• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Lou out as GM of the Leafs

Lou added invaluable experience and expertise to the organization. It was an absolute coup to get him here for 3 years and help build the foundation here.

Time to turn the keys over to the future and fully embrace the nerds though.

did not see this coming

weird that it is not simultaneous with somebody else being promoted (hunter, dubas)

Suspect this is the plan and was all along.

Lou to stay on as an advisor as per Shanahan

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely surprised by this.

Really seemed like the writing was on the wall last summer, when Shanahan stepped in, put a sudden end to Colorado's flirtation with Kyle Dubas and then signed him to an extension.

My money would be on Dubas inheriting the GM's chair.

There's been a lot of talk about Hunter too, but I would think he'd be happy focused entirely on amateur scouting, especially if he's got total autonomy there.

DcCtsAZV4AAn2i4.jpg

Sounds like he agreed to come on for 3 years as GM and then stay for a few years after as an advisor. You'd think you'd announce the new GM at the same time, though.

Sounds like he agreed to come on for 3 years as GM and then stay for a few years after as an advisor. You'd think you'd announce the new GM at the same time, though.

They are probably still holding out hope that MB gets fired so they can scoop him up.

Yeah, that part of this I am a little surprised by. I'm not sure why you bother making this announcement until you've sorted out who the new GM is.

Part of the urgency could be that Lamoriello is headed elsewhere. After all, he didn't stick around long in New Jersey when they booted him upstairs into an "advisor" role.

Perhaps Lou may be headed back to the New York area to take over the Islanders?

He didn't say they were searching just now focusing on making the decision

That could merely mean talking money and term

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It might not be Dubas right away, Leafs might try to poach another smart exec and have Dubas and NewGuy work as a nominal GM-AGM team. Hell, it could be Pridham as interim since all those contracts are up. Either way, we've done fairly well under Lou but we need to aggressively pursue improvement on the backend, and Lou was apparently fairly cautious about moving assets there...

He didn't say they were searching just now focusing on making the decision

That could merely mean talking money and term
Yeah, that could be it.

Part of it could also be getting Dubas, Hunter, Pridham, etc. all into a room together to sort out what everybody's new roles and responsibilities would be.

Also---if the new GM does end up being Kyle Dubas, then brace yourselves everybody: the "old school hockey establishment/media" will declare open-season on the Maple Leafs. There's nothing on this planet that makes those people more threatened and insecure than a "computer boy" like Dubas taking over an NHL team.

Maybe they just want to give Lou his semi-retirement presser, and not take away the spotlight from all the great shit he has done here and make it Dubas day.

Maybe they just want to give Lou his semi-retirement presser, and not take away the spotlight from all the great shit he has done here and make it Dubas day.

that is what i thought

but i cannot wait for all the media stories about a rift between lou and dubas or some crap

Back