• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

World Championships Thread

Funny how some fans continue to bash a coach even when he's gone. Any reason for that? I've seen it with other coaches too. You might remember a local guy by the name of Sendek. His "fan base" continued to rip him years after he left town.

Also why do I have this feeling that on this board I will hear about every game Calgary loses this upcoming season?

Honestly, I don’t give a crap about what he does in Calgary. I’m just really tired of reading about how us rubes in North Carolina don’t know anything about hockey and how great a coach Peters is, he was just saddled with a bad roster. He had the Art Ross and (probable) Calder trophy winners on his roster, his goalies had a lower GAA than the US and Swiss and he went home empty handed.

I think in Peters' case, he just hasn't been gone long enough yet... the Paul Maurice bashing has lessened considerably after nine years, and you never hear about Kirk Muller, or even Jeff Daniels' sub-par tenure as the AHL team's coach.

Funny how some fans continue to bash a coach even when he's gone. Any reason for that? I've seen it with other coaches too. You might remember a local guy by the name of Sendek. His "fan base" continued to rip him years after he left town.

Also why do I have this feeling that on this board I will hear about every game Calgary loses this upcoming season?

I could personally care less about Sendek, or even college basketball generally. Maurice was fun to pick on, but he at least got the Canes some division titles and a Stanley Cup appearance. I thought Lavy was great and don't have a bad thing to say about him. Muller was a horrible coach and never accomplished anything in 3 years. Peters then decided to top him and accomplish nothing in 4 years. They were each horrible coaches, and the thing that rubs me the wrong way with Peters is people think he was a great coach held down by a franchise in shambles. I think that narrative is crap and i will root against him in Calgary to make sure it is proven wrong.

Does not matter what Sendek did , 90% of the fan base wanted him gone by the time he left. He left town with the tar and feathers crowd after him. I guess his biggest sin was not beating "the blues" enough.

There are people who said Peters was a good coach but not around here. Why worry about what the media in Canada says? As I keep saying they have never liked the Canes or the fanbase here.

I was not a fan of Paul Maurice. And was super upset about the 2nd term. I didn't care, at all, for his coaching decisions.

But Bill Peters, is a total assclown, I dislike the man and his coaching. I'm glad he's gone. I too hope he continues to fail. Not ashamed to say that. Will I closely follow Calgary? Nope. Don't care that much, just glad he's not our problem any longer.

Paulie, you just like stirring the pot in here to get a reaction from folks...you need a new routine.

You sure bring up Sendek a lot. You also don't seem to listen to any kind of additional information anyone shares regarding that particular coaching change, preferring to stick to your own narrative. That's what's known as a straw man argument and frankly I don't have a lot of time for that. So ... just insert whatever narrative you feel comfortable with regarding Bill Peters and leave the rest of us out of it. You won't listen to anyone else's point of view anyway, so what's the point?

Peters did a mediocre job and probably would have been fired by most teams after year 3 - is that right? And after year 4 the new owner would have fired him so he quit on his own right? Just want to make sure I have the facts right. Or is there some secret inside knowledge about Peters I missed?

My point on Peters is that I don't see what people get out of still bashing him now. I guess people just get on a roll with a guy and can't let it go? Or I guess they need something to look down on and Peters fills that role even when he's gone. Now if the team does much better next season I think the fans will forget all about him .

Peters did a mediocre job and probably would have been fired by most teams after year 3 - is that right? And after year 4 the new owner would have fired him so he quit on his own right? Just want to make sure I have the facts right. Or is there some secret inside knowledge about Peters I missed?

My point on Peters is that I don't see what people get out of still bashing him now. I guess people just get on a roll with a guy and can't let it go? Or I guess they need something to look down on and Peters fills that role even when he's gone. Now if the team does much better next season I think the fans will forget all about him .

Again ... and why the freak I'm engaging on this, I have no clue ... you didn't read, or at least didn't comprehend my point. Ya know what? Screw it. I'm out.

Complaining about the Canes, players, and coaching is about 70% of what happens on this board, which is down from about 95% complaining on any board. The 30% of constructive stuff is what makes this board fun for me, but it is also therapeutic to complain and Internet boards are a good outlet. If people want to complain, why not as it sometimes leads to good discussion.

Since you fail to see what good any complaining does, it will be fun to watch your 100% positive posting going forward :)

I am OK with complaining about CURRENT players and coaches. Not people who are gone.

See, that's what you should have said the first time, but you went and had to tie in irrelevant stuff to your initial post and push your anti-NCSU agenda---again and again and again and again... We may still disagree with you, but you're point is more clearly made.

3 certain things in life - death , taxes, and fans want a coach fired when the team is not winning.

It seems nuts that some media think Canes fans should not want a losing coach fired like every other fan base in the world?

Paulie,

Nobody is really wishing that much ill on BP. It so happens he went from here to coach in the worlds and disappointed there as well. Lots of hockey media folks are trashing the Canes for getting rid of such a "marvelous coach", and that's bound to make us a little defensive about it - any way you slice it, he really wasn't marvelous here, and I think it's pretty normal when you get rid of someone to hope the problem was the guy you got rid of and at this point, since there's not much in terms of post season data points, we're looking for evidence that getting rid of BP was the correct move.

Why all the pot stirring on this?

I thought people here were really certain axing Peters was 100% the right move. But time will tell. You can't compare exactly next season though because the Canes will have different players and Calgary is a different team.

3 certain things in life - death , taxes, and fans want a coach fired when the team is not winning.

It seems nuts that some media think Canes fans should not want a losing coach fired like every other fan base in the world?

But....Peters is a great coach. Just ask anyone who isn't a Canes fan. He was just saddled with two terrible owners and a crummy roster. Which is part of why I'd like to see Brindy win with a very similar team. Any success Brindy may have, will be attributed to roster changes, etc. Even if Peters never amounts to squat as an NHL coach. But he has to go. He proved nothing about his ability to lead, in his time here. It's worth a listen to hear Forslund talk about this on the David Glenn show from the 15th. Says Peters lost the room long ago. And his message was tired. (Paraphrased)

Last edited:
sure people can say whatever they want. And I can disagree with what they say . Sometimes I just don't get why people are saying certain things so I state that .

sure people can say whatever they want. And I can disagree with what they say . Sometimes I just don't get why people are saying certain things so I state that .

All of which is fine. The objections seem to largely stem from the level of repetition of those "statements"

Back