• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Peters resigns ... the coaching search thread

Re: Peters resigns, search for a new coach is in

Oops. Typo on the thread title... meant to say search for a new coach is "on". I hate typing on a phone. Mods feel free to fix.

Re: 2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

... and it's done ... Bye Bill

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/bill-peters-resigns-position-as-head-coach/c-298142812

Created new thread for this though now that it's real.

Great news as far as I am concerned. Canes save money and he was not going to be the coach here next year anyways. Anyone else think it would be funning if Peters and Calgary fell through?

If the Canes hire a head coach BEFORE a GM I will officially quit defending Dundon and start complaining about him. The next moves around coaching and GM will be very telling as to the Canes future. Things have lined up quite nicely for Dundon right now. It is time to hire a competent GM, find an up and coming great head coach, and get to planning a roster rebuild this summer. Time to deliver Dundon....the ball is officially in your court right now.

Wow. The air feels fresher in Raleigh suddenly. I'm going to go downstairs and see if my water tastes better, but I suspect that it will.

Great news as far as I am concerned. Canes save money and he was not going to be the coach here next year anyways. Anyone else think it would be funning if Peters and Calgary fell through?

If the Canes hire a head coach BEFORE a GM I will officially quit defending Dundon and start complaining about him. The next moves around coaching and GM will be very telling as to the Canes future. Things have lined up quite nicely for Dundon right now. It is time to hire a competent GM, find an up and coming great head coach, and get to planning a roster rebuild this summer. Time to deliver Dundon....the ball is officially in your court right now.

Yeah ... GM first, coach after. That's the traditional way to do things for good reason, not because it's just traditional. I've got a sneaking suspicion that we might get the cart before the horse, though. We'll see.

Last edited:
Re: Peters resigns, search for a new coach is on

Guess we don't get to find out next year if Kinetico Bill has any more kids with acting aspirations.

Seriously.. seemed like a great dude, I'd raise a glass with him anytime.. but not a good in -game manager at all.

Hope we get someone better next, not just someone conveniently available.

i know i was in the minority here regarding Peters, but ultimately this is for the best. This team needs a clean slate in the worst way.

Peters may become a better head coach in a new environment...happens all the time, but I don't think it was ever going to happen in Carolina. If he does end up in Calgary I will be very interested to see how he does. He ends up with a higher end player in Gaudreau than anyone currently on Canes roster (Aho has potential to match one day) and Monahan is closer to a true #1 center than anyone on Canes (Thanks Canes scouting for Lindholm!) but the rosters overall are a bit similar with some gaping holes and depth issues. Goaltending is suspect and also another smaller markets where it is harder to attract free agents. Teams also finished about the same in standings with goal differential about the same. Seems like a strange move by Calgary to think this guy would be an upgrade when so much is similar between the teams.

Good news for everybody involved. Peters gets a fresh start in his old stomping grounds (supposedly) and the Canes get to bring in someone new (hopefully) to whip this team into shape.

Wow. The air feels fresher in Raleigh suddenly. I'm going to go downstairs and see if my water tastes better, but I suspect that it will.

You sure that isn't the 4/20 talking?

TD is assuming the duties of both GM and coach. It puts him closer to the players.
‘I watched several of the canes games plus a few playoff games recently and coaching can’t be that hard. With my native intelligence, I’ll bring the team to a new level. And as GM I can pull the trigger immediately when a deal comes by.

TD is assuming the duties of both GM and coach. It puts him closer to the players.
‘I watched several of the canes games plus a few playoff games recently and coaching can’t be that hard. With my native intelligence, I’ll bring the team to a new level. And as GM I can pull the trigger immediately when a deal comes by.

I heard he was going to play goal too and on his off days he was going to be our 1C, and sell pure, clean drinking water, and tacos.

...Seems like a strange move by Calgary to think this guy would be an upgrade when so much is similar between the teams.

Still absorbing the happy-ending news here, so haven't yet circled back to a couple of Flames fan boards I sampled earlier this week.

But Peters proponents, which were the majority, were looking for more of a "just right" fit of the coach/player relationship between Hartley's snarl and Gulutzan's player-friendliness than wholesale system changes.

Peters' gruff but approachable demeanor seemed just right to them. Local boy went a long way...a very long way.

Team Canada stamp of approval also went a long way with them. Record of failure was hung on our goaltending, lack thereof, and general lack of talent, not him.

... Record of failure was hung on our goaltending, lack thereof, and general lack of talent, not him.

This will be the message Calgary puts out when they fire him in summer 2020. At least it will be a familiar refrain.

Peters may become a better head coach in a new environment...happens all the time, but I don't think it was ever going to happen in Carolina. If he does end up in Calgary I will be very interested to see how he does. He ends up with a higher end player in Gaudreau than anyone currently on Canes roster (Aho has potential to match one day) and Monahan is closer to a true #1 center than anyone on Canes (Thanks Canes scouting for Lindholm!) but the rosters overall are a bit similar with some gaping holes and depth issues. Goaltending is suspect and also another smaller markets where it is harder to attract free agents. Teams also finished about the same in standings with goal differential about the same. Seems like a strange move by Calgary to think this guy would be an upgrade when so much is similar between the teams.

Tell ya what. Peters will become a better coach if and when he learns not to be so bullheaded and to play to his team's strengths instead of sticking to his script. It's not impossible ... heck, Paul Maurice did it. It took him a stinking decade, but he did it.

This will be the message Calgary puts out when they fire him in summer 2020. At least it will be a familiar refrain.

Maybe, but somewhere on the Canadian plains there's a forward with a similar skillset to Derek Ryan who will likely be on that blame list as well.

I heard he was going to play goal too and on his off days he was going to be our 1C, and sell pure, clean drinking water, and tacos.

But will he text Tripp about where he ate dinner while pissing on his shoes? (anybody remember that?)

Good news for everybody involved. Peters gets a fresh start in his old stomping grounds (supposedly) and the Canes get to bring in someone new (hopefully) to whip this team into shape.

All and all everyone is happy at the end of the day. Canes cost savings on that lame duck year Peters would have served here should go a long ways to finding a competent GM and coach that will certainly provide a different approach moving forward. The players certainly could use a breath of fresh air because the Peters message and system clearly was not working here. I really hope for the sake of this franchise that the new GM and Coach will be on the same page and pulling the same rope...because this year it sure seemed like their was a huge disconnect between Francis and Wild Bill and it costs them both their jobs.

FWIW, Waddell said they will be running both searches at the same time. So ... not waiting for a GM to hire the coach.

Back