• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Peters resigns ... the coaching search thread

Re: Peters resigns, search for a new coach is on

Exactly. Rod has been there for years. He's as much to blame for the futility as Peters. How is he all of a sudden going to turn things around with his attitude? I think many people are still blinded by nostalgia.

Thr head coach runs the team. The assistants can make suggestions, but ultimately the head coach makes the decisions. An assistant who oversteps his bounds isn’t an assistant for very long. While not blameless, Brindy is not nearly as much to blame as Peters.

But I still don’t want him as head coach.

the idea of "fire everyone " sounds great but is not always the best idea . In the case of Vellucci he has had nothing to do with running the Canes until this season .
His coaching record in juniors is top notch. I would not be surprised to see him get an NHL job soon if he's not hired to coach the Canes.

the idea of "fire everyone " sounds great but is not always the best idea . In the case of Vellucci he has had nothing to do with running the Canes until this season .
His coaching record in juniors is top notch. I would not be surprised to see him get an NHL job soon if he's not hired to coach the Canes.

Vellucci may have a fine resume in Juniors and his ONE year of AHL coaching, but this guy should be nowhere near a head coaching gig with the Canes based on what this team needs right now. Give me an experienced NHL bench boss with this bunch of chronic under achievers, because let's be honest, 14 players are not going change this summer for the Canes, a few tweaks maybe, but the core bunch will all be back and they need big time direction and change from behind the bench.

Pros and Cons of Canes job as of right now, April 23rd:

Cons:
9 years of no playoffs/no winning culture
Small market / small crowds
No #1 goalie
Problems scoring goals
New owner is an unknown
No GM
Unsure of what the roster will be next season

Pros :
There is some good young talent
can't think of any others

Based on those factors I think it's more likely the Canes will end up with a younger guy unless Dundon really opens the checkbook and gives an experienced guy a big money, long term deal.

Well we'll see him once a year then for a bit. We went for the box... I can't complain about that.

Keep one thing in mind ... Carolina's job is one of only a small number of available NHL head coaching jobs. That means basically anyone who's never been that before wants the job at least a little bit as a default position, regardless of the issues. Now, can you talk an experienced coach into the gig? THAT takes money and a clearly articulated vision. Is that impossible? No, it's not but it would take more oomph than what we've seen from our owner thus far. I think that's why we're all assuming that we're going to get a coach with experience in the lower leagues or an assistant. We're not alone, as the entirely of the hockey media seems to assume the same thing.

Here's the thing ... not everything goes the way you assume it will. At this point, and given Carolina's large pile of unknowns, I'm just gonna see what happens and not get too worked up about rumors. From the actual reporting, we can safely assume that Vellucci and Brind'Amour both want the job, but we don't know anything else. So I'm not going to get too worked up about parsing them out like they're the only two possibilities.

We can plan now for our powerplay following an erroneous off-sides challenge.

I am not sure Bill Peters was given what he needed to succeed. the complaint most seem to have is his lack of in game adjustments and how Skinner was handled. And those are legitimate concerns. I do not think he really had what he needed. Eric Staal going elsewhere was as much about how stale he'd grown in this market and this culture. However, goaltending was never fixed-- Khudobin, Lack and Darling were the attempts that failed. The criticism that players were often passengers than all in is as much a team issue as anything else-- Rask, Faulk and Lindholm. Trades and acquisitions that went bust-- Darling, Lack, Kruger, Jooris and Stempniak. Rushing Hanifin into a starter's role. When Dundon says a lot was bad, he was right. I almost think Bill Peters became Jim Haslett, begging to be fired to be put out of his mercy, but not wanting to leave money on the table, finally agreed to exercise his out clause.

I'm absolutely certain that Bill Peters was never even given a balanced roster, much less given everything he needed to succeed. I'm also certain that he did very little to max out what he was given and that actual offense ... the kind that leads to goals being scored ... is something that weirdly seems secondary to the man. Carolina's failings over the past two seasons should be spread equally between the coach and the general manager. Both are gone ... both for good reason.

Add another unemployed GM to the mix. Chuck Fletcher was just whacked by the Wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His father Cliff was GM for 4 different teams. He's 82 and still working for Toronto as an adviser.

Cliff Fletcher is a virtual legend. Chuck, not so much. He tied up big money on Suter and Parise and it just never paid off the way they planned. Heck, that lower risk move to sign Staal was one of his highlights.

Personally, I’m up for new (experienced) blood. Let him teach Rod. I (and my wallet) can’t take another failed experiment.

First thing that needs to happen now is to trade Ryan to the Flames for Gaudreau and a first.

First thing that needs to happen now is to trade Ryan to the Flames for Gaudreau and a first.

Nah. He's going to "pencil" Gaudreau in on the third line. And by "pencil" I mean "staple."

Cliff Fletcher is a virtual legend. Chuck, not so much. He tied up big money on Suter and Parise and it just never paid off the way they planned. Heck, that lower risk move to sign Staal was one of his highlights.

Had the pleasure a few years ago of sitting next to Cliff 'The Legend' Fletcher at a spring training game down in Arizona where he spends his winters. Just a fantastic human being and one of the nicest men you will ever meet.

Had the pleasure a few years ago of sitting next to Cliff 'The Legend' Fletcher at a spring training game down in Arizona where he spends his winters. Just a fantastic human being and one of the nicest men you will ever meet.

Trader Cliff ... he was an actual legend. I sorta undersold the guy. He held court at Angus Barn during the All Star Game here and it was mind boggling the people he had sitting at his table.

I'm absolutely certain that Bill Peters was never even given a balanced roster, much less given everything he needed to succeed. I'm also certain that he did very little to max out what he was given and that actual offense ... the kind that leads to goals being scored ... is something that weirdly seems secondary to the man. Carolina's failings over the past two seasons should be spread equally between the coach and the general manager. Both are gone ... both for good reason.

This is what worries me about Brindy's statement. He talks about how the whole team has to be ON all night, every night, for this system to work. It sounds like he would be using the same system wild Bill brought to town. Problem is, we need a coach who may be able to use more than one type of system if not more of a defensive system. I am not sure this group would do any better next year then they did this year, using the exact same system.

Back