• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

Babs seems to have slotted in Ennis on the top line to spur on Nylander... but he has said that Kapanen has come into camp flying. I'd love to see Kappy get the shot, because I think he would stick.

Might depend on the team.

If a really good team with maybe a bit of an aging core and some cap space was interested, why not offer sheet Nylander with an $8M deal and give up four 1sts that would be in the 25-30 range?

Because the Leafs just match. Anything between 8.1 & 10.1 million per is 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. I don't see anyone taking the risk that Nylander says yes to that. Remember that offer sheets are still really, really frowned upon around the front offices of the league. You're not throwing decorum out the window to overpay Nylander.

Matthews though.....

Thankfully Orr and Matthews made it clear Matthews wants to be here long-term and that a deal shouldn't be hard to be worked out.

Because the Leafs just match. Anything between 8.1 & 10.1 million per is 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. I don't see anyone taking the risk that Nylander says yes to that. Remember that offer sheets are still really, really frowned upon around the front offices of the league. You're not throwing decorum out the window to overpay Nylander.

Matthews though.....
Not exactly correct.

One little-known thing about how offer-sheets work under the current CBA is that the AAV, for the purposes of compensation, is calculated by dividing the total dollar value of the entire contract by whichever of these two numbers is smaller: five years, or the actual length of the contract.

So on a seven-year offer sheet, an AAV of $7.25M would be enough to warrant the Leafs receiving four first round picks in compensation.

On a six year deal, anything above $8.46M would also net the Leafs four first round picks.

So really, a team that's signing Nylander to an offer sheet that wants to have a realistic chance of actually landing him without having to cough up four first round picks in exchange for him is limited to offering a deal of five years or less, at between $8.1 & $10.14M per season.

Now, of course, if you just want to screw over the Leafs by signing Nylander to a contract that's team-unfriendly, but that the Leafs are still likely to match, the CBA provides plenty of ways to do that. Probably the worst thing an opposing team could do is sign Nylander to a four-year extension at an $8M AAV. Then you'd get the double-whammy of Nylander getting to UFA at the earliest possible age, with the Leafs still having to pay a premium on his salary. And since the compensation if they didn't match would just be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd, there's no way the Leafs wouldn't match. But thus far in the NHL's history, GM's have shown little appetite for that kind of predatory approach.

Last edited:
how about good ol Lou?
Lou doesn't have his own 2nd & 3rd round picks this year.

So if he wanted to offer-sheet Willy, he'd either have to go out and reacquire them from the teams that own them, or he'd have to sign Nylander to an offer sheet that'd pay us four first round picks.

And man...as much as I love Nylander and think he's a big part of our window of contention...if four unprotected New York Islanders first round picks were on the table for him, I'd pay for his plane ticket to New York myself.

Not trading JVR and Bozak and Komarov at the deadline was just pure asinine. Its far too late for me to say this, but I was as happy as anyone else when we signed JT.

This team, because of Lou's incompetence and the bumbling of Boobcock, MIGHT not make the playoffs this year. Shanahan's world is crumbling, he needs a Kaberle to emerge out of the rubble, to get out of this.

My favourite player from the 1967 Cup winning team, thinks Boobcock, is the worst coach he has seen in Toronto, since InsaneLach(Imlach) and he was the Nylander equivalent on that team

He got traded from that team and won a Stanley Cup with his next team, let's see if you googlers can figure out who he is. He told me, that Nylander and his father were going to have their fun with Boobcock.

And since Nylander is so popular with most of the guys on the team, this tells me that Boobcock is despised by many guys on the team. Many.

Shanahan, get Sheldon Keefe ready, or this era is over, before it even started.

Another huge, call, from the guy who called out this dilemma and the schitt of schenn and got a ton of SCHITT for it.

Last edited:
Not trading JVR and Bozak and Komarov at the deadline was just pure asinine. Its far too late for me to say this, but I was as happy as anyone else when we signed JT.

This team, because of Lou's incompetence and the bumbling of Boobcock, MIGHT not make the playoffs this year. Shanahan's world is crumbling, he needs a Kaberle to emerge out of the rubble, to get out of this.

My favourite player from the 1967 Cup winning team, thinks Boobcock, is the worst coach he has seen in Toronto, since InsaneLach(Imlach) and he was the Nylander equivalent on that team

He got traded from that team and won a Stanley Cup with his next team, let's see if you googlers can figure out who he is. He told me, that Nylander and his father were going to have their fun with Boobcock.

And since Nylander is so popular with most of the guys on the team, this tells me that Boobcock is despised by many guys on the team. Many.

Another huge, call, from the guy who called out this dilemma and the schitt of schenn and got a ton of SCHITT for it.

Cmon , how could you move JVR and Bozak at the deadline last year when your chances were legit to win the division .

B level prospects and a low first wasnt going to help you at all .

No one was giving you legit help or an equal replacement in return .

Moving them was fine if your team was going nowhere , which wasnt the case .

Its no different than Jake this year . We can bitch about his defensive flaws but until you get a legit top 4 replacement he isnt going anywhere.

Dubas will have no issue showing him the door if required at season`s end.

There is just no chance of this.

Back