• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

How is he replaceable though? There is literally no free agent option, and I don't see the few teams with an equal or better starter trading those guys.
Yeah, this is the problem. I mean, I do think it's accurate to describe Freddie as a "middle-of-the-pack" goalie in the regular season. I also think it's accurate to say that, over the past two years, he's probably been the worst playoff starting goalie in the league, aside from maybe Sergei Bobrovsky.

But you'd better have a credible upgrade in hand before you dump him. Just think back to the entire freaking decade where we would've killed to have a league-average starting goalie.

Picked this up from Dobber's site: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q-Pnzfvmo_1hDlWu7WqJHVyTZqy15386jVESKSOf0V4/edit#gid=0

Spreadsheet predicting UFA/RFA contracts this offseason - if you're interested in his formula, here's his twitter feed: https://twitter.com/Cane_Matt/status/998562332711247872

From a Leafs perspective:

William Nylander: $7.0mil/5yrs

JvR: $5.4/3yrs

Tyler Bozak: $4.4/3yrs

Leo Komarov: $2.9/3yrs

This is pretty worthless if it predicts JVR is signing for $5m on a 3 year term.

This is pretty worthless if it predicts JVR is signing for $5m on a 3 year term.

Guy is on crack....

The teams left are getting some serious goaltending. Is that a coincidence?

Reimer stands on his head and shits his pants in game seven, we lose.

Freddy gets standing ovations from the ACC, not just once and gets fellated on air by Don Cherry, but chokes game seven. We lose.

I dunno, I still swear I can hear Ballard chortling from Hell a lot of the time when it comes to this team.

Now our team is being led by a guy who looks like he should be playing the lead in Silicon Valley.

Last edited:
I just met my guy, he said, so far, Dubas, is as quiet as Lou. All he said was, is that Shanahan was and IS, the BOSS. And Shanny still believes in gudpro Mike. So, there it is, not much, but what it is.

Bourne and Mirtle have written articles on Athletic, and basically said Toronto is NOT really going to miss Lou and Hunter dearly.

in Lou they have lost his connection with the other GMs and his pull on the league. However, the thinking is part of grooming Dubas, he would have helped Dubas make those connections already. Also, getting an experienced NHL vet / exec (like Ron Francis) as Dubas's assistant will also help bridge that gap for Dubas.

In Hunter, they have lost his scouting, especially in CHL. But let's not forget Dubas came through the ranks as a scout himself, and did some excellent scouting work for the Soo back in the days. Insiders have indicated Dubas has been more active than usual in scouting the past 3 months, probably in preparation for the upcoming draft and knowing the possibility of Hunter leaving. In time (probably short time too) Dubas will build his own scouting department again ... and knowing his roots in CHL it probably won't take that long either.

There's also common belief that Babs may not get along with Dubas as well as he did with the much older Lou and Hunter. To this, Babs himself was interview and simply said "When I was hired, they (Shanny) already hired Dubas, right? And I accepted the job knowing that, right? And they did not hire Lou until after my hiring, right? So what's your question again?" ... Babs has been around a long time, but he isn't an old school coach who doesn't want to be open to new things. To the contrary, Babs is more in touch with the new thinking and advanced stats than any coach (according to Dubas, he reads even more advanced stats reports than an average analytic or Dubas himself). I don't see a problem with the Dubas - Babs working relationship.

And at the end of the day, this is Dubas's team, but Shanny is the big boss and everyone ultimately reports to him. I don't see a problem at all.

I actually really want a GM that will curb Babs' worst impulses. Babs is a great coach but he needs some reigning in sometimes.

Babs has literally spent the offseason so far flying around the world meeting up with his players and their parents. Seems crazy to me that people think of Babs as this old school grump who doesn't get along with anyone.

Shanahan made a good point in his PTS interview...when this front office was formed, all the media would talk about was too many cooks in the kitchen and how would the egos work together and blah blah. Now all that is forgotten and instead we're hearing about all the critical experience we're losing.

Really enjoyed how he touched on watching what arguments people were making of the direction the team should go in for the past few years and ultimately he made his choice for GM based of this.

5933b024fbafe9e2324827fe83e26b08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Speaking of scouting

Keaton Middleton will not get an ELC and will go back into the draft.

Let's go back to the 2015 drafting style and go for high upside and value.

Really enjoyed how he touched on watching what arguments people were making of the direction the team should go in for the past few years and ultimately he made his choice for GM based of this.

5933b024fbafe9e2324827fe83e26b08.jpg

Basically Dubas has been blowing Shanny's doors off since day 1. Lou and Hunts were a stop gap because you can't make a 28 year old with only OHL experience the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Really intrigued on how the GM/player dynamic will improve

With Lou being older than dirt and intimidating as **** there may have been times where there was a disconnect between the kids and management. Dubas being closer to this generation may be able to close that gap a little and possibly have them feel more comfortable

I really like Shanny's take on it all so far. He's been the one behind closed doors who has probably seen Dubas argue against certain mistakes we've made (Matt Martin?) while at the same time he's seen the ideas that Dubas has promoted that weren't adopted (Yanni Gourde?) that would have worked.

That Shanny was 1) able to fill the organization with excellent veteran professionals like Lou and Hunter 2) Privy to all the discussions within the leadership group for 3 years & 3) Willing to make this decision as he did, fills me with all sorts of warm and fuzzy thoughts and feelings about it.

He's not doing this on a whim, he's doing this because he's been carefully watching behind the curtain and the guy he was most afraid to lose was the 32 yr old wunderkid.

Speaking of scouting

Keaton Middleton will not get an ELC and will go back into the draft.

Let's go back to the 2015 drafting style and go for high upside and value.
Keaton Middleton is kind of the poster boy for where I think Hunter's drafting has gone awry the past couple of years.

Honestly, from pretty much the moment we drafted him, it was really tough to see where the upside was with Middleton. He just seemed like a classic, old-school Brian Burke pick. A 6'5", 230lb, mean, truculent defenseman with zero puck skills who, in an optimistic best case scenario, was going to top out as a limited depth defenseman at the NHL level.

I just don't see the point in burning picks on players like that, even if it's in the later rounds.

Back