• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

Matthews when asked if he was ever on a team where he wasn't the captain: "Every team. I always played up and was one of the younger players on the team. I was an assistant for the US development team but thats about it."

So no, he does not give a shit if he doesn't become the captain of the Leafs. He will be the captain. But it doesn't matter. You can move on media.

I think its Matthews. Otherwise what are they being so patient for? They could have easily named a captain when Phaneuf was traded. Or given it to Marleau last year. Or Tavares when he signed. No other team has a problem naming a captain.

They have a plan like they do with everything else. Not that it matters either way.

My money would either be Matthews getting the captaincy, or them going off the board and avoiding the whole "Matthews vs. Tavares" thing to give it to Morgan Rielly.

I really don't think they're going to give it to Tavares though. I just don't think they'll pull the "let's hand the captaincy to the new guy" move again.

They repeat over and over again, "if you have time use it". I think they know they have their captain. They just aren't in any rush to lay the burden to a kid. But I think it comes with the $12 million paycheck. At that point there is no way to shelter him from the pressure.

I really have no problem with either Tavares or Matthews getting the C. Tavares is a good captain too, and I'd say after half a season the chemistry in the dressing room should work itself out the team will know who should be the C.

Even if Tavares is the next C, it doesn't mean Matthews can't be the Leafs captain at some point in time. Tavares is 28, he has signed a 7 years deal. I presume he will retire after 7 years, at that point Matthews will be 27. Seems to be that's a good time to become C.

And I think really, at the end of the day, AM and JT don't care so much about the captaincy as the fans. It's a pretty minor issue imo.

I'm more interested in Matthew's extension. I think both sides know what Matthews will sign for with very little wiggle room (I'll be surprised if Matthews sign anything but a 8 years x $10.5M - 11M contract) ... it shouldn't be a tough negotiation.

To me, the main point is really to sign Marner to an extension. Marner had a great 2nd half, and if he does not sign this summer, and he goes on to have a PPG season, he will be worth a lot more next summer.

I hope if Matthews and Nylander both signing this summer, that would be enough initiative to get Marner to sign an extension at the same time. I presume the trio wants to play together for a long time, and the other 2 signing might lure Marner to sign something based on his value to day.

I hope we can get AM for $10.5M, Nylander for $6M and Marner for $6.5M before training camp starts. That will be VERY GOOD for us going forawrd.

Yeah, pretty hard to see Tavares retiring that early, unless he starts being badly hampered by injuries and/or concussions by the end of his current contract like Rick Nash.

Top centers like him usually last into their late 30's.

And one other point to consider when it comes to the captaincy---one argument I've seen a lot in the media is that, among other reasons like his age and having previously been a captain, Tavares should get the "C" because he's currently the Leafs' best player. But does anyone else disagree with that? I'm not convinced that Tavares is a better player than Matthews now, let alone another 2-3 years down the road.

Matthews is already better.

and i'm not sure Tavares' last captaincy went all that well.

Matthews already turned this franchise around more than Tavares ever was able to his.

Yep. I have to agree.

Matthews the last two years > Tavares at any point in his career.

And that's no knock on Tavares. Matthews has just flat-out been one of the top two or three players in the league at even strength since he first set foot on NHL ice.

Back