• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

I knew that about Hanifin, but how did Dougie compare to Gio in that regard?

more or less identical

tord9.png

By the numbers I look at, Gio has a solid edge on Dougie in QoC (though dougie is very strong there), and Gio had a big effect on Brodie in previous years too.

I'm interested to see what Dougie does away from Gio.

then again, if he just moves to a pairing with another stud like Slavin, then I'm not sure there will be much difference.

Stop being cheap. Skip the beard oil for a month if you have to, that will cover a couple months of an Athletic subscription.

beard Oil > athletic

but, tbh, i'm waiting for these analytics guys to wake up to QoC before I even consider paying to read their stuff. i've been discouraged by many of their writers' dependance on the same stats they used 5yrs ago, so this is an encouraging article.

By the numbers I look at, Gio has a solid edge on Dougie in QoC (though dougie is very strong there), and Gio had a big effect on Brodie in previous years too.

I'm interested to see what Dougie does away from Gio.

then again, if he just moves to a pairing with another stud like Slavin, then I'm not sure there will be much difference.

Yeah, I don't see any huge difference. The likely big difference is going to be that Calgary is going to try to use Hanifin like they used Dougie. Dougie isn't seeing a downgrade in quality around him at all really, and the hard usage can be spread around a bit there. In Calgary, not so ****ing much.

beard Oil > athletic

Homeless is the new hipster, just embrace it.

but, tbh, i'm waiting for these analytics guys to wake up to QoC before I even consider paying to read their stuff. i've been discouraged by many of their writers' dependance on the same stats they used 5yrs ago, so this is an encouraging article.

The Athletic is 80-90% of what we've been complaining about wanting in hockey media reporting for decades now, get off your wallet.

SportsnetPR

We are pleased to announce today that we are welcoming John Bartlett back to the @Sportsnet team for the 2018-19 NHL season. @BartsBytes will be calling play-by-play for Leafs regional broadcasts and select national games.

I've never heard of this guy before---but it appears he was previously the regional broadcaster for the Habs for years on TSN.

So, we'll have this year's Leaf games on TV divvied up between a Vancouver Canucks homer, and a Montreal Canadiens homer.

Wonderful.

He doesn't have to be a Leafs homer, as long as he doesn't suck at broadcasting.

Cole was a Habs fan.

My problem with Hughson isn't so much that he is a Leafs hater as much as he is just painful to listen to and probably calls the least exciting game ever.

My problem is they're regional broadcasts just ****ing let homer Bowen call them. Everybody else gets homers for their regional games, god forbid our regional play-by-play guy got a little excited for the Leafs.

It warms my heart that half way into Rogers 12 year deal, they're still fumble****ing what should be the easiest touchdown in professional sports. They still haven't figured out how to broadcast Toronto games. As much as it sucks, I hope that they continue to do a piss poor job of attracting on air talent and making decisions that most thinking humans would consider a lay up, so that they don't get into a bidding war with Bell/TSN for the rights in 2025 and shit can go back to normal.

My problem is they're regional broadcasts just ****ing let homer Bowen call them. Everybody else gets homers for their regional games, god forbid our regional play-by-play guy got a little excited for the Leafs.
Yeah, this is what gets me. With the proliferation of online streaming, I've had the opportunity to listen to a lot of different broadcasts from around the league. And I'm pretty sure that literally every other broadcast I've ever heard has been called by guys who are clearly massive, Joe Bowen-esque homers for the home-team.

It's pretty much only Toronto that doesn't get that. Not only that, but we by and large we end up with the opposite for most of our games. The best we can hope for is Gord Miller/Ray Ferraro-type broadcast team, who obviously aren't Leaf fans in any way, but make a serious effort to be impartial.

It is not a bad hire, as I remember liking him as the voice of the Marlies (for 6 years). He knows the market, he knows how to do play-by-play for an Original 6 team. And he is from here. I don't know what you guys want? Joe Bowen? That ship has sailed.

"Bartlett has a wide range of radio and television broadcasting experience. A former junior “A” goaltender, Bartlett spent the past six years as the broadcaster for the Marlies, the Toronto Maple Leafs’ AHL affiliate. In 2007, Bartlett received the James H. Ellery Memorial Award in recognition of his outstanding media coverage of the American Hockey League. John has also been a regular host on Leafs TV, and has made regular appearances on TSN’s Off the Record with Michael Landsberg."

https://theahl.com/bartlett-named-habs-radio-voice

It is not a bad hire, as I remember liking him as the voice of the Marlies (for 6 years). He knows the market, he knows how to do play-by-play for an Original 6 team. And he is from here. I don't know what you guys want? Joe Bowen? That ship has sailed.

we want a competent play by play announcer that isn't an avowed fan of a rival team.

We want a non-habs fan, and preferably a leaf fan like Bowen. I feel like we were pretty clear about that.

The ship has sailed because these geniuses decided they needed to come in and change things. Going well so far. Strombo was a real treat.

As I remember, he was pretty Marlies centric/ Homer when he did their games. Sure, he was making a name for himself, but professional PbP guys "should" be homery when they are hired to do their home teams games.

The problem we have had with Sportsnet, is that got a semi retired PbP guy - who thought he was doing National games (and he was doing a lot of other teams games and National games as well). Plus their #1 broadcast team (who sucks! and they hate the Leafs) does their lead games (that are national, so they can't be homery :rolleyes(2): )

If they hired this Bartlett specifically for Leafs Regional games, then I would think he would be "smart" enough to do a home team broadcast. You don't leave your dream job to take a rivals job, if you aren't going to give it your all.

I had the same feeling with the Raps. Rod Black and Toronto's own John Saunders (RIP) did the PbP. Then Chuck was brought in - I liked him, because he was awesome on the Radio, and he knew to be a great Homer (even though he is from Chicago and his favourite team is/was the Bulls). Once Chuck left, I was worried.

Matt Devlin had big shoes to fill, since he was Charlottes PbP guy and did some National Games, but he has become pretty homery now ( I think it was expected).

I think that is going to be the same Bartlett. One can only hope.

this is him, right?

[video=youtube;j4fBTwsGBJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4fBTwsGBJ0[/video]

Back