• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

This, all of this, is what happens when you let the dumbasses take the wheel.

Completely ****ing predictable. If you take a stroll through the thread after Trump was elected, there was a number of posts from a bunch of us warning about this exact type of dangerous bullshit.

Meanwhile, in Italy:

@antoguerrera
BREAKING. #Italy Interior minister and LEAGUE leader Salvini: "I've asked for a census of the Roma community living in Italy. The irregular ones will be deported. However, we'll have to keep" in Italy "the Romas with Italian citizenship, unfortunately" (ANSA agency)

Screw that.

The inability for the people that the people of america elected to their three branches of government to stop this makes this Americas shame.
The comparison I keep thinking of is Rob Ford when he was mayor of Toronto.

By this point of Ford's tenure as mayor, the vast majority of the public at large and almost all of city council had realized that Ford was a dangerously unstable moron, and city council used their democratic powers to strip Ford of most of his power and capacity to do harm.

Congress has a lot of the same ability to constrain Trump's ability to **** things up, but they've done jack shit to rein him in.

The US can "win" a trade war with China. Or Canada. Or the EU.

They cannot win against all of them at the same time though.

when a country "loses" a trade war, it can resort to other types of war. and hey, trumps can say goodbye to hisnfake new nuclear deal if those goes further.

tbh, though, China is used to the longplay, and they're not a democracy - they can stand to be losing a trade war a lot longer than the US can, and way longer than US politicians can.

Daniel Dale
@ddale8
Breaking: Trump announces he plans to retaliate against China's retaliation against his $50 billion in tariffs, asking his officials to identify another $200 billion worth of goods to hit with tariffs.

Trade wars are easy to win.

Doesn't this mean that the cost of living will go up dramatically for the majority of Trumps base? People that have below middle class income rely on cheap products not made in the US.

Doesn't this mean that the cost of living will go up dramatically for the majority of Trumps base? People that have below middle class income rely on cheap products not made in the US.

That's exactly what it means. The question is how many lies that base is willing to believe when it happens. Will they blame Trump, or will they blame who Trump tells them to blame?

Trump is obviously trying to bluff.

he is genuinely surprised that all of China, Canada, and Europe have readied dollar for dollar responses, I think.

he's still betting they fold quick.

That's exactly what it means. The question is how many lies that base is willing to believe when it happens. Will they blame Trump, or will they blame who Trump tells them to blame?

Oh, I dunno....one can always blame congress and past administrations for letting unfair trade get to this point.

Trump is obviously trying to bluff.

he is genuinely surprised that all of China, Canada, and Europe have readied dollar for dollar responses, I think.

he's still betting they fold quick.

I think you're giving him too much credit here. He's made his business career on bullying and litigating (which he believes is part of "negotiating"). I don't think he thinks the response of his opponents through, or cares. He just knows that he wants something, and he starts leaning on his "opponent" until he gets what he wants.

Works great on getting plumbing contractors to settle on 70% of the bill. Likely will work less great when dealing with Xi.

DgBJ-H8WAAIo_O0.jpg:large

Oh, I dunno....one can always blame congress and past administrations for letting unfair trade get to this point.

I really don't think the 30% will budge on anything. That 30% is energized and appears to have weaponized their votes against any Republican who speaks out against Dear Leader.

So I don't think it matters what Trump blames it on, they'll buy it and punish any Republican who claims that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

I really don't think the 30% will budge on anything. That 30% is energized and appears to have weaponized their votes against any Republican who speaks out against Dear Leader.

So I don't think it matters what Trump blames it on, they'll buy it and punish any Republican who claims that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

sure but 30% ain't gonna cut it.

I think you're giving him too much credit here. He's made his business career on bullying and litigating (which he believes is part of "negotiating"). I don't think he thinks the response of his opponents through, or cares. He just knows that he wants something, and he starts leaning on his "opponent" until he gets what he wants.

Works great on getting plumbing contractors to settle on 70% of the bill. Likely will work less great when dealing with Xi.

more interesting is that Trump is threatening this massive trade me war while at the same time going all in on saving ZTE (which senate just shut down).

how much money do you think Trump is personlly making off this ZTE scam?

his own chief of staff talking about impeachment now.

I don't see the Republicans doing it before November, and after the Democrats win Congress, I can't see the senate Republicans not circle the wagons if articles of impeachment get drawn up in Congress.

more interesting is that Trump is threatening this massive trade me war while at the same time going all in on saving ZTE (which senate just shut down).

how much money do you think Trump is personlly making off this ZTE scam?

Good question. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that it was at least part of the cost of the 500 million dollar loan TrumpCo received for Lido City.

Back