• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Peters resigns ... the coaching search thread

Re: Peters resigns, search for a new coach is on

I think the most likely scenario is Brindy wants to get into coaching is that Vellucci ends up in Raleigh and Brindy takes over coaching the Checkers. He needs to put in his time and earn it. I am dead against hiring him as the Canes head coach right now, for multiple reasons. He has ZERO head coaching experience and the organization needs to take the opportunity to make a clean break from the last decade.

Agree. It's worth noting that Brind'Amour has turned down the chance to even discuss the Checkers job twice in the past. Maybe if he's serious about wanting to be a NHL head coach, he'll go down and pay some dues.

And look ... I don't begrudge him anything and have no issues with the guy. I just think the Canes badly need an experienced hand at the rudder. If we settle, then I'm hoping we at least settle for a guy with extensive head coaching experience on some level. Vellucci is that. Brindy is not.

Didn't Brindy say he had no desire to live anywhere but Raleigh, when approached about going to Charlotte? Or something alon those lines?

I'm sick of cut rate, no experience coaches.

Didn't Brindy say he had no desire to live anywhere but Raleigh, when approached about going to Charlotte? Or something alon those lines?

I'm sick of cut rate, no experience coaches.

Correct. I also think he was less than interested in working in the AHL and schlepping around the minors. Again ... dues. It's a big reason not that many star players end up in coaching.

Another vote against Brindy ... because the PP and the forward corps hasn’t been exactly stellar during his tenure and because we need more of a break from the previous regime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get Velluci angle. Coached juniors and a year in the AHL. How does this make him the go to guy? This hire would still be from within the family.

Dundon is driving a bus that's gone off the road and is now teetering over the guardrail. If enough people jump out the windows, the bus is going to tumble. I have my leg out the window already......
A few missteps early on, but nothing that catastrophic. He’s moved out pieces in RF, Peters and Olcyzk and has at least found an equivalent if not an upgrade in bringing in Krepelka. I am glad to see the overhaul and that it’s going on top first. Too many times we have seen tweaks around the edges with the team but no real change elsewhere. Finally PK has been shut up and we’ve got an owner with the resources to back up his mouth and not run this like some family business.

I don't get Velluci angle. Coached juniors and a year in the AHL. How does this make him the go to guy? This hire would still be from within the family.

I agree, Vellucci would be 9 or 10 on my wishlist for coach. The search should start with Tippett and hopefully a handful of veteran guys like Lindy Ruff, Darryl Sutter, and others. I don’t want the Canes getting cute with up and comers that have next to no NHL head coaching experience.

GM first, coach second. It's more fun to think about the latter, but we need an experienced GM to help steer Dundon in the right direction. The man does not like to lose - and I love that - but he needs a guiding hand.

His long successful tenure in major junior makes him at least as qualified as the last couple of guys we hired. And at this point I think we’re all just trying to convince ourselves that everything’s going to be all right

Head coach means he done been or is gonna get fired. The only ones I can think of that haven't been are Mike Babcock and Bill Peters and of course Scotty Bowman. Here's an incomplete list of current, recent and maybe next to get fired. I left off those who are doing well and aren't near to that stage as yet. - meant to remove Babcock but he, Boudreau and Trotz could see the ice crackin' under 'em if their GM's & owners are unhappy with how far they get in the playoffs. And some others... Some of these did pretty well over time and were assts. before becoming NHL Head coaches. Anybody on this list that strikes yer fancy? Frankly there a number of assts that are due for a team of their own but that's another list. (Ulf? who checks a bunch o' boxes...)

Randy Carlyle, Rick Tocchet, Phil Housley, Jeff Blashill, Todd McLellan, Bob Boughner, John Stevens, Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien, Ron Wilson, Marc Crawford, Doug Weight, Guy Boucher, Jack Capuano, Alain Vigneault, Mike Babcock, Travis Green, Barry Trotz, Dan Bylsma, Bob Boughner, Willie Desjardins, Darryl Sutter, Brent Sutter, Paul MacLean, Lindy Ruff, Glen Gulutzan, Dave Cameron, Kevin Dineen...

Recently the Canes aren't exactly the prime wish for a bunch of coaches. And there are damn few I'd just love to have here. Tippett would not be a bad choice but while he did pretty well with a poor situation, I don't see any fire in nor from him.

Vellucci single-handily ran the Plymouth Whalers as both head coach and GM for 13 years so is definitely the most qualified of the internal candidates. Admittedly not coaching millionaires but he seems to be translating well as an AHL coach. Kinda busy winning a Calder Cup right now, so timing is awkward.

If Dundon goes outside then Tippett is who he knows from his Dallas fandom days. I'm lukewarm on that option.

Have to say I just laughed and said "Uh, no." When I saw McKenzie's Brind'Amour tweet. But I'm warming to the idea of Brind'Amour as the next head coach as the owner continues to play with his toy without reading the instructions.

This guy is not going to pay any attention to the linear structure of a GM that hires/manages below and reports up to owner. It's hive mind all the way. Coach may well be named before GM because it's easier. And picking coach is not on the current Canes GM job description.

So with that scenario in mind, Brind'Amour as chief motivator and war chief from the top, together with Williams working the room from the inside, might be just the combo this bunch needs to take the next step in gelling together as some kind of a team for a change.

Many is the time this season that elskling and I sarcastically remarked "if only there was someone to like, you know, coach them up a little bit."

I believe Brind'Amour would coach them up. The man can be downright eloquent at times.

And, as a final exhibit, read this interview.

Last edited:

A lot of Calgary fans are confused or angry about tomorrow's announcement as Peters of coach. I kinda feel bad for them.

Brindy has had head coaching experience - with the jr. Canes.
Here’s another thought, what about a non skating coach? I’m thinking Forslund or someone like him that knows hockey and playing inside out and sees it from a three dimensional viewpoint. And in addition, I’d want to see a skating coach.

Well, we have had the most success with NHL experienced coaches. See Peter Laviolette and Paul Maurice v.2.

Actually, there was most success over time (and this pains hell outta me to say) with PMv1. In the first five years as the Canes: 3 times in the playoffs w/ one of those in the Cup finals. After that: twice. And this is over 20 years. The rest were busts. Maybe is time to do something different. As you mention above, TD has a coupla stumbles but MAYBE is lumbering toward... something... but it is a different appearing path. It'll be interesting and maybe an adventure and we fans are just gonna hafta ride with it.

At first I was wanting Tippett but just didn't see any fire there. So I've come to see Roddy as a better choice. He may stumble a bit too but he will bring fire and will be respected by any players here or those later. And won't have passengers. And it would be a helluva ride and the entire NHL world will be watching. Rod has lots of experience - nine years as an assistant under two less than ideal HC's and has seen what he does not want! He showed as Captain that he isn't cowed by the pressure. KM & BP just could not get the best from their players. Rod ain't gonna have that problem! He was loyal to his coaches but we could always tell he was never satisfied nor happy with the way things were.

And if it's Velucci or Tippett or... then so be it!

I see a lot of people wanting Rod because he would have the players fired up. I don't get why he would get them any more fired up than when he was assistant. Just because Peters was head coach there wasn't anything stopping Brindy from firing up the players if he felt that was necessary.

I see a lot of people wanting Rod because he would have the players fired up. I don't get why he would get them any more fired up than when he was assistant. Just because Peters was head coach there wasn't anything stopping Brindy from firing up the players if he felt that was necessary.

Exactly. Rod has been there for years. He's as much to blame for the futility as Peters. How is he all of a sudden going to turn things around with his attitude? I think many people are still blinded by nostalgia.

Back