• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

yeah, it's pretty incredible how behind the curve the NHL was compared to other leagues when it came to specialized training.

I called out all that dinosaur shit out, got the usual amount of vitriol for doing it. I called out Schenn for having no calves, no skating, and that they were killing Kadri.

Thank god we have a Dubas now, a Shanahan, Babcock still scares me a lot though, seems semi Burke to me. Just old school goof.

Yzerman still, seems miles ahead of anyone else to me. Way way way beyond Babcock, hope Shanahan can keep up to him.

Lamierello??? Trading for Martin and signing Komarov... Lets see.. Is old school still something? I don't think so.

Babs still getting hate eh

Kadri has put it together since Babs was hired and Marner said his season last year turned around when he started putting his "work before his skill" as Babs instructed his players. The dude is a great coach.

Great coach , you could argue over his ice time useage for his Bff’s but he knows how to push his players .

He was the perfect disciplinarian for Naz and others when the country club atmosphere was over and accountability took over .

Jeez every coach should have the ability to push players. There are only 31 jobs available. Surely all 31 have mastered the art of pushing their players.

Babcocks lines suck. He totally overplayed Hainsey and Andersen unnecessarily and had the team playing defensively in the third period, with a lousy one goal lead.

I will never be a complete fan and I really don't think Dubas will be either. But Shanahan would be totally embarassed and tarnished if he was let go, so we will probably have to put up with this guy for a long, long time.

Jeez every coach should have the ability to push players. There are only 31 jobs available. Surely all 31 have mastered the art of pushing their players.

You would think, but in practice this clearly isn't the case. Babcock has proven himself to be a pretty elite molder of men over his career. Just listen to the differences between him and Randy in that 24/7 video from the winter classic when Babcock was still with the wings. Babcock was communicating with his group on a pretty elite level, Randy was yelling "FEED THE CHICKENS". Randy still has a job in the NHL.

Babcocks lines suck. He totally overplayed Hainsey and Andersen unnecessarily and had the team playing defensively in the third period, with a lousy one goal lead.

I will never be a complete fan and I really don't think Dubas will be either. But Shanahan would be totally embarassed and tarnished if he was let go, so we will probably have to put up with this guy for a long, long time.

Hey, I've taken my digs at Babcock over the last couple of years for some of his usage decisions, but look around the league man. There aren't (m)any coaches in his league.

I seem to recall Carlyle being in the "pros motivate themselves" camp when it comes to motivation.

The one thing I just don't understand about the Cock is why he'll horribly overplay guys like Hainsey and Andersen, and yet give studs like Matthews/Marner so little TOI next to their peers.

not like babs does.

He worked Andy like almost no other goalie in the league.

36yr old Ron Hainsey faced the toughest competition in all of hockey last year at even strength, and played far more PK minutes than any other dman in the league.

Yet the leafs were the only team without even one forward to crack 18:30 in ice time. Matthews wasn't even close at 18:08. Next highest was Hyman at 17:21. this despite elite forward talent being the leafs biggest strength, while Andy and Ron were obviously not that. JVR led all leafs in PPtoi...yet ranked only 132nd in the league. they were also one of only a handful of teams to have no dman crack 23mpg.

I could understand it if Andersen were an elite goalie or if Hainsey were some kind of defensive stalwart. neither is the case.

and while I agree on it being a problem no forward cracked 18:30, on defence the talent is much thinner and I'd argue we don't have anybody worthy of playing 23 minutes. I agree with Babs there, just wish it had applied to the PK. Hainsey was basically done even before the postseason.

and I'd argue we don't have anybody worthy of playing 23 minutes.

Morgan Rielly.

If Cody Ceci, Matt Dumba, Jeff Petry, Ekblad, Provorov, Edler, Yandle, Spurgeon, Fowler, Giordano, Ristolainen, Scandella, Goligoski, & Orlov can all play 23+, Rielly can play 23+

Rielly was 62nd in minutes played last year. There aren't 61 defenders in the NHL better than Morgan Rielly. Way closer to 11 than 61.

I could understand it if Andersen were an elite goalie or if Hainsey were some kind of defensive stalwart. neither is the case.

and while I agree on it being a problem no forward cracked 18:30, on defence the talent is much thinner and I'd argue we I agree with Babs there, just wish it had applied to the PK. Hainsey was basically done even before the postseason.

that's becuz ur dum.

Babs always talked about saving his players for the playoff, trying to keep them fresh.

With the depth he had on F, he had the luxury to do that. He obviously didn't feel he had the depth on D to do the same. He played Hainsey a lot in the first half cause Hainsey was a vet who was delivering, but at some point Hainsey started breaking down.

As for Andersen, to be fair, for most of the season he was pretty elite. I see no point in keep playing him in the last 15 games when our playoff position was pretty much fixed, but there's good reason for Babs to played him like an elite goalie.

Morgan Rielly.

If Cody Ceci, Matt Dumba, Jeff Petry, Ekblad, Provorov, Edler, Yandle, Spurgeon, Fowler, Giordano, Ristolainen, Scandella, Goligoski, & Orlov can all play 23+, Rielly can play 23+

that's a mixed bag of names there with a number of different contexts...but it's not really if he can that I'm wondering. of course he can.

Rielly was 62nd in minutes played last year. There aren't 61 defenders in the NHL better than Morgan Rielly. Way closer to 11 than 61.

I'd like to see him play another year at the level he was at last season before I decide where he ranks. if that's who he is going forward, then he should be playing more than 21:30 this season.

but really, I was thinking more of our other 3 22 minute defencemen, none of whom should be playing that much.

I think our easiest and best bang for the buck improvement is to ensure we have a very good 3rd pairing next season. if we can't bolster the top 2, then at least making sure we have a 5/6 unit that can soak up more minutes would pay off in a number of a ways. Polak out is a great start. giving Dermott another 2 or more minutes would be another good step.

Babs always talked about saving his players for the playoff, trying to keep them fresh.

With the depth he had on F, he had the luxury to do that.

Fair enough, but I don't think it's unreasonable to question that approach given that the two teams that beat us in the division (and one of which we lost to in game 7 on their home ice....do we lose that one if we're at home?) did the exact opposite and played the **** out of their studs.

He obviously didn't feel he had the depth on D to do the same. He played Hainsey a lot in the first half cause Hainsey was a vet who was delivering, but at some point Hainsey started breaking down.

and despite Hainsey breaking down, very visibly, he didn't alter course, try something new, etc. Just ran with his old idea that clearly wasn't working in the 2nd half.

As for Andersen, to be fair, for most of the season he was pretty elite. I see no point in keep playing him in the last 15 games when our playoff position was pretty much fixed, but there's good reason for Babs to played him like an elite goalie.

Well, other than the point that playing him like an elite goalie clearly wore him down at the end of the season and into the playoffs. That's kind of all we need to see for us to realize that it was a bad idea. He fell apart at the end of the year.

From March 1 until the end of the playoffs, Freddy played 19 games and was a .895.

Back