• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Flyovers are also probably a waste, but at least they don't cost $100 million.

Just seems like a giant waste of taxpayers money. It could be spent more effectively, for example on providing support to vets so they stop killing themselves at alarming rates. You know, if they actually cared about the military.

I feel that it's staggeringly disingenuous to equate an F-18 fly-over that lasts all of about two seconds to a lengthy military parade where tanks, missiles and soldiers roll through the streets of the nation's capital and salute Dear Leader while he's watching from up on a dais. They're not really the same thing.

Society could easily do without both, though.

And in general, the practice of tying together sports, the military & nationalism is something I'd like to see go in the dustbin of history.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it. Never let someone hold you up! I will instead...

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
....attend the big parade already scheduled at Andrews Air Force Base on a different date, & go to the Paris parade, celebrating the end of the War, on November 11th. Maybe we will do something next year in D.C. when the cost comes WAY DOWN. Now we can buy some more jet fighters!

I feel that it's staggeringly disingenuous to equate an F-18 fly-over that lasts all of about two seconds to a lengthy military parade where tanks, missiles and soldiers roll through the streets of the nation's capital and salute Dear Leader while he's watching from up on a dais. They're not really the same thing.

And in general, the practice of tying together sports, the military & nationalism is something I'd like to see go in the dustbin of history.

A few things.

The American parade wasn`t going to include tanks or any tracked vehicles. Wheeled only, to preserve the roads.

As for a CF 18 fly over, it lasts all of two seconds for people watching it, it lasts quite a while longer for the jets and pilots.

The cost of fuel alone(from a american source) is 110 000 dollars. Now toss in operational expenses and ground crew and paying the pilots for their time up in the air and it`s likely a lot more than that. Multiply by how many flyovers happen in a given year and it adds up.

That said, you wont see many people complaining about that.

Last edited:

Especially when flyovers are generally just a detour on scheduled patrols. At least here they are. I’m sure it’s similar in Canada.

I wonder if he's even been invited to the Paris parade, or if he's just inviting himself back.

Likely the latter. Although I’m sure Macron will enjoy Trumps jealousy over his parade.

“Oh, you don’t have one Donald”?

C’est dommage

However, defence secretary James Mattis has rubbished the reports, suggesting whoever claimed the parade was set to cost upwards of $90m was “probably smoking something.”

“I'm not dignifying that number with a reply,” the Pentagon chief told reporters while travelling to the Colombian capital Bogota.

“I would discount that, and anybody who said it, I'll almost guarantee you one thing: They probably said, 'I need to stay anonymous.' No kidding, because you look like an idiot.

“And number two, whoever wrote it needs to get better sources. I'll just leave it at that.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ostponed-washington-cost-leaked-a8495561.html

Especially when flyovers are generally just a detour on scheduled patrols. At least here they are. I’m sure it’s similar in Canada.

Canadian Jets based out of Bagotville, Cold Lake, are hours away from cities like Ottawa, Edmonton, Regina, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal, Hamilton, and Toronto.

Unlike the states where the bases are a lot closer to population centers and a lot of bases have fighter aircraft, in Canada, there are really only two bases that regularly have fighter aircraft and they are in the middle of nowhere.

As such, to call them detours from scheduled patrols is disingenuous. To call them training flights is disingenuous as well. There is not much training involved in taking off from base, flying over a stadium or Canada day parade and returning to base.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Yeah, the US has jets everywhere and most flyovers are done by older jets anyway.

Last edited:
Back