• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL Draft Preliminary Thread

Hopefully Jack is more useful to this franchise than his Dad was. That was the big Nylander, Zalapski, James Patrick for Suter, Drury and Ranheim trade.

The scouting reports are all over on Jack Drury from having good drive, work ethic and willingness to park himself in front of the net, to poor skating and playing in a poor USHL where younger players benefitted against older players. Some scouts had him in the 2nd round and others in the 4th round. There was no real consensus, except he was one of the best interviews ever. I kind of think we may have drafted Derek Ryan’s replacement.

Drury is a character pick. For a team with our current organizational depth chart I have no problem with that.

Hopefully Jack is more useful to this franchise than his Dad was. That was the big Nylander, Zalapski, James Patrick for Suter, Drury and Ranheim trade.

Meh ... he was never more than a grunt, but he played some really good hockey once he landed with the Ducks.

Last edited:
As I saw on Twitter this morning, if Drury makes it to the Canes, Tripp will be insufferable.

Luke’s wrapup from the draft. His coverage this week showed the importance of having a beat writer (even though he hasn’t had that beat for several years) cover the team. The N&O thought something big would happen and it did, just not the something they thought.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article213729684.html

For those that don't know the backgound, Jack Drury's father played at Harvard with both Tripp and Jason Karmanos. Which makes him seem like a "family" type pick the old Canes regime would have made.

Yeah. But they have a few years to bulk up. Did you see pictures of Luke Henman? He’s listed at 5’11” and 150 lbs. If he turned sideways, he’d disappear.

That clip everybody was retweeting where he snakes through five defenders? I'm certain he actually did disappear somewhere in there ... about 5 feet in front of the crease. Kid's got skills. No doubt about that.

Here's the thing about skinny 18 year olds .... not all of them stay that way. It's a part of doing your scouting homework to know which ones are likely to bulk up and which ones are likely to remain hat racks. I've got no problem with a skinny draft class. I've got a problem with a skinny AHL roster.

Back