• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Every country does it and every other country knows it is being done. Admitting it publicly wold be somewhat of an extraordinary step, but it isn't clear (to me at least) if Turkey did that or if they told other intelligence agencies and it was leaked.

The Trump admin's response to this is an absolute scandal, and the clearest signal yet that they have fully abandoned any claim the US has to being a moral leader on the world stage.

Trump aside, the initial Republican response has been pretty strong, but I think ultimately it will play out much like the Kavanaugh scenario: 1. dismay from some corners with the possibility that what is claimed is true ; 2. soft demands for some kind of investigation; 3. fall back on Trump's talking points (we don't have all the facts/maybe it was someone else.)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/imsi-cellphones-spying-ottawa-1.4050049

Alex Mohajer @AlexMohajer
HEADS UP! Breaking now: #Indiana has purged 469,000 voters from their rolls, with tens of thousands purged illegally in violaton of a federal court order, according to brilliant work by @Greg_Palast. Voter rights are UNDER ACTIVE ASSAULT. 26 more states have also been purged.

The GOP has a literal coup going on right now.

They control the presidency with a minority of votes.

They control the senate with a minority of votes.

They control the house with a minority of votes.

And this is a minority of votes, even after they have suppressed voting across the nation - so it's actually a much smaller minority than it even looks.

They have now successfully stacked the federal judiciary with partisan conservatives for a generation.

They have literally taken over every branch of government, with only a small percentage of the voters' support.

They are quite right to fear the "Mob". The American Revolution was also the "Mob" rising up and overthrowing a gilded institutionalized ruling class.

The GOP has a literal coup going on right now.

They control the presidency with a minority of votes.

They control the senate with a minority of votes.

They control the house with a minority of votes.

And this is a minority of votes, even after they have suppressed voting across the nation - so it's actually a much smaller minority than it even looks.

They have now successfully stacked the federal judiciary with partisan conservatives for a generation.

They have literally taken over every branch of government, with only a small percentage of the voters' support.

They are quite right to fear the "Mob". The American Revolution was also the "Mob" rising up and overthrowing a gilded institutionalized ruling class.

good thing there's that 2nd amendment though

Nice to see at least a few conservatives finally wake up, though:

Max Boot
@MaxBoot
As I look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern GOP than all of the policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...en-over/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cf0b4ae40a66

You know how, after you watch a movie with a surprise ending, you sometimes replay the plot in your head to find the clues you missed the first time around? That’s what I’ve been doing lately with the history of conservatism — a movement I had been part of since my teenage days as a conservative columnist at the University of California at Berkeley in the early 1990s. In the decades since, I have written for numerous conservative publications and served as a foreign policy adviser to three Republican presidential candidates. It would be nice to think that Donald Trump is an anomaly who came out of nowhere to take over an otherwise sane and sober movement. But it just isn’t so.

Upon closer examination, it’s obvious that the history of modern conservative is permeated with racism, extremism, conspiracy-mongering, isolationism and know-nothingism. I disagree with progressives who argue that these disfigurations define the totality of conservatism; conservatives have also espoused high-minded principles that I still believe in, and the bigotry on the right appeared to be ameliorating in recent decades. But there has always been a dark underside to conservatism that I chose for most of my life to ignore. It’s amazing how little you can see when your eyes are closed!....

......As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me. This is what liberals have been saying for decades. I never believed them. Now I do, because Trump won by making the racist appeal, hitherto relatively subtle, obvious even to someone such as me who used to be in denial......

Last edited:
John Harwood @JohnJHarwood
21h
rise in Dow Jones average from Inauguration to Oct 11 of second year in office:
Trump 26%
Obama 38%

HUGE news by @Sabah on #Khashoggi :

• Khashoggi himself recorded his questioning via Apple Watch.
• Records were uploaded to ICloud
• Saudis questioned, tortured, and killed him
• Hit squad had access to watch via his fingerprints, deleted some files
• Phone had backup

HUGE news by @Sabah on #Khashoggi :

• Khashoggi himself recorded his questioning via Apple Watch.
• Records were uploaded to ICloud
• Saudis questioned, tortured, and killed him
• Hit squad had access to watch via his fingerprints, deleted some files
• Phone had backup

Other perspective: Turks have the Saudi compound totally bugged and know the truth. They are using Apple as cover to save diplomatic face, but they are leaking what Saudis have done.

I don’t believe her one bit when she says she’s not interested in running for POTUS. Her approval numbers are crazy good on both sides of the aisle. She knows what the polling says.

4 Republican policies led to a $779 billion deficit in 2018:

- Bush Tax Cuts: $488 B
- Trump Tax Cuts: $164 B
- Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan: $127 B
- Defense increases since 9/11: $156 B

Without tax cuts for the wealthy and endless wars they would've had a $156 billion SURPLUS.

Back