• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rod Brind'Amour to be next Head Coach

Eslker nailed it. Skinner is either your primary first line scoring winger or you use him in a Kessel-like role on a third line. Problem being, that second option only works if you have three solid lines and other teams actually have to make an effort to match up. We haven't had that since that brief period where we had E Staal and Semin actually clicking on the first line. That lasted what? 20 games? FIVE years ago.

Free Skinner ... and by that I probably just mean trade Skinner.

Eslker nailed it. Skinner is either your primary first line scoring winger or you use him in a Kessel-like role on a third line. Problem being, that second option only works if you have three solid lines and other teams actually have to make an effort to match up. We haven't had that since that brief period where we had E Staal and Semin actually clicking on the first line. That lasted what? 20 games? FIVE years ago.

Free Skinner ... and by that I probably just mean trade Skinner.

Again we seem to always end at the same conclusion...a top line center, or at least a 1A would solve all kinds of problems when you bring up the topic of Jeff Skinner and scoring in general for the Canes. So let's just say Aho is indeed penciled into a center ice role next year, imagine what one more solid, offensive center would do for this team overall...especially when you also consider the addition of Svechnikov as an additional scoring winger and assume Zykov also makes the team.

Skinner on a top line with a legit offensive center and perhaps a guy like Zykov
Aho centering Turbo and Svechnikov
Staal in a not over-slotted third line center role with Lindholm and Williams
One of Rask or Necas or Wallmark filling out the fourth line with McGinn and Martinook

I'm less certain about calling Aho a center, and even less less certain about doing it with Brind'Amour coaching. I think we wait and see what roster moves they make.

I also caught a few minutes of John Forslund on the radio yesterday. He was sky high about the choice of Brindy as head coach. I'm warming to the idea more and more every day.

I, too, am slowly liking the idea of Brind'Amour as the head coach.

I think it was Doug Honeggar (??) on the radio yesterday saying that the Canes hire of Brind'Amour was a good one. He said by sheer name and experience, he will give the team an immediate boost in on ice production. He said Babcock disciples, such as Peters, emphasize systems and structure and had to cut their chops as strategists and believe former players will bring intangibles that other players recognize. He further went on to say that because of Brind'Amour's successes, training reputation, work ethic, his players will have a better buy in. The selection of Brind'Amour as a head coach was ultimately a good choice.

I, too, am slowly liking the idea of Brind'Amour as the head coach.

I think it was Doug Honeggar (??) on the radio yesterday saying that the Canes hire of Brind'Amour was a good one. He said by sheer name and experience, he will give the team an immediate boost in on ice production. He said Babcock disciples, such as Peters, emphasize systems and structure and had to cut their chops as strategists and believe former players will bring intangibles that other players recognize. He further went on to say that because of Brind'Amour's successes, training reputation, work ethic, his players will have a better buy in. The selection of Brind'Amour as a head coach was ultimately a good choice.

What I like the most about the Brindy hire is that no one can hide on this team any longer. Guys like Rask, Faulk, Skinner, Lindholm, Hanafin, most of the old regime that sticks around come September will either have to give more than they have been giving or they likely will be called to the carpet by the new coach. Best quote I took from the Brindy intro presser was when he said most of all those guys have a lot more to give...so we can only hope it's time to see the coach put his money where his mouth is when it comes to calling these guys out or sit them down if they underachieve.

Best quote I took from the Brindy intro presser was when he said most of all those guys have a lot more to give...so we can only hope it's time to see the coach put his money where his mouth is when it comes to calling these guys out or sit them down if they underachieve.

My favorite quote from one of Brindy's interviews was "We don't need a better weight room. We need guys who want to get in the weight room."

Back