• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes GM Search ... it's Don Waddell (5/8)

He does, that's the 2nd time in a couple months I've shook his hand, he was at the Cary cool bars as well. He seemed in better spirits today, go figure.

I was very happy to hear him on 99.9 today stating that it would take some crazy offer for us to trade away the 2nd overall pick.

Anybody heard anything about Francis being hired by another team?

I've got a friend who lives in Ronnie's neighborhood and it's a pretty tight group. He says that Francis really doesn't want to leave the area and it will take a VERY attractive situation to get him to move. Which Francis pretty much said was the case when he started working for the Canes in the first place. He might go to work with Jimmy Rutherford or somebody else he's got a tight relationship with but that's probably it. So ... Toronto or Pittsburgh. Maybe. He might also just take a scouting gig and call it a day.

I've got a friend who lives in Ronnie's neighborhood and it's a pretty tight group. He says that Francis really doesn't want to leave the area and it will take a VERY attractive situation to get him to move. Which Francis pretty much said was the case when he started working for the Canes in the first place. He might go to work with Jimmy Rutherford or somebody else he's got a tight relationship with but that's probably it. So ... Toronto or Pittsburgh. Maybe. He might also just take a scouting gig and call it a day.

Toronto takes him back home to Ontario so that makes sense when you connect the dots with the Dubas Soo connection that some media have pointed out, apparently Chuck Fletcher is also in on rumors of some role in Toronto with Dubas. But I agree with you JB, maybe with JR and the Pens, that makes a lot of sense, but so does taking a year or two off and staying in the area and just enjoying life with his family!

Toronto takes him back home to Ontario so that makes sense when you connect the dots with the Dubas Soo connection that some media have pointed out, apparently Chuck Fletcher is also in on rumors of some role in Toronto with Dubas. But I agree with you JB, maybe with JR and the Pens, that makes a lot of sense, but so does taking a year or two off and staying in the area and just enjoying life with his family!

Remember ... Ronnie signed those last contracts with the Canes largely because he intended to spend his retirement in Raleigh. He didn't decide to go into management or coaching until AFTER his career was done, but he wasn't playing around about retiring here. Toronto might be kinda "home" to him, but Raleigh is the place he chose to put up his feet when he's done and knowing RF, that hasn't changed.

All those people flapping about his next move without taking that into consideration misjudge the man.

BrindAmour wanted to stay in town because his wife is from Raleigh right?
Meh. I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that he was starting a second family at the time. I mean, the woman is from Raleigh. She’s not literally rooted to the ground or anything.

I was curious so I checked Waddell is one of only 5 American born NHL GMs

...which is slightly lower than the 24% presence of American players. Given that the presence of Americans on NHL rosters has generally increased, it stands to reason that the same will happen with the GM ranks.

Back