• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

after reading a bunch more granular analysis of which candidates won and lost this election, it seems that it was very policy-oriented.

1. GUN CONTROL - pro-gun control candidates won huge, NRA-backed candidates got demolished. This is pretty huge.

2. HEALTH CARE - the dems were smart for focussing on this above all. this won them the election.

3. IMMIGRATION - while of course plenty came out to vote for the racism, it turns out that the Caravan story backfired spectacularly in places like Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, where exit polls clearly showed that the majority saw the Caravan as gross politicking, and not a real issue.

Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
Wow. One day before the Federalist Society's annual convention, longtime member George Conway (@gtconway3d) has announced the formation of Checks and Balances—a new group of conservative lawyers who believe Trump is undermining the rule of law. nytimes.com/2018/11/14/us/…

now that's a promising development. some of these guys actually have principals.

Dr-W49_UUAAGImO.jpg:large

wow

The Hill @thehill
1m
Chuck Schumer: "If Whitaker does not recuse himself, we Democrats are going to attempt to add legislation to the must-pass spending bill in a lame-duck session that will prevent Acting AG Whitaker from interfering w/ the Mueller investigation in any way."

This is actually fun.

I was on the Kamala bandwagon right after Trump won. She's really good. buuuuuut.....I'm not 100% on her right now. she's smart as hell and tough as nails, but lacks authenticity sometimes. She's still probably #1 for me, though.

I'm done with the old faces - Bernie, Lizzy, I love ya but it can't be you. Biden, Bloomberg...I don't love you, and it still can't be you.

Beto and Gillum are both interesting, though both might be better off on the bottom of the ticket than the top right now....but maybe not. I guess I could throw Swalwell into that group even though he's a bit of a bro.

But a bunch of strong women kicked ass lately....not super fresh but sorta new-ish.....like Klobuchar or Gillenbrand. They might be really good candidates.

One guy who it just can't be is Cory Booker. Or either of those latino twins from texas or wherever. Those guys are all such frauds. They'll get fried under the limelight.

If I had to call it right now? A Kamala-Beto ticket would be pretty dang formidable.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/darrell...e-was-part-of-the-problem-on-house-oversight/

During a Wednesday interview on Fox News, Congressman Darrell Issa (R-CA) slammed former House colleague-turned-Fox contributor Jason Chaffetz for his performance as chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Issa, who is leaving Congress in January, appeared on Outnumbered: Overtime Wednesday with Harris Faulkner to talk about the battle between Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) for the position of House Minority Speaker. (The vote had not taken place as of this interview, but McCarthy ended up prevailing 159-43.) This segued into a discussion about the job Jordan has done as a member of the oversight committee.

“During the last couple of years,” Issa said, “oversight was not going on in a time which Republican leadership could have convinced the American people that they didn’t need to go to the other side for oversight.”

“Are they missing guys like Jason Chaffetz?” Faulkner asked.

“Jason was actually part of the problem,” Issa replied — a remark which drew a gasp from the Fox host.

“I know he’s paid by Fox,” Issa acknowledged. “He didn’t do any oversight to speak of during his tenure, he shut down real oversight.”

it shouldn't be, but man it's just so damn refreshing to hear republicans just tell the simple truth, especially on fox.

Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
Wow. One day before the Federalist Society's annual convention, longtime member George Conway (@gtconway3d) has announced the formation of Checks and Balances—a new group of conservative lawyers who believe Trump is undermining the rule of law. nytimes.com/2018/11/14/us/…

now that's a promising development. some of these guys actually have principals.

a bit of a deeper dive on what's going on here. with links to further background. it's actually pretty important.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/11...-right-wing-lawyers-dedicated-checking-trump/

This is actually fun.

I was on the Kamala bandwagon right after Trump won. She's really good. buuuuuut.....I'm not 100% on her right now. she's smart as hell and tough as nails, but lacks authenticity sometimes. She's still probably #1 for me, though.

I'm done with the old faces - Bernie, Lizzy, I love ya but it can't be you. Biden, Bloomberg...I don't love you, and it still can't be you.

Beto and Gillum are both interesting, though both might be better off on the bottom of the ticket than the top right now....but maybe not. I guess I could throw Swalwell into that group even though he's a bit of a bro.

But a bunch of strong women kicked ass lately....not super fresh but sorta new-ish.....like Klobuchar or Gillenbrand. They might be really good candidates.

One guy who it just can't be is Cory Booker. Or either of those latino twins from texas or wherever. Those guys are all such frauds. They'll get fried under the limelight.

If I had to call it right now? A Kamala-Beto ticket would be pretty dang formidable.

Klobuchar really impressed me at the Kavanaugh hearings, and came off as very presidential (versus Booker who was painfully obnoxious with his grandstanding)......I'd love to see her a ticket, or with a real prominent cabinet position should Dems win.

I think the nominee is liable to be Biden, with the unspoken agreement that he only stays for one term, then hands the baton off to his VP.

Biden-Beto or Biden-Harris strike me as particularly strong tickets and really plausible.....Kamala-Beto would be pretty epic too tho, no doubt.

I dunno about Biden.

It seems like a pretty safe bet that he's got a whole bunch of #MeToo-related skeletons in his closet that the Republicans would be more than happy to drag out into the light of day.

He's also pretty damn old---by the time he would hypothetically take office in 2020, he'd be 77 years old to start his term.

Apparently Garcetti, mayor of LA, is hiring consultants for potential 2020 run.

Don’t know anything about him, but I always figured Cali made a candidate unelectable. But, who knows? Ground has shifted.

p.s. one of my favorite things on twitter today is people using all those pics from GOP congressmen celebrating Obamacare repeal to dunk on them as they continue to get beaten as each new race is called.

Igor Bobic @igorbobic
1m
McConnell objects to Flake’s unanimous consent request to bring up Mueller protection bill on Senate floor

Back