• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread 2018

The Nylander deal will get done. Its probably a good sign that he remains one of the last holdouts because that means the Leafs are playing hardball and not caving. Otherwise he'd be back on a 2 year deal now like some of the other RFAs.

This is a big contract, and a big test for Dubas. In the long term is makes no difference if he holds out for camp, or even 5-10 games. Only thing that matters is they get him long term at a reasonable number.

Don’t get the issue here if Nylander is unsigned. If the player has unrealastic demands as an RFA, you don’t just cave to said denands. Only 2 conclusions here, bridge deal or reasonable long term deal

Lol. You don't think he was already offered a bridge deal? Come on folks. This guy and his father are playing hardball. Take a look at his fathers track record. This guy was a serial sports star. He was a global hockey player, and it looks like he intends on Willy to possibly do the same.

Here is Micheal's career. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4017

He didn't apparently love playing hockey all that much, but he sure loved getting paid.

Don’t get the issue here if Nylander is unsigned. If the player has unrealastic demands as an RFA, you don’t just cave to said denands. Only 2 conclusions here, bridge deal or reasonable long term deal
Yeah, there's no worries here.

The only questions here are how long the contract negotiations will go into the pre-season/regular season and whether he takes a bridge like Nurse & Morrissey did recently, or if he signs long-term. But one way or another, it's going to get done, and the team will just keep rolling along without him in the meantime.

Lol. You don't think he was already offered a bridge deal? Come on folks. This guy and his father are playing hardball. Take a look at his fathers track record. This guy was a serial sports star. He was a global hockey player, and it looks like he intends on Willy to possibly do the same.

Here is Micheal's career. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4017

He didn't apparently love playing hockey all that much, but he sure loved getting paid.

(alleged) sins of the father

Might depend on the team.

If a really good team with maybe a bit of an aging core and some cap space was interested, why not offer sheet Nylander with an $8M deal and give up four 1sts that would be in the 25-30 range?

Ughh because the whole league knows he is his fathers son? He wouldn't get two firsts, from any team in the NHL now. If he was offered 6.5 for 8 years, he and his father, are the stupidest turkeys ever.

He is a nice player, possibly better than his father ever was. But he has a rep now of being soft, and now you can add greedy to that.

The good news is that I think Kasperi might take over quite nicely for Nylander.

And I don't know if anyone caught it, but there was old Boobcock commenting on how great a camp Kapanen is having. I have to say, does he not think Micheal Nylander understands Boobcock blather? So stupid of Boobcock, but I really don't think the guy is all that intelligent in the first place.

What's the basis of these claims about Michael Nylander?

He changed teams mostly due to trades, not sniffing for coin. He signed with the Rangers after becoming UFA, they declined his option year and he then signed with the Caps. Where's the evidence that he's a gold digger?

As far as Michael Nylander goes, it would be interesting to see how his career would go if he entered the league today.

Back when he played, especially in the early days of his career in the mid-to-late 90's, NHL GM's didn't like small, non-physical centers. And they especially didn't like small, non-physical European centers.

Combine that with Michael just not being as good a player as Willam was at the start of their respective careers and the NHL of the day not being a place where small, speedy skilled players could thrive, and that's why he mostly bounced around between bad teams in the early part of his career before really taking off as a high-end scorer following the 2004 lockout and the crackdown on obstruction that followed it.

Last edited:
But how exactly is that relevant to Willy?

ec0a49adde8cd56df5bb32173d495350.jpg

Or something similar, I'd imagine.

Claims about Micheal Nylander? I posted his hockeydb The guy played 24 some odd seasons and produced well in four, he played for zillions of teams.

Count em up. Its too much for me to add. Well not really, but even a mole at night can see this guy liked being paid and being transient.

I called Schenn and now I called this one. And its going perfectly.

Only a sudden signup, which would make perfect sense for ole greedy daddy and Willy, will shut me up. But this pair, Willy and Mikey, are two toxic ingredients.
\
And none of this would have happened save for ole Boobcock. And his pathetic prehistoric ways. .

This is the tip of the iceberg, no Lidstrom is going to save Boobcock from certain humiliation.

Trust me on this. Shanahan is losing sleep over hiring this overrated dino. And its only going to get worse.

Considering that I love Nylander, it's going to be very difficult to have to read this stuff all season long, if that's the intent.

Considering that I love Nylander, it's going to be very difficult to have to read this stuff all season long, if that's the intent.

There will be a new fixation when he signs. I expect the Babcock thing to keep up, and I assume pig nose will be back too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoever is advising Nylander is an idiot. This is a very stupid thing he is doing for his career. There are too many young talented wingers on this team getting badly underused to risk this.
I find it a joke we are still expecting Kapanen on the 4th line.

Last edited:
I really wonder what the play is here. Are they hoping to get an offer sheet? Otherwise the leverage each side has won't change much; if anything the Leafs can afford to wait a lot more than Willy can.

Back