• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Peters resigns ... the coaching search thread

Re: Peters resigns, search for a new coach is on

FWIW, Waddell said they will be running both searches at the same time. So ... not waiting for a GM to hire the coach.

I really hope Waddell is wrong here and communicated the wrong message. Hiring a coach before a GM is just plain idiotic in the case of Carolina.

I really hope Waddell is wrong here and communicated the wrong message. Hiring a coach before a GM is just plain idiotic in the case of Carolina.

Waddell is a puppet. He's only saying what he's been told to say. Of that you can be 100% certain.

Ok great. That was the news needed to get me to start caring again. He should have gotten the axe looooong ago though.

I heard he was going to play goal too and on his off days he was going to be our 1C, and sell pure, clean drinking water, and tacos.

He will be attending Learn To Play Sunday afternoons at the ice house. During an interview he said ‘skating and hockey can’t be too hard. Look at all the rock heads that do it. And goalie, what can be so hard about preventing a rubber disk from entering a 24 sq foot thing? Geez, hockey will be a breeze.

Peters speaks. Says it was more about letting the new GM pick the coach.

Bill Peters said:
“It kept coming back to the fact that a new GM deserves the opportunity to hire his own coach. And especially when you combine it with a new owner and a new GM, I think they need to chart their own path.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article209479494.html

Gold and Ovies interviewed Dundon around 5:00. Look for that on the WRALSportsfan app later.

One thing (maybe the thing) that Peters knows how to do well is say the right things to impress management. He trots out is binder, he says "I'm a good soldier--let the GM choose the coach", blah blah blah.

That interview was for future bosses only

In a conversation with Jeff Gravely, Brindy throws his hat in the ring.

"I told him (Tom Dundon) if he’s going to start looking, start with me."

https://mobile.twitter.com/jgravleywral/status/987490681177419776

I’m torn on Brindy as a head coach, part of me thinks he has that warrior mentality and natural leadership abilities to be decent, but the other part of me thinks this Canes bunch needs a hard ass, well seasoned head coach with tons of experience under his belt. I love Brindy and what he did as a player, but that many times does not translate over to coaching and management type positions.

I'm torn on Brind'Amour as a head coach. I worry too much Hurricanes funk is in his DNA. I want our next coach to exposed to someplace else that's not this franchise and has a resume with head coaching experience at the NHL level. Roddy is the best Cane ever and while he may be the right guy, this might not be the right time. Let him get head coaching experience at the AHL level with a completely different org and then come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm torn on Brindy as a head coach... He is the best Cane ever, but his coaching experience is limited, and head coaches are hired to be fired, if not straight run out of town, so it's gonna make it all that more painful when that day comes whenever it comes (unless it comes after a 25-year, perennial playoff, multi-Cup-winning, retire-into-the-sunset tour of duty -- hey, a guy can dream, right?)

Last edited:

OK, you guys, that I respect and even A. Gold that I ain't too crazy about have convinced me. Plus all that I have seen and experienced from RB'A, in seeing and hearing him in interviews and a few conversations I've had with him over the years. I damn sure don't want a Mike Keenan nor some guy who has a decent AHL record (look at those failures - BP anyone?)... Velucci might be a good choice but maybe better as GM... There is one other that might be an excellent coach for the Canes - Ulf (if he's not too close to RF with that change). If we can't get Joel Q. But wait. I am seeing a vision, and yes it could be come a nightmare but I don't think so...

I am convinced that the next best coach for the Canes is Rod Brind'Amour!!! He has a world of experience, in success and failure - he sees what not to do as well as what just may work. He was saddled with a decent coach/boss who wanted to trust Kinetico to get the job done. He's not a 'hard-ass' but he won't stand for failure by not giving it your all. He knows what it takes to win - from both sides. NO one sets a better example as a leader and I'd bet he can finally get the best from each of the misfits we now have and have them playing as a team; and I'd further bet that every player here now as well as others added would follow him into hell to win! And he wants to prove it!!!

NO, just say no, please. I want a clean slate. This team needs a clean slate and certainly not more of the same unexperienced head coach crap we've seen over the past 6-7 years. If Rod wants a NHL head coaching job in the future let him start out at a lower level and work his way up away from the Canes.

A big fat "HELL NO" to Rod as coach. I've seen enough over the last few years. It's time to move in another direction. Ron Francis part II, no thank you. " Can't fire him, he's Rod Brind"Amour". Hell no.

Dundon is driving a bus that's gone off the road and is now teetering over the guardrail. If enough people jump out the windows, the bus is going to tumble. I have my leg out the window already......

I think I'd prefer an experienced HC, but I'm warming to the idea of Brindy--particularly if they do as JB suggested and hire an experienced HC as an assistant.

Tippett would be fine with me. I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with Vellucci ... and I've now seen several reports that he's more interested in coaching than executive-ing (more below). The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure at all how I feel about Brind'Amour.

Nothing against Rod and I've seen plenty of decent and valid arguments for his candidacy. I cannot get past the fact that he's never been a head coach of any professional team on any level. I'm 100% convinced we need somebody with a complete understanding of the job in front of them. That might be Brindy ... I dunno. I don't like the risk. I'm NOT going to argue with anybody about it though. I'm just not sure. And I do 100% believe that if they hire Brind'Amour then he should be supported with an assistant with head coaching experience.

Last edited:

Separate post/separate topic ... I'm being told by friends in Charlotte that Vellucci wants to coach in the NHL before he's done. He's apparently going to push to get the Canes coaching job and if he fails he will most likely push to stay exactly where is right now rather than pursuing the GM job. If he ends up doing anything else, you can chalk it up to Dundon's sales skills. Or cash.

Watch out, Philly might take Rod if we don't.

My take is that Rod's teams, before they foolishly striped him of the C, were basically co-coached by him anyway. The canes could and have done much worse than RB as HC. But, first things first, hire a GM and let him make this decision.

Watch out, Philly might take Rod if we don't.

My take is that Rod's teams, before they foolishly striped him of the C, were basically co-coached by him anyway. The canes could and have done much worse than RB as HC. But, first things first, hire a GM and let him make this decision.

Yeah, but the same was true for Francis, and ...

That doesn't always make you a great coach and I'm a big believer in the process. Like being a head coach at a professional level first before jumping into the deep end.

And yes ... please lord hire a GM first. I get the sense that we're going to end up with a coach first simply because that's an easier hire to make. I hope I'm wrong.

Back