• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rocket News: Joel Bouchard named head coach, Burrows Assistant

Re: Joel Bouchard named head coach of Laval Rocket

There it is.

Have to say, I have no issues with any of Bergevins post season moves so far. Lefevbre/JJ out, Bouchard/Ducharme in seems like a MAJOR upgrade to me.

Also don't hate to see Dudley go. His hair alone was a fire-able offence.

rick_dudley_2_ep.jpg

Good. Give these guys some pro experience. Couple of Julien replacements in the pipleline

The suprising part os that no General Manager will be named for the Rocket. So it's not sure if Carriere still makes the call or if Bouchard will when it comes to player trades. Unless bergevin takes control of it.

Martin Mondou:
Huge loss for the Q, but the Canadiens just hired one of the best player development coaches and most passionate person I know.

Dan Robertson:
From an Armada scout re: Joel Bouchard. "Extremely passionate, tremendous ability to teach the game. Gets the most out of guys, especially those who want to buy in. Bar will be high for players, but they will be afforded every effort and opportunity to be a successful pro."

Joel Bouchard named head coach of Laval Rocket

What I like most, org is finally showing some progressive thought - the AHL team now actually has a mandate & self direction with dedicated GM, coach etc..

Recall MB was GM of both Habs & AHL team for what, first 5-years of his tenure? Not possible in this day & age...

What this also tells me, Larry Carriere is being put out to pasture - Bouchard is essentially coach & GM of AHL

MB used to have 3-Management folks, Dudley’s gone, Carriere is now an advisor (I.e 3-day work week to golden handshake), Mellanby seems to be MIA.

Icing on the cake if Habs can poach Mark Hunter...

So like I said a few years ago, Larry Carriere is bulletproof....he survived the Gainey/Gauthier era.....and will survive the Bergevin era.

He's like Kevin Lowe in Edmonton....

Joel Bouchard named head coach of Laval Rocket

So like I said a few years ago, Larry Carriere is bulletproof....he survived the Gainey/Gauthier era.....and will survive the Bergevin era.

This was a save face move for Carriere, I assume he’s got another year or two remaining on his contract and is being pushed aside till the contract expires - otherwise he’d have his contract conveniently “not renewed”

Habs fans will probably want Bouchard fired in 3 or 4 years.

What's more likely to happen, Habs will have to decide on promoting him or letting him go to another organization. It's going to be interesting, a little internal competition between Bouchard and Ducharme.

This was a save face move for Carriere, I assume he’s got another year or two remaining on his contract and is being pushed aside till the contract expires - otherwise he’d have his contract conveniently “not renewed”

I also wonder if they will try to persuade Bouchard to keep his son Nick as an assistant coach. The country club isn't dead yet.

And of course Carrieres son who I believe was coaching in state university of NY hockey was somehow hired to become an AHL assistant coach:sarcasm

Donald Dufresne and Nick Carriere will not return as assistant coaches.

BTW - this is the most relaxed I’ve heard MB on a PC since perhaps his 1st season...doesn’t sound like a guy on the hot seat.

BTW - this is the most relaxed I’ve heard MB on a PC since perhaps his 1st season...doesn’t sound like a guy on the hot seat.

Molson told him to shake things up, here's the money.... So he spent it on young Quebec hotshots...easy breezy. From a perception point of view its all roses for now, until draft day.

Back