• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

Not interested in investing in a broken down Jumbo

Not much use to us if he can only play half of the time

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

He kinda passionately restated his intent to stay in SJ a couple of weeks ago, didn’t he?
Yep.

I'd expect him to take a discounted deal to stay in San Jose before I'd expect him to take a 1 year/$10M deal in Toronto.

And fair enough. San Jose's been his home for 13 years now, and his wife and young kids have never known any home in North America besides San Jose.

He's made his money, and perhaps he's made his peace with either winning a Cup in San Jose or not doing it at all.

I really have no interest in Jumbo Joe given his injury history and I am pretty sure he has no interest in Toronto either.

Given it's Dubas at the helm now, I wonder if he'd have much interest in Stastny as well, considering his age, his role, and his price after the wonderful playoff run he's had. I feel Stastny is kinda a richman's Bozak, where he produces offensively when given a niche role and sheltered minutes, in which case I'd rather just pay less for Bozak.

Personally, I think Dubas will be interested in Tavares, but no other big name C in the UFA market.

I really have no interest in Jumbo Joe given his injury history and I am pretty sure he has no interest in Toronto either.

Given it's Dubas at the helm now, I wonder if he'd have much interest in Stastny as well, considering his age, his role, and his price after the wonderful playoff run he's had. I feel Stastny is kinda a richman's Bozak, where he produces offensively when given a niche role and sheltered minutes, in which case I'd rather just pay less for Bozak.

Personally, I think Dubas will be interested in Tavares, but no other big name C in the UFA market.
That's not exactly true.

The Athletic had a couple of good pieces on potential center options for the Leafs this summer, and the breakdown they did on Statsny seemed to indicate that Stastny is actually an anti-Bozak in a lot of ways. Their offensive production is similar, but while Bozak does it in extremely sheltered minutes, Stastny has been doing it playing hard minutes against very tough competition. The numbers also seem to show that Stastny line has been getting dragged down pretty seriously by a declining Alex Steen.

Dubas didn't become the GM to sign 2nd/3rd tier guys like Stasny to big dollars. He became the GM so he can find an effective Bozak replacement on the cheap so we can go after the big fish. I think we'll have a surprise signings or two (or trades). One's in which we'll wonder whether they'll actually improve the team or not, and wait for Zeke to show how us #'s that support Dubas' moves.

Can't forget that we have $30 million in cap space this offseason that they absolutely should spend on good players with one year commitments. We don't need bargains this year. We can afford the best players money can buy.

But it has to be 1 year deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't forget that we have $30 million in cap space this offseason that they absolutely should spend on good players with one year commitments. We don't need bargains this year. We can afford the best players money can buy.

+30

I'm thinking the chance of landing a really good player on a one-year bloat deal is pretty slim.

The more realistic way of using those many cap dollars is probably to take on an expiring bloated contract to acquire a nice asset.

I'm thinking the chance of landing a really good player on a one-year bloat deal is pretty slim.
It's a strategy worth trying. Maybe if you find the right player willing to bet on themselves, it'll pay off. But I do agree it's probably unlikely.

The more realistic way of using those many cap dollars is probably to take on an expiring bloated contract to acquire a nice asset.
Yep.

Something similar to Carolina taking on the one year @ $4M left on Bryan Bickell's contract in exchange for the Hawks couging up Teuvo Teravianen is exactly the kind of thing we should be looking at. Just have to find the right fit, where you've got a contender who's desperate for cap space, and they have an overpaid player on an expiring contract they'd like to get rid of.

Though after having a quick look on cap friendly, these are the only two such players I could come up with:

Pittsburgh: Carl Hagelin, 1 year @ $4M
Washington: Brooks Orpik, 1 year @ $5.5M

I suspect there are going to be a handfull of teams trying to shed money to get in on Tavares or Carlson, and i think you can land a pretty nice asset for agreeing to help them out, i also suspect said salary dump might actually be a playable piece as well.

Spezza is an interesting one, but i suspect Babcock might want to murder him.

It's a strategy worth trying. Maybe if you find the right player willing to bet on themselves, it'll pay off. But I do agree it's probably unlikely.

Yep.

Something similar to Carolina taking on the one year @ $4M left on Bryan Bickell's contract in exchange for the Hawks couging up Teuvo Teravianen is exactly the kind of thing we should be looking at. Just have to find the right fit, where you've got a contender who's desperate for cap space, and they have an overpaid player on an expiring contract they'd like to get rid of.

Though after having a quick look on cap friendly, these are the only two such players I could come up with:

Pittsburgh: Carl Hagelin, 1 year @ $4M
Washington: Brooks Orpik, 1 year @ $5.5M

Yeah, I did a (very) quick scan before posting that and said, ah, the Leafs have guys to find 'em. It's still early. At least a few NHL GMs will paint themselves into a corner by August.

BL I agree that it is more likely that we utilize our cap space by taking on a bad contract. Interested to see what Dubas lands on. Most players do not turn down term.

Screams of a kovalchuk offer

I think the Leafs are the last team in the league that brings in someone like Kovy on a mercenary deal.

Maybe, maybe, they'd entertain that with Tavares, as an incentive to stay long term - i.e., here's a huge one year deal, and then next year you resign for $8M or $9M long term.

Other than that, I don't see it happening. Because the team is all about having the players grow and gel together.

Take it for what it's worth, Eric Staal is a local boy - and word is, his Minnesota deal was signed as his retirement deal. Minn/St. Paul is 6 hours from his home/wife/kids. When the contract is done, he plans to move home and raise his family.

As for Thornton, much like Jagr, I see him as a good powerplay option - but I don't see how he could keep up with the speed of our game.

TSN:

Lou Lamoriello appears primed to return to the Tri-State Area.

The Athletic's Arthur Staple reports that there is a deal in place for the former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager to take over the hockey operations of the New York Islanders.

An exact job title for the 75-year-old Lamoriello and an official announcement is expected in the coming days. There had been talk of Lamoriello joining the organization for weeks.

Back