• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Brian Tashman @briantashman
Replying to @briantashman
Sessions says this is not like Nazi Germany "because in Nazi Germany, they were keeping the Jews from leaving the country!"

a good laugh at pandering and BS

[video=youtube;nzZQ5Y-g9Bk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZQ5Y-g9Bk[/video]

I would love a unified Chinese, Mexican, canadian, European coordinated strategy.

Although at that point, are we adhoc members of the Shanghai group?

No more than we would become a defacto member of the Eurozone.

We're a big enough player that we're not easily pushed around. We also tend to play well with others, so easily attract other similar or smaller sized players to the game to balance out the big kids.

Maybe.

But to date they are doubling down on this global trade war, with no sign of slowing down.

Because there's been no real world consequences yet. We're still in "this is so easy" mode. A bully always continues pushing until he gets punched in the nose, and not a moment sooner. In this context, putting tariffs on American products isn't the punch. His base feeling it on the ground in terms of lost jobs is the punch. Sadly that looks like what this is going to have to come to.

Notice how I didn't say join the EU.

I am rather globalist, I firmly believe and support NATO, the G7, G20, the Paris accord, NAFTA, CETA, TPP. The only organization I don't support is the EU

Which is odd because the EU is a more democratic, more flexible version of those trade agreements with a common currency and open borders.

Which is odd because the EU is a more democratic, more flexible version of those trade agreements with a common currency and open borders.

Would you support open borders with the USA? A common currency? A north american government system with power over national governing bodies?

How about this, would you want southern US republican lawmakers having any say in canadian laws and affairs?

Would you support open borders with the USA? A common currency? A north american government system with power over national governing bodies?

That you continue to return to this retort kind of underlines how you chronically misunderstand what the EU actually is in political, social, and economic structure. For all the complaints of Germany "dominating" the EU economically, it's a trillion dollars smaller than the combined French/UK economies. There would be no such balance in a similar deal between Canada and the US. To flip it a slightly different way. If that was us on the border of Europe and not Russia and we were invited to the actual EU, I would absolutely support open borders and economic integration with Europe.

How about this, would you want southern US republican lawmakers having any say in canadian laws and affairs?

Bad analogies are bad.

That you continue to return to this retort kind of underlines how you chronically misunderstand what the EU actually is in political, social, and economic structure. For all the complaints of Germany "dominating" the EU economically, it's a trillion dollars smaller than the combined French/UK economies. There would be no such balance in a similar deal between Canada and the US. To flip it a slightly different way. If that was us on the border of Europe and not Russia and we were invited to the actual EU, I would absolutely support open borders and economic integration with Europe.

Bad analogies are bad.

You are lucky to live in Canada and I'll leave it at that.

You are lucky to live in Canada and I'll leave it at that.

In my scenario, I would still live in Canada. This idea of unchecked sovereignty that you cling to simply doesn't exist when you're a member of these multi national trade pacts.

In my scenario, I would still live in Canada. This idea of unchecked sovereignty that you cling to simply doesn't exist when you're a member of these multi national trade pacts.

NATO and the G7, or Paris accord doesn't want Canada to drop the canadian dollar does it now?

Back