• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I mean if the LAVs were travelling hundreds of miles an hour and jumping over me, that would be cool too.

can they do that?

Top speed of the LAV is 100 kph, and if you want one to jump over you at that speed, I wouldn't complain.

Is that what is boils down to for you?

Military Jets are awesome, Armored vehicles are not?

Because I dare say, there is a segment to the population that finds armored vehicles quite interesting

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-world-of-tanks-is-wildly-popular-and-no-one-se/1100-6444022/

Cool things jets can do during a flyover:
Fly through the air
Fly fast
Be loud in a cool way

Things LAVs can do in a parade:
Drive down the street in a straight line

So unless this parade is featuring demonstrations of LAVs taking out other LAVs or something, I'll take the flyover.

nah, a parade of military jets rolling down the street would be pretty fricken lame too, tbh.
Okay, you don't like parades.

But considering the crowds that remembrance day parades get, it's fair to say that there is a portion of the population that enjoys parades, why not do it for them?

They would probably like Armored vehicles as well.

Cool things jets can do during a flyover:
Fly through the air
Fly fast
Be loud in a cool way

Things LAVs can do in a parade:
Drive down the street in a straight line

So unless this parade is featuring demonstrations of LAVs taking out other LAVs or something, I'll take the flyover.

You would take a LAV ride, don't even pretend you wouldn't.

Is that what is boils down to for you?

Military Jets are awesome, Armored vehicles are not?

Because I dare say, there is a segment to the population that finds armored vehicles quite interesting

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-world-of-tanks-is-wildly-popular-and-no-one-se/1100-6444022/

Tanks/Armored vehicles are awesome. When I was in Germany back in March we went to a tank museum in a city out there, and it was awesome to see all the old tanks they have on display.

But yeah, in terms of a military demo, the Jets rocket past and make for an awesome visual. Tanks rolling slowly down the street doesn't really do it. At least, not as like a big, "Celebrate our Dear Leader" type of parade. If the military wants to show off all their gear by planning their own parade, the same way that Caribana has a big parade, then be my guest. Heck, if they did that, I'd probably want to go, since as I said, tanks are awesome. But it shouldn't be the government's job to flaunt that.

Okay, you don't like parades.

But considering the crowds that remembrance day parades get, it's fair to say that there is a portion of the population that enjoys parades, why not do it for them?

They would probably like Armored vehicles as well.

But what are you trying to celebrate?

Remembrance Day should be about honouring the heroes of the past. As I said above, if the current branch of the military wants to be represented, and they want to bring a couple of the current LAVs that they use, I got nothing wrong with that. But when the purpose of the parade is to honour the past, it shouldn't be about flaunting the current gear.

But what are you trying to celebrate?

Remembrance Day should be about honouring the heroes of the past. As I said above, if the current branch of the military wants to be represented, and they want to bring a couple of the current LAVs that they use, I got nothing wrong with that. But when the purpose of the parade is to honour the past, it shouldn't be about flaunting the current gear.

I feel like both can be done.

And in all honesty, with the Canadian military shoved off into little backwater towns and largely away from the public eye, any move to making the military more visible and having soldiers and civilians interact is a plus to me.

there will always be a segment of the population that will come out to honor the past, same as there is a segment that will come out to check out the military gear. Lets be honest, Remembrance day is a stat holiday, how many people spend it watching netflix?

In Canada? They can pick up all the women they want in Cold lake and Bagotville.

Lol

top_gun_1986_poster.jpg

iai_in1h.jpg

Good thing the 2 countries are such close friends and neighbours, would never squabble over anything, and are always there for each other :cheers2:

The friendship is deep enough to withstand Trump. The adults involved realize this. It’s a waiting game.

On 9-11, Canadian Air assets were mobilized with the authority of the then Prime Minister Chretien, so I imagine if Canada realized that it needed American help it would quickly be brought to the president for approval.

I don't think that NORAD can act cross borders unilaterally, so I imagine Trump could just say no to helping, at least until supply management was abolished and Canada spends 2 percent of GDP on defense.

I think Trump would jump at the chance to “help”. Massive feeding to his ego.

Back