• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

If they didn't give JT the C on his arrival, they aren't giving it to him.

The worst kept secret in Leaf land is that they're waiting for Matthews to grow into the role. Let's be real, JT hasn't exactly had a stellar run as a captain. He's not the best player on the team and short of some significant character defect, the best player on the team usually ends up as the captain.

Shanny was not going to give the C to someone who just signed a 3 years contract and was 37 years old already that much is very clear.

We yeah it's clear now, but at the time nobody would have criticized the move. If the idea was to groom one of the kids for the C and letting the leader of the pack emerge, 3 years would have been an excellent time frame to push the long term decision off by.

But they didn't. Then we signed Tavares a year later and again management had an opportunity to make a decision that few would have criticized by naming JT captain. Again, they didn't.

Matthews is being groomed for the spot, it's pretty obvious at this point.

Its not about JT. I just think its clear they are saving it for Matthews. You have to assume they have a plan in place for the C, because they have a plan in place for literally everything else. It would be shocking if they didn't have the road map laid out. And they have been patient all along in carrying out their plans with the development of their young players. There is no reason why they couldn't have already named a captain. Marleau would have been a good pick. Rielly would have been a good pick. JT would have been a good pick. If it was up for grabs they could have used it as a sales pitch in the recruitment process. But they haven't done it. its not for no reason. They don't do anything for no reason.

Matthews is a generational player, with the perfect attitude and work ethic of a leader. He is the most important player in the organization. The first thing Babs did this offseason why fly to Arizona for a one-on-one. He already is the captain of this team. They just haven't given him the C yet.

They’re definitely not giving the C to Matty before he signs a relatively team friendly contract, that much is certain.

Especially if he's surprisingly not able to play that last season due to *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* injury, that might look very awkward to have that happen to the "captain" of the team.

I mean, overall, the official captain doesn't really matter. The guys in the room will figure out who it is or should be. Some guys might care about it, some might not. Maybe you wait until Matthews gets that 8 year extension inked before declaring him as the captain. Otherwise, there's a solid case that maybe you should call them co-captains, although I'm sure some people would be angry at not picking one.

Marleau is playing the full three years. There was no arrangement.

They are never giving the C to someone who hasn't played a game with the rest of the team yet ... I am not saying it's a slam dunk JT will be the next C, but I won't be one bit surprised if JT is named the C after his first season here, or at some point during this season.

That said, I also won't be surprised if they give it to Matthews.

Either case I'm fine with it, and either case I think captaincy is so overrated. Leaders will lead with or without a letter on his jersey

I think all of you guys are going to freak about how much of a beast Tavares is...... Babcock might keep his job with this guy on the squad.

Because Babcock otherwise is so outdated its crazy. ... Just so ready to get ousted.

Last edited:
I was able to work a leaf game into the trip to California when I proposed....never say never and all of that.

We are going to be so ****ing good with our 3 centres. The matchups with be a killer for teams.

They better be able to score lol.
Their first 8 games of the season are fairly winnable.
It is november, where it will be tough. If they can win 8 games that month, that would be good.

Back