• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

I dunno, but this new guy is just pure awful. Sub Hughson. And that is tough to achieve. We add one of the grittiest players to ever play in the NHL, and we get a play by play guy that is worse than Jim Hughson. This has to be a joke right? Its not real?
Who are you referring to as "one of the grittiest players to ever play in the NHL?"

Danny gallivan
Dan kelly
Foster hewitt cause i was there and listened to him for many years.
Then bob cole.

Listen to their iconic calls, and then listen to a Bob Cole iconic call. They're just not the same thing. Cole's voice is the best in the history of hockey announcing and there isn't a close second. The whole list is legendary, but Bob Cole's voice puts him on another level.

Iconic Danny Gallivan goal call

[video=youtube;LJwZqimnuzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwZqimnuzM[/video]

No, no and no. Its all about the pitch and harmonic. We are now subjected to monodrones. The Edith Piaf's of pitch and passion.

I always support you when I can LOF, but this is a no, no no.

Listen to this voice, I mean come on Rogers. Come on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZHcnsdp8kg

This is the only guy I would say was better Joe Bowen. But Bowen is damn close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc7eAo5SoyM

Watch that clip, the second one, and listen to the American guy commentating, SEE/HEAR the difference? Night and day. Great and second one, drab.

We have Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly and we have freaking donkeys calling the play by play.

Unfukin real what we are being subjected to. When a huge talent is right there on the radio. Unreal.

Voices like Bowen, Bob Cole, both Hewitts should have sold their souls to Disney, they would have made a fortune.

I wanted to be the commentator for the Leafs but I listened to my voice and realized I didn't have it, millions don't.

I don't know who this guy is, but he is pretty darn good as well. Historic Bobby Hull goal number 51 watch from the 5:00 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc7eAo5SoyM

Last edited:
I think part of it is that we grew up on him. It was basically the only voice we knew for 20 years.

It's always part of it...Jerry Howarth may not have the "nicest" voice...none of those deep tones a al Shulman, but some of why we love him is he was part of our lives for so long.

Familiarity can breed contempt though, Cole had something and I'm sure some of it is being a student of Foster Hewitt.

We have talent like we haven't had since the sixties and we bring in a fired AHL hack? Thanks god, the smartest guys on this board agree with me. On this subject at least.

Its just unreal, what we have to listen to, sign me up for the 99 dollar software that links me up to Joe Bowen for Leaf games. SOMEONE create a Joe Bowen business out of this, I will be the first to buy. Promise.

I want a Hewitt, Gallivan, Cole, Bowen experience as I watch Marner bewitch the NHl for the next five years. Not an old AHl discard.

Joe Bowen is top ten of all time for sure. Sign me up...... Tavares deserves this, so do the big three. So does Rielly.

Jim Hughson? Why? Why? And this new guy is worse... Something is wrong in dodge.

This pisses me off ten times more than the adulation for Luke Schenn. Way more. I actually like Schenn now.

Last edited:
Bowen is the best of the best for a Leafs fan. Nothing like him and his passion. I’d pay extra for games if he called them.

I still remember when he’d call the weekday games on Global tv. Parents would be watching something on the main tv, and I’d watch on a tiny screen upstairs on my own. He gets me out of my seat.

I am not a huge bowen fan.
I prefer him over hughson and almost anyone else now, except cole.
I find him a bit condescending to his audience. But that is just me.
Bob cole is without a doubt the best play by play guy alive for leaf hockey imho.
Maybe it is time to have a woman play by play broadcaster.

Jim Hughson? Why? Why? And this new guy is worse... Something is wrong in dodge.
You are absolutely right, although I think simpson has alot to do with it .... Craig simpson is horrid putrid sickening absolutely horrible.
His sister must be saving his job. She does pretty good interviews

Last edited:
mjv9gl99moa11.jpg

Back