thing if the players progress year by year, only to come short of making the NHL, but this wasn't the case at all.

Maybe Dietz would have never made it to the NHL, regardless of who coached in the minors. But the fact that there was no development whatsoever is stunning. From everything you could read, he had a lot of traits that could have turned him into an NHLer.

It's so easy for someone who worked in the organization to point at someone else and say "Well, it's mostly their fault, really.", but to say they're virtually blameless is nonsense.

Goes without saying, but alas, equality of outcome reigns supreme in this organization.

I don't disagree but in this case, you'd be hard press to find anyone has qualified for the job than Ducharmes and Bouchard. Their track records are almost flawless in the last few years.

Ducharme took a once storied franchises in the Q, Drumondville, Fired everyone involved with the team, including the equipment guys, to start fresh with a new mindset and brought that franchise back amoung the elite of the Q.

Bouchard brought a new team right next in Habs territory, where historically, Junior club can't survive, and brought this to a successful franchise and a team that aspires to the memorial cup for a second year.

Both of them worked together to bring back Gold in the junior team championship (even if they were French guys, their team only had 1 or 2 players from the Q).

I'd compare them to Hunter's track record in Ontario (although Hunter has been doing it for far longer so he has obviously the edge).

So while other cancidate would be great, it Ducharmes and Bouchard would be considered by any team as top priorities to hire by any team in the NHL right now.

Yeah, there has been a disproportionate number of capable French speaking coaches in the NHL for years now, so the Habs really had no reason to look elsewhere and create an awkward situation with the local media. The only exception could be Therrien's hiring , that was debatable. And now with many of these French coaches near the end of their careers, its important they get someone like Ducharme on board now.

One of the narratives from the Rejean Tremblays of this world is that one of the reasons the Habs need to hire French coaches is because nobody else will give them opportunities otherwise.

That couldn't be any more factually incorrect if they tried.

Patrick Roy & Guy Boucher were hired as head coaches. Pascal Vincent's being groomed for a head coaching gig, same for Benoit Groulx. Dominique Ducharme is likely going to be coaching somewhere in the AHL next year & Joel Bouchard will be following him in the next few years if he so chooses. If things go right for him, maybe André Tourigny will be getting a head coaching job in the AHL a few years from now. Not to mention Alain Vigneault's probably going to be re-hired somewhere within the next year or so. That's not to mention that Claude Julien was originally hired by Deadmonton to coach the Hamilton Bulldogs back when we shared a farm team with them.

If the coach is good enough, they'll make it eventually, regardless of what language he speaks. The only exception being here, obviously.

Back