• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

For years we couldn't find a #1 centre and now we are a day away from potentially having 3 #1 centers with 2 potentially elite young wingers as well.

We could roll 3 lines that would be #1 lines on many teams. The 3 players we need to move by the following year to keep all of our core together: Martin, Marleau, brown/hyman

"What happens if/when Tavares reverts or declines? 66 points in 16/17. What happens if we spent that 11 million on a 60-65 point centre? Because there's a hell of an argument that if he gets Babcock type usage (17-18mpg), that's what he is. What are we contending for if the right side of our blueline remains a wasteland and we're no stronger up the middle than Matthews-Kadri-Nylander would have left us"

This is your best argument so far.
This is an excellent point but, we could say that about anyone.
When alot of people here were cheering on the Dubas hiring I made a comment that babcock will have more to do with his job than Dubas has to do with babcocks.
You said no, and I hope that your right and that Dubas and shanny have sat him down and told him to start letting these talents have more icetime. Stop it with the hyman and brown love ins.

And just to put on my prognostications hat, i think at 3 pm today, an announcment will happen that tavares will be staying with the islanders

If we miss out on tavares and go the route of taking on cap dumps for value (Mason, Ennis, Callahan etc) I'm good with that as long as we extract proper value.

1.anytime I dial into the numbers, though, there's plenty of names that surround his slot that aren't #1Cs
2.toews, Staal, vinny, spezza, etc were all true #1s too

If we miss out on tavares and go the route of taking on cap dumps for value (Mason, Ennis, Callahan etc) I'm good with that as long as we extract proper value.

I dont know ......
If the leafs miss out on the tavares train, I would be quite happy for them to get Gardiner outta town and bring in 2 dmen as replacements.
As you mentioned, use that money to garner in even more top picks, and stay the course.
The leafs might be hard pressed to make the playoffs this season but in all seriousness, they should.
See what is available at the trade deadline this season and just wait.
I am all for the tavares acquisition but failing that, just relax and stay the course.
If vegas can do what they did, with what the leafs have, they can do it too.

A poster made a point about babcocks tendancy to under utilize his assets and allow less talented options to get an insain amount of ice time.
Give marner and matthews and nylander their 23 minutes a game and grow from there

Oh and i still advocate going after Ristolainen of the sabres.
I personally think he would be great with reilly.

If you are right zeke ( and i hope you are) and they announce that the leafs are tavares choice, does anyone live near mindz? I am afraid he may go postal and beat up on pridham and Dubas and shanny.... lol we are going to have to talk him through this. Lol

On the Tavares front: were now at June 30th, I will be shocked if he waited this long to re-sign. Obviously I would love to have him here, if he doesn't sign with Toronto then hopefully he chooses San Jose or Dallas (out of conference) Best chance for him to win short term would be Tampa.

Goes without saying, but the Leafs do have a plan this off-season (with or without Tavares) and many expect Dubas to put his mark on this team

That could be it too, he could be waiting for Stevie Y to work out his cap maneuver to get the cap space to sign him.

Ya....but he could let everyone know he is signing with tampa but waits until sometime in the summer to sign with the lightening until tampa gets their house in order.

I really don't think Dubas cares about putting his mark on the team ... that isn't Dubas at all. He cares about winning the cup, and I think he'll continually look for ways to improve the team.

Let's not get lost the team has a very good young core with or without Tavares, Tavares will speed up and improve our chance for contending, but Dubas definitely has plan B and C's for improving the team if he signs elsewhere.

Ya....but he could let everyone know he is signing with tampa but waits until sometime in the summer to sign with the lightening until tampa gets their house in order.
nah that'd be too risky. Stevie Y needs to get his house in order before Jul 1, cause if I was Tavares, I'm not gonna tell everyone I'll sign with Tampa, so that TOR, SJ all spend their cap $$ elsewhere, then 2 weeks later finds out Stevie Y only has $8M cap space for me then I'm screwed.

All i know is that the next time i am growing goji berries and raising meat birds, that tavares better be on some site following how i am doing and what decisions i am making

If tavares doesnt sign with the leafs, When tavares and i both pass on in our times, and when we come back ( he as poison ivy and me as a birch tree) I am going to make sure i drop one of my branches right on his mellon!

Back