• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

I don't think "liking Tavares" is the outsider position, tbh.

It is when you go to great pains to paint the picture of him not being anything to write home about.

Matty, Tavares, Kadri down the middle can't not win Cups. It actually isn't possible.

You move heaven and earth to bring him home. 2 years, of course. 7 years, yes to that too, as long as the price is right.

It is when you go to great pains to paint the picture of him not being anything to write home about.

It wasn't painful at all. It took me 3 minutes on Corsica to see why he's not worth what someone is about to pay him. If we can snag him for a year or two while we have the cap flexibility though, I've got no qualms with it though I still prefer that the money be earmarked for RHD. As I pointed out in my post earlier today, Dubas will need to perform some pretty serious magic to do anything with the right side of the blueline if they pay Tavares.

Bring him home. Holy shit how exciting it'd be going into next season. This is another lethal weapon to add to the group for just money. When the cap space gets tight you move out the mid tier talent and fill it with cheaper players. Give me a near PPG center in his prime for the 2nd line over the likes of Hyman, Brown, Martin, Gardiner.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown

jeeeez. Having Tavares would be a big boost to our other lines as a team like Boston wouldn't be able to just stick Bergeron on Matthews and shut him down. Who would then stop Tavares? or Kadri on the 3rd f*cking line. The matchups would be hilarious. Kadri would immediately be the best 3rd line center in the league. Tavares would be the best 2nd line center in the league(ok fine Malkin).

Bring him home. Holy shit how exciting it'd be going into next season. This is another lethal weapon to add to the group for just money. When the cap space gets tight you move out the mid tier talent and fill it with cheaper players. Give me a near PPG center in his prime for the 2nd line over the likes of Hyman, Brown, Martin, Gardiner.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown

jeeeez. Having Tavares would be a big boost to our other lines as a team like Boston wouldn't be able to just stick Bergeron on Matthews and shut him down. Who would then stop Tavares? or Kadri on the 3rd f*cking line. The matchups would be hilarious. Kadri would immediately be the best 3rd line center in the league. Tavares would be the best 2nd line center in the league(ok fine Malkin).

I will be shocked if Tavares signs here, just don’t see it happening
Same here.

I do suspect he'll make it to the negotiating period and speak to a few teams out of curiosity, but in the end he'll be a typical hockey player and go back to the Isles.

Same here.

I do suspect he'll make it to the negotiating period and speak to a few teams out of curiosity, but in the end he'll be a typical hockey player and go back to the Isles.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Whether he makes it to free agency or not, I think he'll re-sign with the Isles.

Last edited:
I'm well aware that I'm the outlier here.

leafs nation at large would die to sign him, price be damned.

Win Cups, price be damned. Absolutely.

I’ll pay top dollar for a top player and absorb the risk that Tavares will suddenly suck in his early to mid 30s.

I do look forward to all the awesome positive spin stats if he puts ink to paper with us.

A big turnover in management might also make it easier for him to walk.

I'm not a big fan of signing this guy even short-term. His production rates, whether goals or assists per 60, are well down the league rankings (#64 and #117, respectively). I'd prefer to see some other team (partcularly a rival) open the vault for him.

Why sign anyone to big bucks with Babcock behind the bench? Guy will just **** it up anyways. Lets get Babcock off the books first. Before worrying about signings. I literally lost a lot of interest in the Leafs after watching this guy operate. He has to be the most overrated individual I have ever seen.

With the cap probably rising the next 6 or 7 years and a lockout probably happening in between. I doubt very much that it will be an albatrosss contract.
Also, the leafs just need to make sure that there is no non full movement clause in the contract.
I also think that by having matthews on the team, trying to shutdown all 3 lines would be next to impossible.
The only danger i can see from the leafs point of view if this move comes to fruition, would be having enough in the minors to move out the middling contracts mentioned earlier.
If this signing does happen, they have to make sure they move out gardiners contract and not lose him for nothing next off season. Cause that guy imho will not be worth 6.5 million or more.

A big turnover in management might also make it easier for him to walk.

I'm not a big fan of signing this guy even short-term. His production rates, whether goals or assists per 60, are well down the league rankings (#64 and #117, respectively). I'd prefer to see some other team (partcularly a rival) open the vault for him.

he's 27th in the league in points per minute, tied with marner, karlsson, getzlaf, kopitar, boeser and bergeron.

he's 27th in the league in points per minute, tied with marner, karlsson, getzlaf, kopitar, boeser and bergeron.

And that may have been with the opps top defensive unit trying to shut him down.
With matthews and kadri lines out there, it will open up alot more room for each of the lines

Back