• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rod Brind'Amour to be next Head Coach

Threads merged ... TI wins!

Thoughts:

Throwing convention ALL the way out the window here. It was clear they were looking at Brindy and Vellucci from in house and that Vellucci had his hands tied with the Checkers playoff run. Rather than wait and give the man a shot at making his case with a clear head, BAM ... they hire Brindy now. And that's not end, as they broke all tradition by hiring the coach before naming a permanent GM. It'll be a field day on Twitter to be sure.

And look ... I would have preferred Vellucci. I've made that plain, so I'm not backing off now. He's got more practical experience as a head coach, simply in the sense that he's actually been one. Brindy might work out fine, but for the third hire in a row we've gone out and hired somebody we hope can turn into a good head coach instead of someone who's actually been one before. I'm not a fan of the approach. That doesn't mean I wish the man ill, far from it. I hope he's every bit as good a coach as he was a Captain.

Carry on

did Velucci say no or maybe they were not impressed when they talked to him?

There's no way Vellucci said no. I was told last week that he was going to get a chance to make his case for the job once Charlotte's playoffs were done. No clue what happened in the meantime.

to me the problem with "alum" coaches is there is always an issue if they need to be fired. Some fans tend to give the alum more slack and get madder when they are fired.

This really seems like a Karmanos/Rutherford move , hiring from within.

I am so impressed :sarcasm: At least they didn't hire me. (this is a positive for us all except me )

I don't like it. Not one bit. I don't like hiring a coach before the GM and I don't like giving the Head Coach role to a guy who has never ever been a head coach.

That doesn't mean that Roddy will necessarily fail, but until I see a very clear difference in the way he will run the team, manage in game decisions, what system we will play, etc. then to me this is a huge risk. I don't doubt Brind'Amour will give everything to this opportunity, but what will he do differently than Muller and Peters were doing? That is what I want to know and see. And who will run the PP next season, I want to know who to blame!

The only thing certain about the Canes is the uncertainty.

Was hoping for someone with head coaching experience. Whatever. This is just another wait-and-see. What's that old expression: Hope for the best but prepare for the Canes.

Does this mean that Dudley is the de facto GM?

7 years as an NHL assistant is a pretty good background. Is it better than 10+ years as a head coach in junior hockey? I guess Dundon thinks so.

7 years as an NHL assistant is a pretty good background. Is it better than 10+ years as a head coach in junior hockey? I guess Dundon thinks so.

Yeah ... I get that. But honestly, if those 7 years were spent working under legit head coaches who knew what they were doing then that would be one thing. Brindy has had the misfortune of working under two guys who sucked at their job. At least they sucked in different ways.

on the bright side at least he knows what NOT to do as head coach :)

I guess one of his first jobs is to find a new assistant to work on offense. And to decide if he wants to keep Smith for defense.

Which one will sell more tickets? Brindy is a household name, but then again somwas Ron.

Just to clarify one point. Peters did have head coaching experience, just not at the NHL level. He had 3 years at Spokane and 3 years at Rockford before moving to Detroit. Mueller had 17 games experience as a head coach before he was hired away from the Milwaukee Admirals, after spending 5 years as a NHL assistant.

Maurice had 2 years as a junior head coach. He won the title in his 2nd year . He was only 28 when the Whalers made him head coach.

Maurice had 2 years as a junior head coach. He won the title in his 2nd year . He was only 28 when the Whalers made him head coach.

It's pretty well documented that Maurice was so far over his head when he was hired to coach the Whalers that the veteran players literally ran practices and set up the lines and pairings for him. He learned on the job, but it was a slow, painful process to watch.

Brindy is NOT that green.

Throwing convention ALL the way out the window here. It was clear they were looking at Brindy and Vellucci from in house and that Vellucci had his hands tied with the Checkers playoff run. Rather than wait and give the man a shot at making his case with a clear head, BAM ... they hire Brindy now. And that's not end, as they broke all tradition by hiring the coach before naming a permanent GM. It'll be a field day on Twitter to be sure.

And look ... I would have preferred Vellucci. I've made that plain, so I'm not backing off now. He's got more practical experience as a head coach, simply in the sense that he's actually been one. Brindy might work out fine, but for the third hire in a row we've gone out and hired somebody we hope can turn into a good head coach instead of someone who's actually been one before. I'm not a fan of the approach. That doesn't mean I wish the man ill, far from it. I hope he's every bit as good a coach as he was a Captain.
My sentiments exactly. I'm hoping and praying that Brindy will be a success, but I was hoping for something different. Maybe he'll be as competitively demanding of his players as he was with himself.

That said, Dundon has thrown out the play book on how things are normally done in the NHL. If Brindy falters, I have no doubt that TD will move quickly and decisively to try someone else. Whether this is good, bad, or indifferent, I don't know. Whether it's this time - or the 10th time - maybe he'll hit on the right combination.

I don't like it. Not one bit. I don't like hiring a coach before the GM and I don't like giving the Head Coach role to a guy who has never ever been a head coach.

That doesn't mean that Roddy will necessarily fail, but until I see a very clear difference in the way he will run the team, manage in game decisions, what system we will play, etc. then to me this is a huge risk. I don't doubt Brind'Amour will give everything to this opportunity, but what will he do differently than Muller and Peters were doing? That is what I want to know and see. And who will run the PP next season, I want to know who to blame!

The only thing certain about the Canes is the uncertainty.

I assume the previous assistant position that Roddy abandons is still open? If so, one guy out there that makes a ton of sense with the Dudley add is John Torchetti. Brindy could likely use a veteran type assistant coach with lots of experience...Torchetti is really close with Dudley, my two cents says adding a guy like Torchetti to the mix would be a nice add.

As far as Brindy goes...if I only had a choice of him or Vellucci I take Brindy every time based on his leadership abilities and his passion for the game. None of us know for sure what he really could have done differently as an assistant here when you have head coaches that you do not want to step over, but this at least gives Rod a chance to do things differently than the two guys he reported to here in the past behind the bench.

It's pretty well documented that Maurice was so far over his head when he was hired to coach the Whalers that the veteran players literally ran practices and set up the lines and pairings for him. He learned on the job, but it was a slow, painful process to watch.

Brindy is NOT that green.

And really, Brindy and Francis coached the team from 2000-04, right?

Maurice won the OHL championship. He lost in the Memorial Cup final to Kamloops. His team had Bryan Berard, Todd Harvey, Jamie Allison and a bunch of guys who never played in the NHL. Greg Stefan and Peter DeBoer were his assistants. Kamloops had Darcy Tucker, Shane Doan, Tyson Nash, Jarome Iginla, Nolan Baumgartner

Back