• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

Nielsen is probably expendable with the additions of Liljegren, Lindgren, Ozighanov, Borgman, Rosen, Subban, Loverde to the organization over the last year. especially considering he doesn't play a Dubas style game. I can't see him playing much for the Marlies this year. Then you factor in Sandin, Raasanen, and maybe Durzi, Gordeev who won't be far behind.

It's weird that the Leafs/Ducks make so many deals even though there have been multiple GMs on our end.

yeah, Brown/Nielsen/2nd is just a bit of fun. the standard package in any trade for another team's impact players.

Just found out someone I know well has a best friend who is supposedly close to Dubas.....I haven't asked him anything much as of yet. But he did say that all three of the big three have essentially agreed to terms. I will believe that when I see it.

There's videos and charts and all sorts of extra stuff in here that the article just doesn't make sense without. Get off of your wallet homo.

Yeah, but basically Babs, and other good coaches (Cooper, Trotz, Peters, DeBoer, Laviolette) use their top D early in shifts against other teams top lines when they are fresh and more likely to be dangerous, while they are willing to throw out their 2nd/3rd pairs against other teams top lines, but only late in shifts where they are more likely to have success.

Tord3.png

Tord5.png

tord7.png

tord9.png

Not sure that this actually says anything, and isn't just a product of utilizing strict matchups itself. E.g. if you only use Rielly/Hainsey against top pairs, they will mostly play early in shifts against the top line and late in shifts against a bottom line before the top line comes out. Inversely if you shelter your bottom pair they will spend most of thier time against fresh bottom lines, and tired top lines. And the impact on the second pair is neutral.

Last edited:
so TOIqoc may even underrate Mo's QoC. amazing.

though maybe that's already why he ranks so high in that stat, because he's rarely on when the other team shifts a lesser line onto the ice.

Here's some core takeaways from the article:

- Babcock is shelting the bottom pairing defenders more than even the basic advanced numbers suggest. He's doing it by ensuring that his bottom pairing guys are getting their ice against top 6 forwards late in those top 6 forward shifts.

- Gardiner-Zaitsev are mostly neutral in this regard, but still get some sheltering from 1st line competition through the same mechanism

- Rielly/Hainsey face truly ridiculous usage. Harder than even QoC suggests. Babcock appears to be putting them on the ice against fresh top lines at almost every opportunity.

- Dougie Hamilton is a true pimp. Hanifin really isn't and Calgary is going to hate that trade.

- The coaches that are using this somewhat extreme method of sheltering defenders are basically a who's who list of the best coaches in hockey.

if they start taking QoC more seriously like in this article, I may just pay up to read a sports website.

Back