• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

Nice. Bozie was a class act, and is a hell of a story for what he's been able to do in this league as a late bloomer. A very good player during some really dark days for this org. I'll never forget his first goal.
Yeah, I've got no shade to throw at Bozak on his way out the door.

He was often maligned for what he wasn't, but the bottom line is that he he was a 15-20 goal, 45-50 point center for us for nine years and almost 600 games, after initially choosing to come to Toronto as an undrafted free agent when just about every other team in the league was trying to sign him.

That he was generally miscast as a top-line guy until the last couple of years is on the Leaf managers that came before Shanahan/Lamoriello/Dubas. And by all reports, he fully bought in to getting to work on & off the ice and being part of the turn-around here.

Best of luck to him in St-Louis. I hope he fires off a few more 40-50 point years out there, and gets himself one more pay-day before hanging them up.

That's a really nice piece of writing by Bozak. Hated him on the top line but never as a person. Babs finally played him in the appropriate role and he did well there. Kudos to him on landing a nice deal with a decent team.

Class act. We knew he would simply garner too much interest to be able to keep him. He was always professional and a great Leaf representative.

So a question: how improved are we in replacing JVR with Tavares?

I think the best way to think about this is that we're replacing Bozak with Tavares and JVR with Johnsson.

JT is obviously a pretty significant upgrade over Bozak at just about everything a centre does. We are going to lose a bit of offence going from JVR to Johnsson, but I think Johnsson is so much better at creating chances, and so much better defensively/away from the puck/with the puck everywhere other than 10 feet from the net that I think this is closer to a wash than most people would think.

Overall we're better this year, and much harder to play against. The two top lines are going to be a nightmare to matchup against, and the 3rd line of Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen is nasty as a 3rd line, a pretty huge step up from the JVR-Bozak-Brown line we used for a lot of the 2nd half. Faster, harder to play against, and pretty close to as good offensively.

Yeah, I've got no shade to throw at Bozak on his way out the door.

He was often maligned for what he wasn't, but the bottom line is that he he was a 15-20 goal, 45-50 point center for us for nine years and almost 600 games, after initially choosing to come to Toronto as an undrafted free agent when just about every other team in the league was trying to sign him.

That he was generally miscast as a top-line guy until the last couple of years is on the Leaf managers that came before Shanahan/Lamoriello/Dubas. And by all reports, he fully bought in to getting to work on & off the ice and being part of the turn-around here.

Best of luck to him in St-Louis. I hope he fires off a few more 40-50 point years out there, and gets himself one more pay-day before hanging them up.

solid player .....your lucky you hit on the 2/10 shot that these guys give you entering the league

He followed the cash register for his future ....nice move

Thanks ME. I rephrased my question a minute after posting it. I don't think Babs will drop Brown to the 4th line for the year but that's a great third line.

Awesome to see the salary evaporate, but that’s not exactly getting something decent in return like we were led to believe.

Also Lou is taking it from behind over there. Tavares out, Leo and Martin in? Yikes.

Awesome.

Some sort of draft pick would have been nice, but that's just getting greedy I suppose. Clearing the cap space is nice enough.

As for Eamon McAdam, he's a 23 year-old goalie who spent most of last year in the ECHL. So he's likely headed for Toronto's ECHL affiliate.

It's too early to call anyone a winner in an offseason trade, but...

John Tavares and Eamon McAdam ( actual person)
for
Leo Komorov and Matt Martin

might give the edge to the Leafs.

This is the leanest, meanest, most fighting machinest Leafs squad I’ve ever seen.

Only two stains are the Horton contract just looking ugly but having no impact for two more years, and the Kessel retention.

No bad contracts, no cap issues, superstars littered throughout the organization. It’s just unreal.

Back