• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

What has Nylander done for this team? Habsy Not all that much. This is a perfect Dubas stand.

Nylander is a soft spot for MLSE. Guy should be hung out to dry. He is Mike Gartner .70. Leave him out to dry and show the organization what is what.

We signed a guy who goes into the tough areas.... Nylander should be hung out to dry and he will be... That is my call.

Damn, Dubas shoulda traded him for Parayko.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to ya Teeds but

Kyle Dubas on wanting a long-term deal for William Nylander: “The whole time I’m here, until they kick me out one day, William is a part of the group”

It’s like overnight Teeds just suddenly gets possessed.

He was good with Nylander in the last game he saw him play, but now he’s the worst ever.

Hahahah. ya... But y'all know... This stand here with Nylander is important. Very important for new thug in charge, Dubas. I love how he is not panicking.

It’s like overnight Teeds just suddenly gets possessed.

He was good with Nylander in the last game he saw him play, but now he’s the worst ever.

Sometimes it happens yeah. I just wake up and go, what the **** did William Nylander do, to deserve holding out for 8 million dollars... Sorry about that bro. That doesn't shake your shit once in a while? Some talented kid, only getting 60 points, wanting 8 million dollars a year?

If it doesn't shake your vomit, you haven't suffered, like I have, for this franchise.

I love Dubas so far. I hope he smokes this kid. And I think he will.

Sometimes it happens yeah. I just wake up and go, what the **** did William Nylander do, to deserve holding out for 8 million dollars... Sorry about that bro. That doesn't shake your shit once in a while? Some talented kid, only getting 60 points, wanting 8 million dollars a year?

If it doesn't shake your vomit, you haven't suffered, like I have, for this franchise.

I love Dubas so far. I hope he smokes this kid. And I think he will.

Oh I've suffered. We've all suffered.

That's why when we draft and develop a young stud, and we want to sign him long term through some of his UFA years, and said stud wants to maximize his pay because who knows what the future holds, it's just business. It doesn't change the fact that he wants to be a Leaf and has hit 60 points twice in his first two full seasons. And Dubas clearly recognizes that and concurs, based on his quote today.

Can't be so fickle, letting contract negotiations sour you on a player, or whatever else was bothering you about Matthews that suddenly didn't anymore.

Hahahah. ya... But y'all know... This stand here with Nylander is important. Very important for new thug in charge, Dubas. I love how he is not panicking.

There:

494867431-william-nylander-does-his-fat-percentage-gettyimages.jpg

Also has abs

Yup, pig nose Matthews, over and over. Till a video of him dancing at a wedding emerged. That was the day everything changed.

willy's a tough sign because he started at 20 instead of 18.

hes' going to want to get PAID on an 8 year deal because it'll take him to age 30, meaning it could be his only BIG payday.

the leafs probably prefer to not sign him to a 4-6 year deal on account of ufa.

The supposed 8 mil ask wouldn't be out of the question on an 8 year deal. That's eating up 3 prime UFA years for him so he likely wants to be compensated for it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The supposed 8 mil ask wouldn't be out of the question on an 8 year deal. That's eating up 3 prime UFA years for him so he likely wants to be compensated for it.

ya, don't think it's unreasonable on an 8 year deal. thing is, though, he hasn't earned that salary and the leafs aren't in a position to waste cap dollars.

they're also going to have a big time cap crunch next summer.

he's one of the rare cases where a bridge deal makes some sense. 3/15-18 is reasonable for both sides, gives willy time to earn that bigger 8+ pay day and gets the leafs through the 19-20 crunch when they have to deal with AM+MM's new deals and another year of marleau. i actually don't think there's much risk to the leafs in that approach. the only wingers with 8+ cap hits, in order of hit, are kessel, voracek, perry, benn, ovy and kane.

so, basically (Walking backwards from that list) an art ross winner, the greatest goal scorer of all time, another art ross winner, a hart/richard winner, the overpaid voracek (But, still, a multiple-time ppg forward) and kessel (whose basically a step up from voracek and has produced at about an equal rate over the past 6 or so years).

kessel and voracek are probably pretty good comps for nylander's high end potential, and tehy're sitting at 8 and 8.25 cap hits. take into account inflationary pressure of signing a few years after those guys and willy's probably in the 8.5 range. which isn't much more than he's apparnetly asking for on an 8 year deal today. and if he ends up being as good as a kane or benn or ovy then by all means pay the man.

If the term drops down as short as three years, the cap hit's got to plummet as well.

One comparable you could look at is Kucherov. His three-year bridge deal was $4.7M over three years. As good as Nylander's been, Kucherov was on another level at that point, coming off back-to-back 30 goal/65+ point seasons.

There's a good, if overly wordy, article over on the Athletic about Nylander's contract situation. It makes a couple of good points. One is that holdouts get underpaid. The second is that comparables based on raw production (pts/g) point to him getting 7 to 9% of cap (6.3 to 7.2) on a six year. So, 8 seems like the upper limit on 8 years. That will likely get whittled as the days go by.

Kyle Dubas speaking to some Brock students here.
One student said #Leafs defence seems to be team's weakest point, then reeled off meager D stats from last season.
Dubas: "What's your program?"
Student: "Sports management"
Dubas: "Might want to consider journalism, brother" https://t.co/BXhYWbDkhV

e25db6d65af14e8585a752432934cb70.gif

There's a good, if overly wordy, article over on the Athletic about Nylander's contract situation. It makes a couple of good points. One is that holdouts get underpaid. The second is that comparables based on raw production (pts/g) point to him getting 7 to 9% of cap (6.3 to 7.2) on a six year. So, 8 seems like the upper limit on 8 years. That will likely get whittled as the days go by.

I don't think the Leafs can do 8 years...accepting the fact that his agent isn't taking 6...and if you can't do 8, there isn't a lot of sense in 6...you need a bridge deal. 3 years at 6, with the knowledge that, if you play like you think you can, the big payday is right around the corner, that'something you can sell.

In the meantime, you're playing for a team that plans on winning, with players that will only make you look good.

That works for the Leafs, and it should work for Willy. Bottom line is he is an RFA, and this is one time when the team holds the cards.

Back