• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

This team has come a long way if Zaitsev’s deal is considered our worst. He will bounce back and be a solid 2nd pair d-man

I'm not saying that has to be the plan going in. I'd bet its not, and Hainsey or Zaitsev starts there. I'm just saying I think that's how it plays out based on merit.

Aside from Dotchin none of those guys were forced into those roles. They earned them.
I think we're on the same page then.

I want Dermott to be given an opportunity to earn a bigger role, and I expect him to do it perhaps as early as partway through this coming season.

I just don't want him to start off playing first-pairing minutes alongside Rielly at the beginning of the season.

Even if it's good bottom pair, it's far from a disaster, and you can pay someone a pick to take it.
As long as Zaitsev is a legitimate NHL defenseman and not a complete disaster, I think you can unload that contract without even having to give up an asset to do it.

He's got size, he's a right-handed defenseman, he's only 26/27 and $4.5M isn't a prohibitively expensive price tag.

Just look at some of the deals handed out this summer (and not all of these were even UFA deals):

Cody Ceci: $4.3M X 1 (arbitration award)
Brady Skjei: $5.25M X 6
Matt Dumba: $6M X 5
Ian Cole: $4.25M X 3
Jack Johnson: $3.25M X 5

He is mean, nasty and looks to have an IQ of a small ape. But man, his panic with the puck kills whoever he plays with. Dubas should have this guy coached all summer long with panic dman situations. Hopefully he is doing that as we speak.

He might be the best crosschecker in the NHL. Howdoes he gets away with it? Ask the zebras, I think he deserves 2 minutes every shift he is out there, He is just a pure criminal.

I think he is an awful dman. But as long as he doesn't get too many penalties, he might be the meanest guy on the team.

Left.

I feel Zaitsev bounces back this season. And I never liked that contract, but if he can play like that first season, it' sok.

simmonssteve

Broadcast Rumblings: don’t expect Paul Romanuk back calling hockey games on Sportsnet this coming season. Should be announced shortly.

Romanuk didn't exactly do a great job calling Leaf games, but he was handed the shitty end of the stick by getting paired up with Greg Millen for almost every game.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that we're stuck with Hughson & Simpson calling an ever-increasing number of Leaf games.

Romanuk didn't exactly do a great job calling Leaf games, but he was handed the shitty end of the stick by getting paired up with Greg Millen for almost every game.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that we're stuck with Hughson & Simpson calling an ever-increasing number of Leaf games.

Galley is the worst by far

[Simmons] Broadcast Rumblings: don’t expect Paul Romanuk back calling hockey games on Sportsnet this coming season. Should be announced shortly.

If so very good news. Nothing against the guy but I just couldn't picture him staying "Toronto Maple leafs have won the Stanley Cup". Want Joe

Source?

I'm not sure I love giving up on a defenseman that young, depending on the return of course.

On the other hand, in his first couple of pro seasons, Nielsen's been little else but a huge point-shot that can't skate or play defense very well.

And the Marlies do have a massive log-jam on defense.

source is that Nielsen followed the Ducks on Insta and is not following the leafs. not sure if he was following the leafs before or not. but he doesn't follow any other team.

Back